User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-16-2017, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hyundai Santa Cruz vs Honda Ridgeline

Here is a short article about what Hyundai should do to win the competition against Honda Ridgeline. According to GearsofBiz, the main weapon in Santa Cruz hands should be its low MSRP, exemplary towing capacity, and good fuel efficiency. What do you think will help Hyundai Santa Cruz win this battle against Honda Ridgeline.

To read more gearsofbiz.com/hyundai-santa-cruz-vs-honda-ridgeline-what-hyundai-needs-to-win/202298
post #2 of 7 Old 11-24-2017, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
At this rate its almost even game but considering the fact that nothing about the production Santa Cruz is set in stone, we won't know exactly what it will be like. But what I can say is that if they offer us an SC that is a true rival to the Tacoma and Colorado and not so much the Ridgeline then they will see some reasonable level of success.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-30-2017, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I think Honda Ridgeline shouldn't be a serious snag on SC's way. The most important rivals for Santa Cruz will be Tacoma, Colorado and probably upcoming Ford Ranger Raptor. I think it will be really hard to beat these competitors, so Hyundai needs to come up with some really impressive advantages in their Santa Cruz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-01-2017, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
If Hyundai wants to beat the Honda Ridgeline then it'll need to at least haul up to 5,000 pounds and have a paylod allowance of more than 1,584 pounds. There's also the question of engine and we don't know what Hyundai has in store for the Santa Cruz.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-01-2017, 09:39 PM

I guess I maybe wrong on this but I don't see the Santa Cruz really competing with the Ridgeline, Colorado, or the Tacoma. The last ones are basically lightweight trucks and the Ridgeline is a slight step down from a truck. What I got from reading about the Santa Cruz was it was going to be a similar concept of an updated Subaru Baja. The Baja was based on an Outback but instead of the back cargo area you got a little truck bed. What I got out of the Santa Cruz was that it would be based off of the Hyundai Tucson, an SUV where instead of the the back area you get a small truck bed. If you thought the Santa Cruz was going to be in the same league as Ridgeline, Colorado, or the Tacoma (all trucks) then why on earth would you be waiting around until 2021 when you could just go out and buy a truck now. I absolutely loved my Baja but it grew old. I want an updated version! The Ridgeline is a small stepdown from a truck whereas the Santa Cruz would be a small step up from a car/SUV. In this role the Santa Cruz would kill it. I don't care about towing capacity. But I would kill for the small truckbed to throw a mountain bike into or make Home Depot trips in.

Something that always struck me was that the government and insurance companies always labeled the Baja as a "truck". It was never really a truck to me but a car with a small bed in back.

Chris

Last edited by Chris9702l; 12-01-2017 at 09:48 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-04-2017, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Chris:

Hyundai is waiting for the next version of the Tuscon which is supposed to be significantly larger (8 passenger). The Santa Cruz would then be built off that platform.

Therefore it would be similar in size Colorado/Tacoma/New Ranger. For intents, it would be Hyundai's version of Ridgeline, same unibody, same size, same overall styling (4 doors/4' box).

And to be honest, having waited this long, build Santa Cruz on existing plant would be mistake give the new platform in due before '20.

No one is willing to risk $1B developing a vehicle which they will only sell 30k* units total when they could sell 25k** year over year of a larger one.

I wanted it to do same things as my recently deceased Ranger - economic daily driver, ability to throw Home Depot/garden center load/mtb in box or tow the jet ski to the lake in summer/sleds to mtns in winter (3k towing would be nice). As it is, the Escape + trailer is the solution and it is PIA to have to reserve and rent a u-haul trailer when I need a cargo trailer, but there isn't room in garage for 3 trailers (thx to high ceiling/lift there is room for 2).

*Baja and Rampage total sales numbers were around that range.
**Ridgeline numbers are ~25k/yr.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-09-2019, 02:56 AM

At this rate its almost even game but considering the fact that nothing about the production Santa Cruz is set in stone, we won't know exactly what it will be like.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page