User Tag List

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 79 Old 03-11-2015, 06:02 PM
Dex

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
there will most certainly be a deisel for the world market...

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #22 of 79 Old 03-11-2015, 06:03 PM
Dex

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
IMO diesel is much better suited for use in the city. Good low end torque for low speed power and acceleration. Its also more fuel efficient overall. For being such a small truck, it will need to put up big mpg numbers to meet federal light truck mpg regulations which are based on the area footprint of the vehicle.
agreed, but the NOx is not nice as a pedestrian...

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #23 of 79 Old 03-14-2015, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
I hope that's not true. That would give so many Americans a reason to not even consider this vehicle. (And, yes, I know how good diesels are, nowadays; the average American driver, sadly, does not.)
I hope it's not but it is possible.
However seeing the current trend, one of the vehicles that have joined being the ram 1500 diesel, i can only hope that diesel powertrains go further down segment, only time will tell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 79 Old 03-19-2015, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santana View Post
I hope it's not but it is possible.
However seeing the current trend, one of the vehicles that have joined being the ram 1500 diesel, i can only hope that diesel powertrains go further down segment, only time will tell
There have been diesels in some trucks recently, but I feel as though its less likely for the Santa Cruz because it is a smaller vehicle that is somewhere between a car and truck.

post #25 of 79 Old 03-19-2015, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I feel like they will eventually have a diesel truck it maybe not be the Santa Cruz but Hyundai will comes with diesel truck in the near future. That's just where the trend is going. Especially since diesels are much more cleaner nowadays and quieter.
post #26 of 79 Old 03-19-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckAStone View Post
I feel like they will eventually have a diesel truck it maybe not be the Santa Cruz but Hyundai will comes with diesel truck in the near future. That's just where the trend is going. Especially since diesels are much more cleaner nowadays and quieter.
Not sure if they have plans for any other trucks to make their way to market, but with the growth they're having i wouldn't be all that surprised if they want to go upsegment from the SC
post #27 of 79 Old 03-19-2015, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Garage
The Colorado and Canyon will be coming with a diesel next year and its supposed to be able to break the 30 mpg barrier for trucks. I'm hoping that will help to build excitement for diesels in smaller trucks so when Hyundai brings out the diesel SC with close to 40 mpg it will have a good reception.

We are seeing more and more diesels in smaller mainstream vehicles. Obviously VW has always been there. But now you have the Chevy Cruze, upcoming Colorado/Canyon, upcoming Mazda 6 diesel (which I'm sure that engine will find its way into their crossovers).
Wisconsin Cruz likes this.
post #28 of 79 Old 03-20-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
The Colorado and Canyon will be coming with a diesel next year and its supposed to be able to break the 30 mpg barrier for trucks. I'm hoping that will help to build excitement for diesels in smaller trucks so when Hyundai brings out the diesel SC with close to 40 mpg it will have a good reception.

We are seeing more and more diesels in smaller mainstream vehicles. Obviously VW has always been there. But now you have the Chevy Cruze, upcoming Colorado/Canyon, upcoming Mazda 6 diesel (which I'm sure that engine will find its way into their crossovers).
The colorado already gets MPG's into the high 20's, breaking into and passing the 30mpg mark should be a breeze for them with a diesel engine.
post #29 of 79 Old 03-21-2015, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I don't know about diesels:

a. Gas engines with direct injection, turbos, etc, have closed the efficiency gap significantly.
b. Europe is banning diesels (Paris to be diesel free by 2020; London is following).
c. Current gas prices are down $1 USD/gallon since last year (Diesel hasn't come down as much ($1USD/gal more in parts of NE, and up here in Canada). Means a diesel will never pay for the higher initial cost.*

*Note my crystal ball isn't clear on when gas prices will go back up. But, I am betting Chevy delays the diesel in the Colorado/Canyon (or puts just enough out for marketing hype - pickup with best fuel economy; taking title from Ram).
post #30 of 79 Old 03-21-2015, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by don4331 View Post
I don't know about diesels:

a. Gas engines with direct injection, turbos, etc, have closed the efficiency gap significantly.
b. Europe is banning diesels (Paris to be diesel free by 2020; London is following).
c. Current gas prices are down $1 USD/gallon since last year (Diesel hasn't come down as much ($1USD/gal more in parts of NE, and up here in Canada). Means a diesel will never pay for the higher initial cost.*

*Note my crystal ball isn't clear on when gas prices will go back up. But, I am betting Chevy delays the diesel in the Colorado/Canyon (or puts just enough out for marketing hype - pickup with best fuel economy; taking title from Ram).
Assuming efficiency is the only consideration when choosing between a diesel and a low displacement DI turbo motor - yes diesel makes less sense. Although there will still be at least a 5mpg gap between the two.
However you can't ignore the performance benefits of diesel. The SC diesel is supposed to have about 190hp and 300 lb-ft of torque, while a high mpg gas motor will be probably be about 200 hp / 200 lb-ft. The diesel has 30 lb-ft more than even the 2.0T (currently 265 hp / 270 lb-ft) meaning that it will feel even more powerful than the 2.0T at lower rpms (where we spend most of our time anyway). So with the diesel you get most of the power of the top turbo motor with better efficiency than the smallest motor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page