Contemplating what a production Santa Cruz would be like - Page 2 - Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 Old 04-22-2015, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hyundai usually has great design for their production models. They are willing to take risks. So I think the Santa Cruz will not disappoint when it comes to looks. Hopefully the SC will be capable of doing a tiny bit of off-roading but I'm not expecting anything spectacular. I think the customer base would care more about fuel economy than off-road capability.

post #12 of 32 Old 04-22-2015, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
What helps is the concept we've seen isn't all to far off from being styled like a production model, not nearly as crazy as how some concepts are done.
post #13 of 32 Old 05-07-2015, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
It is a little concept-looking, but in a way a concept should be. You can basically tell what a production model should look like once they remove some of the bells and whistles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 Old 05-08-2015, 05:13 PM

IMO its the perfect middle ground between something production-like and futuristic enough, not completely out of production reality.
post #15 of 32 Old 05-09-2015, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
But what do you expect to be lost from the concept to the production model?

post #16 of 32 Old 05-09-2015, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
One thing I would not be surprised to loose is the extending bed. I know it is a very cool idea, but maybe it is cheaper for them to just extend the platform by 6 inches, or just include an aftermarket tailgate bed extender, or even have it like I think the Avalanche does and have the back seat fold down to extend the bed.. Who knows.
post #17 of 32 Old 05-09-2015, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Garage

Hyundai reps have mentioned several times that the styling was the main focus. After that would be the intended functionality.

This is what I think we could see in production:

-Wheels, tires, and fender opening will get 2-3 inches smaller. The concept has 22s. With the Tucson getting optional 19" wheels there is a good chance that the SC could get up to 20s to keep with that focus on styling.

-The cab will be extended behind the B-pillar/front door to make more room for the back seat. The suicide doors can stay. When you look at something like the BMW i3 they are very doable.

-The busy styling on the side will smooth out some. That door vent (its not even a fender vent and makes no sense) will go away.

-The headlights will have lenses that are flush with the body. The foglights can keep the same general shape, but will also be made more flush since right now they're huge air scoops - not good for aero.

-All the yellow will go away. Side mirrors will be black or body colored and normal sized.

-"Hoping" the tie-downs make it, but are optional. The separate plastic fenders make that possible.

-The extending bed is doable. I've done some patent research and there's many designs out there. Hyundai has a few patents on it. I think it can make it as an option. Add on the extending bed with a fold out extender and you get a pretty substantial bed. The tail lights will be the tricky part since with the tailgate down on the concept, the tail lights are not visible, and legally they need to be. They could make it like a traditional tailgate where the tailgate is only in the middle and the lights on each side will stay fixed on the end of the extending mechanism. The parting line through the lights would be similar to on the Tucson but the tailgate would obviously open in the other direction.

Other than that, its pretty production ready.

Wish I had photoshopping skills..

Last edited by BahamaTodd; 05-09-2015 at 06:31 PM.
post #18 of 32 Old 05-11-2015, 04:10 PM

Very good point about the tail lights with the tailgate down, which could be a prime reason for them to do away with that tail light setup, or at least keeping what keeps the truck legal visible and the rest on the gate.
post #19 of 32 Old 05-12-2015, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I think all of what you said makes good sense. I think that the grille will be a bit different too. I do hope that the tow hooks stick around because they look cool. I also think that the air vent on the side is not gonna make it.

Great post @BahamaTodd Thanks for your thoughts.

post #20 of 32 Old 05-12-2015, 04:33 PM

they might just giving us tow hooks that are stored in a kit or some storage area till they're needed.
don't them by default having it mounted to the exterior as we get it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page