User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 09-24-2015, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Well scaling things up is riding a wave forward, but making up for a loss is trying to figure out what to do with something extra. It is much easier to add more than it is to take away from stuff you have already done in the auto industry. A car built is built, and a new car requires R+D. A Jeep Wrangler pickup requires the modification of something that already exists.

post #12 of 21 Old 09-25-2015, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Jeep had a truck once upon a time. It was called the Comanche. It wasn't Wrangler-based, though. I would not buy a Wrangler-based truck. I like the Hyundai Santa Cruz Concept; I think the two concepts mentioned are for completely different sets of people. I bet the Santa Cruz would have a much smaller turn radius than most pickup trucks! Sweet.
post #13 of 21 Old 09-25-2015, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup650 View Post
Jeep had a truck once upon a time. It was called the Comanche. It wasn't Wrangler-based, though. I would not buy a Wrangler-based truck. I like the Hyundai Santa Cruz Concept; I think the two concepts mentioned are for completely different sets of people. I bet the Santa Cruz would have a much smaller turn radius than most pickup trucks! Sweet.
Good point on turning radius, something bound to make it slightly favorable over others, but of course there will be many other factors for buyers to factor in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 Old 09-30-2015, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Wow the Comanche is old. Just looked it up and it was a design from 1992. It may be time for Jeep to come out with a new one.
post #15 of 21 Old 09-30-2015, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The Comanche doesn't look bad for a '92 Jeep vehicle. I think they are smart to make it Wrangler based this time around though. I don't think they could compete with other trucks out there, and they'd be battling Ram, which is under FCA as well and that doesn't make much sense.

post #16 of 21 Old 10-01-2015, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Let's hope the latest diesel scandal doesn't affect the specs of future diesel trucks. There must be some kind of trade off in order raise the emissions standard.

Think I read somewhere that lists the Jeep Renegade 2.0 as a vehicle exceeding the emissions standard.
Buttercup650 likes this.
post #17 of 21 Old 10-06-2015, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
They didn't exceed the emissions standard, it was just higher than what was initially reported.
post #18 of 21 Old 10-06-2015, 02:41 PM

That and they programmed the vehicle's computer to read as running clean when going for emissions test.
post #19 of 21 Old 10-13-2015, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
You're not going far enough back with the Comanche (which is Cherokee based).

The Scrambler was Jeep's pickup based on the CJ chassis. A 2018 repeat is just a modified set of frame dies (~15" longer behind rear wheels, matching sheet metal <minus rear doors from 4dr>) and a truck cab. Note: It was also a production convertible pickup - remove the hard top and you could install the soft top or leave it open.

Dodge has released the sheet metal/truck cab in a kit to convert the 4 door Wrangler JK to a pickup - expensive and the box is Scambler short as they never extended the rear frame. But, if it is a factory conversion, price wouldn't be different than any other Wrangler and box <frame> could be extended to match those of the other mid-size manufacturers.

But again, Scrambler sales were only 26k. Doesn't really make up the difference of moving the existing products out of Toledo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep-scrambler.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	282  
Buttercup650 likes this.
post #20 of 21 Old 10-13-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don4331 View Post
You're not going far enough back with the Comanche (which is Cherokee based).

The Scrambler was Jeep's pickup based on the CJ chassis. A 2018 repeat is just a modified set of frame dies (~15" longer behind rear wheels, matching sheet metal <minus rear doors from 4dr>) and a truck cab. Note: It was also a production convertible pickup - remove the hard top and you could install the soft top or leave it open.

Dodge has released the sheet metal/truck cab in a kit to convert the 4 door Wrangler JK to a pickup - expensive and the box is Scambler short as they never extended the rear frame. But, if it is a factory conversion, price wouldn't be different than any other Wrangler and box <frame> could be extended to match those of the other mid-size manufacturers.

But again, Scrambler sales were only 26k. Doesn't really make up the difference of moving the existing products out of Toledo.
Too bad it's hard to spot any of those these days, even at shows they seem to be uncommon to come across!

Maybe with a Jeep pickup returning we might see a classic show up somewhere with the new one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page