Santa Cruz is Tailor-Made for Millenials (Who Don't Usually Buy Trucks) - Page 3 - Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 41 Old 11-16-2015, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
That's what i've been seeing as well. Overall the market for these seems rather small. Everywhere else needs more of the traditional truck.
post #22 of 41 Old 11-17-2015, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think city dwellers and maybe even those in the suburbs will really appreciate the Santa Cruz. Cities and burbs are high-population density areas, so there could potentially be many buyers. The people who need or want a full-size pickup truck will not be interested in the Santa Cruz. I hope Hyundai decides to build it. I will definitely buy one.
post #23 of 41 Old 11-18-2015, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santana View Post
That sucks, one the plus side, there will be guys who want it bad enough to import one, which brings to mind Hennessey Performance... if there's any shop that will import and tune one... it will be them.
lefthandutes.com

hennessey is a waste of money imo..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
Only vehicles that have been certified for use here can be registered and driven so a it can't be legally imported. (Well it could, but you have to wait until a car is 25 years old to import it). You would have to buy a Chevy SS and import the Ute body and swap the components.
that's the only option if you want a new one. too bad chevy priced the ss into the stratosphere.

but if you look through that lefthandutes site, they've done plenty of older ute conversions based on the g8 or gto platform.

i looked into it right after pontiac folded, and they were quoted in an article saying that the conversion costs about $30k, assuming they can locate a salvage-titled american car for the base of the conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Only ute style vehicles except the el camino that I have heard of actually selling have been in australia.
mexico has some successful lines(tornado), as well as south america(lumina). but none meet US safety regulations, so you either need to wait 25 years, or you can try to import just a chassis, and then motor-swap it and title it as a kit car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lennon
The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 41 Old 11-19-2015, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
They don't meet safety standards? Why? is it the vehicle itself, or is it something fundamental about the ute body type?

post #25 of 41 Old 11-19-2015, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
They don't meet safety standards? Why? is it the vehicle itself, or is it something fundamental about the ute body type?
Its not that it doesn't meet the standard. It has to be certified by the government to be legally sold here for emissions, crash safety, and other requirements (eg. lighting performance, sound levels, etc). Someone has to do all that testing which is a very extensive process, so it is not cheap.

Then think of all the records systems there are where the VIN, make and model have to be identified; insurance, etc.

Also not to mention Australian cars are right hand drive.

Last edited by BahamaTodd; 11-19-2015 at 04:39 PM.
post #26 of 41 Old 11-19-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
lefthandutes.com

hennessey is a waste of money imo..
That's what i've noticed recently, it seems they price partly on branding since they've built that up quite a bit and i'm sure we all know how branding plays into that especially when it's a coming from a company like that.
post #27 of 41 Old 11-24-2015, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
no. this is for any car outside of the US market. any vehicle older then 25 years old can be legally imported, but anything newer then that needs to be certified to meet US safety regulations--all countries have their own safety regulations, and the US has some of the strictest, so most don't meet US standards. there are some that can be imported, but it's a very specific list, and most are rare exotics, or people with too much money and/or political power lobbied to get a specific car made legal to import.

this is some good info on it, and if this specific linked article doesn't cover it, check some of his others concerning that car. he went into a lot of specific detail about importing cars while going through the process.

I?m Importing A 1990 Nissan Skyline GT-R From Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lennon
The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time.

post #28 of 41 Old 11-25-2015, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I'm sure if there was enough demand they would sell utes in the US, but I just don't think that is what people are looking for. Smaller trucks, yes. Utes, not quite.

post #29 of 41 Old 12-01-2015, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cool diesel debacle

the VW diesel debacle has to give Hyundai concern...yet it could be viewed as a golden opportunity IF the engine described in the concept vehicle can deliver acceptable emissions levels! The vacuum created in the diesel market by the volkswagen shenanigans could provide a boost to an independently certified Hyundai green diesel. (I know...questionable terminology) The real key to acceptable sales figures might just a hybrid option and/ or 4 cylinder turbo. The Santa Cruz design is a home run and I believe their demographic is bigger than many nay sayers will admit.

In the early 2000's Toyota almost passed on building the BB which came to be the Scion XB which prompted the Kia Soul, thus creating a sizeable segment of compact van/utility/wagon/hatch vehicles. Please bury the Subaru brat compares because it's like comparing kindergarten finger painting to the Mona Lisa!
I'm nearly eligible for Medicare, currently drive an XB, and have already given a deposit to my local dealer for first right of refusal on their 1st Santa Cruz
post #30 of 41 Old 12-02-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmo View Post
the VW diesel debacle has to give Hyundai concern...yet it could be viewed as a golden opportunity IF the engine described in the concept vehicle can deliver acceptable emissions levels! The vacuum created in the diesel market by the volkswagen shenanigans could provide a boost to an independently certified Hyundai green diesel. (I know...questionable terminology) The real key to acceptable sales figures might just a hybrid option and/ or 4 cylinder turbo. The Santa Cruz design is a home run and I believe their demographic is bigger than many nay sayers will admit.

In the early 2000's Toyota almost passed on building the BB which came to be the Scion XB which prompted the Kia Soul, thus creating a sizeable segment of compact van/utility/wagon/hatch vehicles. Please bury the Subaru brat compares because it's like comparing kindergarten finger painting to the Mona Lisa!
I'm nearly eligible for Medicare, currently drive an XB, and have already given a deposit to my local dealer for first right of refusal on their 1st Santa Cruz
Toyota seems like they could be coming back strong with the upcoming scion iR, just not sure if it can overtake what the Kia did, but it will be interesting to see.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page