Santa Cruz is Tailor-Made for Millenials (Who Don't Usually Buy Trucks) - Page 2 - Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 41 Old 11-03-2015, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
That looks like a Pontiac ute of some kind. Not sure i have seen one of those ever. Did it ever actually exist?

post #12 of 41 Old 11-04-2015, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It's a concept vehicle. We are all hoping that Hyundai HQ gives the green light to build it and sell in the US.
post #13 of 41 Old 11-05-2015, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup650 View Post
It's a concept vehicle. We are all hoping that Hyundai HQ gives the green light to build it and sell in the US.
Umm, it's a Pontiac though...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 41 Old 11-06-2015, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I found it! GM Pontiac G8. I think.
The Santa Cruz looks better anyways when comparing concept designs.
post #15 of 41 Old 11-08-2015, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruizin View Post
What's that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
That looks like a Pontiac ute of some kind. Not sure i have seen one of those ever. Did it ever actually exist?
yes, it was a ute with the g8 front end, and gm only ever showed it as a concept-- so production-wise it never existed.. but there is a place to get them from.. the conversion is supposed to be about $30k with a salvage title donor car..
Left Hand Utes USA

i found out about it when that pontiac concept was at the chicago auto show in 2008. and i've been digging for info ever since..

since the 4th gen(2004) pontiac gto, it and the g8 were both produced by gm's austrailian division-- Holden. their version is called the commodore, and they produced identical versions of the gto and g8 for the aussie market(with different badging of course) with one exception. a ute. gm makes a ute down there under the commodore namesake(they also make it for the south america market under the chevy lumina ss name, both are rhd though, so importation is more difficult), and for the concept, converted a holden to lhd, slapped a pontiac front end on it, and shipped it up here.

the concept never took off, but many of us got hooked anyways...

ford also makes a ute down there under the falcon namesake, the falcon is body-on-frame where the commodore is unibody, so the falcon is more of a workhorse where the commodore is more of a play truck.

there's also the chevy montana/tornado(market difference) or opel corsa utility-- same truck, different names for different markets..

if the santa cruz turns out to be as big as the ridgeline, i'm off to the classifieds for an old elcamino, or lefthandutes for a more modern version..

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lennon
The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 41 Old 11-08-2015, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Garage
The 2010 G8 Sport Truck was very much going to production - and then the bankruptcy happened in 2009 and Pontiac got the ax.

It was based on the Australian Holden Commodore Ute which is the truck version of the Commodore family which also includes a sedan and wagon. We get the sedan in the US as the Chevy SS.

post #17 of 41 Old 11-09-2015, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
That sucks, one the plus side, there will be guys who want it bad enough to import one, which brings to mind Hennessey Performance... if there's any shop that will import and tune one... it will be them.
post #18 of 41 Old 11-09-2015, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Garage
Only vehicles that have been certified for use here can be registered and driven so a it can't be legally imported. (Well it could, but you have to wait until a car is 25 years old to import it). You would have to buy a Chevy SS and import the Ute body and swap the components.
post #19 of 41 Old 11-13-2015, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
That sucks.
Going to be a lot of work to make that swap happen, sounds like something SEMA build worthy... too bad SEMA just passed, maybe next year?
post #20 of 41 Old 11-14-2015, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Only ute style vehicles except the el camino that I have heard of actually selling have been in australia.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page