Santa Cruz is Tailor-Made for Millenials (Who Don't Usually Buy Trucks) - Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 10-29-2015, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Santa Cruz is Tailor-Made for Millenials (Who Don't Usually Buy Trucks)

The Hyundai Santa Cruz is the first "crossover truck" that I have heard of. Given that crossovers are so popular right now, it seems like a smart play to create a truck that also fits in with the crossover category. Hyundai has done extensive market research that has caused them to rethink the truck. They have developed the Santa Cruz to appeal to millenials, who are currently not interested in a slate of truck options that just don't play to their needs.

Quote:
Hyundai has done serious research -- they said it's one of the most researched vehicles they've ever created -- and firmly believes there's a market for this among millennials.
To give some more detail as to the context of the truck market and how millenials relate to it, consider these statistics:

- Only 7 percent of vehicle shoppers under 30 buy trucks.
- 80 percent of all vehicle shoppers don't even consider today's trucks.
- The truck market has fallen 5 percent in the last five years.

Most people, even those who do buy trucks, don't ever need to use the full capability of a truck. That means that trucks are generally over-capable, and over-priced. The average full-size truck in 2013 was close to $40,000. That is far from entry-level.

So Hyundai took all this into consideration when designing the Santa Cruz. It is capable of hauling things like furniture, hockey gear, and mountain bikes, but not a dozen bales of hay or a tractor. It has fuel economy that should measure in the high 30 in terms of mpg. It's starting price will be far below the average $40,000 cost of a full-size pickup truck.

Hyundai has rethought the truck. It has eliminated size, capability and cost just for the sake of it, and has refocused on affordability, capability that is based in reality, and a compact size that can appeal to urban dwellers (who are usually younger), and not just rural people.

Is this what appeals to you about the Santa Cruz? Has Hyundai hit the nail on the head?

Hyundai Santa Cruz Crossover Truck Concept First Look

garmo likes this.
post #2 of 41 Old 10-29-2015, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Pretty much hit it on the head. I'll look at a larger truck when I'm older with more toys like an ATV but for now the Santa Cruz will be enough for my needs.
And if it's affordable with great fuel economy then all the better for millennials who doesn't have the money needed for a full sized truck.
post #3 of 41 Old 10-29-2015, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Makes sense. Even more sense when you look at what these people do and how a type of vehicle can help them do that, then there's what they want out of a vehicle, what will appeal to them or could potentially appeal to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 10-30-2015, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
A few months ago I started counting trucks on the road. I counted as many as I could that were only carrying 1 or 2 passengers, and that were empty in the bed. I was gonna compare it to those trucks that were actually being utilized as "trucks". I quickly gave up. Nearly every truck I saw was NOT being used for the purposes for which it was built.
I believe in Hyundai's research and believe they have it right. The only remaining question is when can I go make my deposit???
Santana and Wisconsin Cruz like this.
post #5 of 41 Old 10-30-2015, 04:22 PM

I've seen the same thing, even when it comes to the city where for those commutes a truck isn't needed, I still saw people using them and these trucks always stayed clean, never a spec of dirt or mud.
post #6 of 41 Old 10-30-2015, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Some people just like the size. It's not about what it can do, it's about sitting high up in a really big truck that lets you look down on the rest of the cars on the road. At least that's how I have come to understand it.

post #7 of 41 Old 11-01-2015, 02:30 PM

Yes that's part of it, another thing is trucks are at often associated as being more of a sporty product that attracts an enthusiast following, more than what the typical SUV/CUV crowd is able to pull in.
post #8 of 41 Old 11-01-2015, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
i'm only here because gm won't sell me one of these

Two Door likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lennon
The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 41 Old 11-02-2015, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I think that smaller trucks have greater potential to be seen as performance models. That's just my opinion I suppose. Large trucks for work, but small trucks for fun, performance, and adaptability.

post #10 of 41 Old 11-03-2015, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i'm only here because gm won't sell me one of these
What's that?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page