How might the SantaCruz rate? - Page 2 - Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 Old 04-28-2017, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Hyundai's "pickup" will not be a sporty 2+2 like the SC prototype, but a bloated Ridgeline crewcab clone.

Think the Kia Pickup prototype but with Hyundai badge - 4 doors, "pick up" styling. With as much off road capability as the Honda*. It's not going to be the body on frame of Jeep/Tacoma (and certainly not the solid axle of the Jeep).

And I somehow doubt anything from the Hyundai Porter makes its way into the pickup Hyundai sells in Canada and USA.

If that is what you want great, but that isn't the Santa Cruz which I was looking forward to.

*To be honest, I wasn't looking for real off road capability, rather awd for winter in Canada.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-Kia-Pickup.jpg
Views:	1005
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	330  
post #12 of 30 Old 05-08-2017, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
"Recent" news says it'll be coming in around 2021 now. 4x2

Hyundai's First Pickup Isn't Coming Until After 2020
post #13 of 30 Old 05-10-2017, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by don4331 View Post
Hyundai's "pickup" will not be a sporty 2+2 like the SC prototype, but a bloated Ridgeline crewcab clone.

Think the Kia Pickup prototype but with Hyundai badge - 4 doors, "pick up" styling. With as much off road capability as the Honda*. It's not going to be the body on frame of Jeep/Tacoma (and certainly not the solid axle of the Jeep).

And I somehow doubt anything from the Hyundai Porter makes its way into the pickup Hyundai sells in Canada and USA.

If that is what you want great, but that isn't the Santa Cruz which I was looking forward to.

*To be honest, I wasn't looking for real off road capability, rather awd for winter in Canada.
So essentially all you're looking for is something that can perform in winter time with less worry and the space of a bed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 30 Old 05-12-2017, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tacoma is a great product if you don't mind that size of bed. If you need something bigger, go Tundra. But the fact Tacoma sales have sky rocketed and are the best in its segment says something powerful.
post #15 of 30 Old 05-16-2017, 11:31 AM

The Tacoma is even more desirable when you look at the TRD Pro edition.
post #16 of 30 Old 05-17-2017, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
But Hyundai's "pickup" (Per my discussion with Hyundai) isn't a Tacoma (or Ranger or Colorado); it's a Ridgeline alternative. Add to that Honda was 1st to market in the class (Toyota was 1st in segment, Colorado/Canyon combined sell 75% of Taco) means Hyundai will be lucky to sell 30k/yr of a crew cab unibody pickup. (Ford Ranger and Jeep Pickup are going to carve their niche in this pie before 2021). The Santa Cruz prototype was new pie, and Hyundai could have been 1st in segment; but instead the white collars got nervous about striking out on their own, and are now doing a "me, too". Well, at least then they can't be accused of trying a product for which their was no market. Note: Taco sales took a hit in April and as a result sales are about 5% behind last year. Frontier sales are way down (75% of last year). In answer to the question, I am looking for something as/smaller than my existing Ranger 4x4 (more like size of 1st generation Ranger).
post #17 of 30 Old 05-19-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by don4331 View Post
But Hyundai's "pickup" (Per my discussion with Hyundai) isn't a Tacoma (or Ranger or Colorado); it's a Ridgeline alternative. Add to that Honda was 1st to market in the class (Toyota was 1st in segment, Colorado/Canyon combined sell 75% of Taco) means Hyundai will be lucky to sell 30k/yr of a crew cab unibody pickup. (Ford Ranger and Jeep Pickup are going to carve their niche in this pie before 2021). The Santa Cruz prototype was new pie, and Hyundai could have been 1st in segment; but instead the white collars got nervous about striking out on their own, and are now doing a "me, too". Well, at least then they can't be accused of trying a product for which their was no market. Note: Taco sales took a hit in April and as a result sales are about 5% behind last year. Frontier sales are way down (75% of last year). In answer to the question, I am looking for something as/smaller than my existing Ranger 4x4 (more like size of 1st generation Ranger).
Lucky for you Ford will be taking the ranger through some changes in time for its arrival in America and with that should come similar changes to other Ranger world markets. Depending on how long you want to wait, the new Ranger might be available when you're ready for a new truck.
post #18 of 30 Old 06-06-2017, 12:28 PM

Hey, going from Ranger to Ranger would be pretty darn cool. Having the first gen and then getting the new one would make me a pretty happy camper everytime I see them beside each other.

Think it'll be using the same axles as the Wrangler as well.
post #19 of 30 Old 06-09-2017, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Yea, apparently some new axles from Dana that are greatly improved and more efficient.

Anyone seen photos of the new Ranger Raptor ? Not too sure if it's actually a thing or just a fan rendering

post #20 of 30 Old 06-09-2017, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Too bad portal axles are well beyond the budgets of most of the well known truck makers these days otherwise it could do a lot for Raptor products. A Raptor Ranger with portal axles would do a lot of damage to its competitors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page