LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 01-14-2016, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
Don't get me wrong; I absolutely think they should have a luxury brand. I just don't think it is wise to use "Genesis" as the brand name. Imagine if Chevrolet decided they were going to create an upscale brand and called it "Corvette". Then, they had small Corvette models, large Corvette models, etc. It would be massively confusing, to say the least.
There is actually a Corvette sub-brand rumor going around. lol

I think using Genesis is a good idea. Its their first successful premium car so it has some equity. Brand recognition is extremely important for a luxury brand and people already associate Genesis as a higher end Hyundai. Unless a brand is very strong with a long history, alpha-numeric model names are a must to ensure the focus stays on the brand and not a particular model (Cadillac currently has that problem with the Escalade). If Hyundai went with a new brand name, they would lose the name Genesis and its equity, and would be starting from scratch.
post #12 of 23 Old 01-15-2016, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Quote:
Don't get me wrong; I absolutely think they should have a luxury brand. I just don't think it is wise to use "Genesis" as the brand name. Imagine if Chevrolet decided they were going to create an upscale brand and called it "Corvette". Then, they had small Corvette models, large Corvette models, etc. It would be massively confusing, to say the least.
I sort of agree with that since the first time we seen a genesis was as a coupe, when the sedan came to market it was confusing, you had a V6 coupe with no luxury and then a sedan that's just all about luxury.

But now that has me starting to think in the future they could drop the Genesis name on the coupe and keep it strictly to luxury vehicles.
post #13 of 23 Old 01-15-2016, 03:05 PM

Garage
The coupe will definitely be dropping the Genesis name.
Santana likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 Old 01-16-2016, 09:53 PM

Did you by any chance hear what they might call it one genesis is dropped?
post #15 of 23 Old 01-16-2016, 09:57 PM

Garage
No I didn't hear anything, but I find it very hard to believe that a coupe in their volume brand will retain the name of their new luxury brand.
post #16 of 23 Old 01-19-2016, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
I don't think a Corvette luxury brand would be that confusing. Corvette already has a distinct emblem and identity. I would liken it to Porsche. Porsche is a brand name, but you can also say "a Porsche" a have an idea of what that is even though you don't know which specific model it is. genesis already has a distinct emblem, and now the brand name can be followed by a designation to differentiate the models. The only thing to remember would be the year that Genesis became an independent brand. Everything before that would just refer to the Genesis sedan.

post #17 of 23 Old 01-19-2016, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I guess it couldn't be any worse than trying to convince people that this isn't your grandfather's Buick, while continuing to put out stuff that my Grandfather would buy, and he'd be 115, if he were still alive.

TimmyB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Four-time Hyundai/Kia owner
Current: 2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, 2010 Tucson Limited, 1988 Mercedes Benz 560SL
post #18 of 23 Old 01-20-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
I guess it couldn't be any worse than trying to convince people that this isn't your grandfather's Buick, while continuing to put out stuff that my Grandfather would buy, and he'd be 115, if he were still alive.
It's not hard as long as they get design and the overall image of the product right, after that its easy to see who its for. That's what got them into this mess, they went with old man designs.
post #19 of 23 Old 01-21-2016, 09:21 AM

Garage
Buick is doing better than ever - here in the US and in its primary market - China. That is the only reason Buick was saved during the bankruptcy. GM has their other brands for flashy exciting vehicles. Can't kick them for wanting to appeal to all corners of the market.

Though it wouldn't hurt to have more vehicles like the stunning Avista concept they recently unveiled.
Avista Concept: Sport Coupe - Buick

post #20 of 23 Old 01-21-2016, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
Buick is doing better than ever - here in the US and in its primary market - China. That is the only reason Buick was saved during the bankruptcy. GM has their other brands for flashy exciting vehicles. Can't kick them for wanting to appeal to all corners of the market.

Though it wouldn't hurt to have more vehicles like the stunning Avista concept they recently unveiled.
Avista Concept: Sport Coupe - Buick

Buick is doing awesome because those millions of die-hard GM buyers (and, you know who they are, Todd!) have no options left. Buy a Chevy, spend big and buy a Caddy, or split the difference.

And, yes, if they come to market with more cars that look like THIS, then (and only then) they can say "This isn't your grandfather's Buick"!

TimmyB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Four-time Hyundai/Kia owner
Current: 2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, 2010 Tucson Limited, 1988 Mercedes Benz 560SL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page