Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I’ve had had my Santa Cruz SEL AWD for a week now and the check engine light just came on, odometer is at 865 miles. It’s not in limp mode and everything seems to functioning normally. The only thing I noticed is a very faint burning oil smell when checking the oil after it came on, but not 100% sure on that. Has anyone else experienced any similar issues yet? I contacted the dealer to set an appt with service but still waiting to hear back. I will update this thread when I have more info

· Administrator
455 Posts
Welcome to the Santa Cruz Forums, @Mattress1992!

"Check engine" lights/messages can come on for dozens of different reasons - we'd probably guess incorrectly even if we tried.

Since the vehicle is in warranty, taking it to the dealer is the correct action.

If you're curious and impatient, stores like AutoZone will read the codes for free.

Either way, please let us know what the diagnosis and solution is!

· Registered
144 Posts
Hello,

I’ve had had my Santa Cruz SEL AWD for a week now and the check engine light just came on, odometer is at 865 miles. It’s not in limp mode and everything seems to functioning normally. The only thing I noticed is a very faint burning oil smell when checking the oil after it came on, but not 100% sure on that. Has anyone else experienced any similar issues yet? I contacted the dealer to set an appt with service but still waiting to hear back. I will update this thread when I have more info
check your gas cap?

· Registered
Hampton Gray SEL Premium
262 Posts
Plug in a cheap OBD II tester or go to your local Autozone and they'll do it. As mentioned, could be any number of dozens of things. The code reader will tell you what it is. Friend of mine has a Tundra truck and threw a light. Dealer wanted $95 and a 3 week wait to diagnose. I plugged in my tester, determined it was a freak anomaly, cleared it and he's been good to go ever since.

· Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,321 Posts
/\
This. I bought a BlueDriver several years back, not the cheapest one out there, but very reliable and the updates happen in the app on your phone. Plus, no wires. Not only will it give you the codes, but it can also give you a list of the most common causes/solutions to them. It's great to ease your mind that it's not something horrible. Highly recommend having one - regardless of the type - so you can access the codes yourself and don't have to blindly trust the service departments. Plus, for what most of them charge to pull codes, they pay for themselves instantly.

· Registered
'23 Limited AWD Blue Stone
2,536 Posts
I too got a OBD-II dongle that sends the data to my phone. Great little device that can not only give / clear codes but can view live engine data which can be helpful to understand what is going on. I've pulled codes on my Nissan and Dodge that indicated some sensors (cam position and steering pump pressure) were bad. Both were super cheap and easy DYI replacement thanks to a YouTube search. So easy in fact that going to the dealership would have taken 10X longer and who knows how much $$$

· Registered
1,321 Posts
Yes! I love the live data streams on the BlueDriver. Great for catching those random things that NEVER happen when a mechanic is trying to replicate a condition. I always enjoyed watching the short term fuel trim numbers on my old Sierra. No O2 sensor issues on that ol' girl! I really do need to put it up for sale though ... I just keep putting it off. LOL

· Registered
9 Posts
Hello,

I am right now at the shoulder of the Florida Turnpike in south Florida stuck with my brand new Santa Cruz SEL and it is under 2,000 miles. Engine issues and being towed to the dealership for repairs. An awful vehicle and it SHOULD NOT be having these issues. I wish I could return it and get a real quality vehicle , a Toyota. Piece of crap!!!

· Registered
9 Posts
And is it a non-turbo or turbo/DCT model?
Non turbo. Was getting on the highway when the entire car started violently shaking and the dashboard lights went on. Called Hyundai and they ran a remote diagnostic. Major issues with engine module. Now roadside assistance can’t find someone to tow me. What a horrible car and a terrible company. My first and last Hyundai.

· Registered
1,321 Posts
Soooooooooooo an electronics issue makes it a horrible car and a terrible company?

I should point you to Chevrolet then! After spitting a series of codes/reduced power/limp mode events last winter (and just a few months old), the dealer not only said keep driving it, but threw a bunch of completely band-aid and unrelated 'fixes' at it until the problem I was trying to point out to them reared itself by blowing out the front and rear crank seals. Then, at 5 months old, we were in a loaner for a full month while they waited on parts and had to pull the entire motor/transmission out to fix it. And that wasn't the first problem we had with it. Just the biggest.

Part of the reason for us buying a 2nd new vehicle a year after the last one is we don't trust the Chevy to actually get us to and from work in the winter. First and only vehicle I've ever had that issue with.

I love when people judge an entire lineup and manufacturer based on ONE incident in ONE vehicle. Yes, it absolutely sucks when it happens - I've never once in my life had a new vehicle that didn't have SOMETHING happen in the first year of ownership. And as vehicles get more and more complicated it gets increasingly more difficult to make anything that is flawless. Especially with electronics that can look perfectly fine, but have some kind of little flaw in a circuit board or processor or resistor or anything that will make everything else feel like it's blowing up.

But hey, with all the folks looking to buy right now, I'm sure you could turn around and sell it pretty quick. Enjoy your Toyota. I hear that not a single one ever built has EVER had a problem or defect.

· Registered
1,184 Posts
For many, vehicles are mysterious, near-magic contraptions which are obviously beyond the ken of mortal man. Buying brand new gives comfort that this will insulate them from the various problems and repairs needed by older vehicles - and, statistically, it probably does.

Of course, staying away from golf courses on rainy days is a helpful statistical bet-hedger, too. But, every so often, lightening just... strikes... BANG!

@Jguimara10, I'm sorry this bad fortune befell you. I hope you will continue to post updates, as we are all following any news of failures with great interest.

Whether Hyundai deserves anyone's business depends not so much on producing a 'perfect' product, but rather, in how well they treat their customer when a black swan event like your engine failure occurs.

Good luck to you.

Reactions: SkyCruz and JMII

· Registered
'23 Limited AWD Blue Stone
2,536 Posts
And as vehicles get more and more complicated it gets increasingly more difficult to make anything that is flawless. Especially with electronics that can look perfectly fine, but have some kind of little flaw in a circuit board or processor or resistor or anything that will make everything else feel like it's blowing up.
Yep... and ironically Toyota had a serious problem with electronic throttle control "whiskers": https://www.eetimes.com/toyota-accelerations-revisited-hanging-by-a-tin-whisker/

· Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL AWD Black Beauty
433 Posts
Hello,

Have you had a resolution to the check engine light?

· Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
1,997 Posts
Non turbo. Was getting on the highway when the entire car started violently shaking and the dashboard lights went on. Called Hyundai and they ran a remote diagnostic. Major issues with engine module. Now roadside assistance can’t find someone to tow me. What a horrible car and a terrible company. My first and last Hyundai.
Sorry to hear about this. Hopefully Hyundai will take care of you and promptly fix it in a timely manner. It will come down to how the Hyundai dealer assigned to it and Hyundai itself treats you on what your opinion will ultimately be of Hyundai. Unfortunately their dealer network sales departments have proven to be real frustration centers for most of us. Let's hope the repair departments are more customer oriented and care about their clients. Wishing you a quick resolution.

· Registered
9 Posts
For many, vehicles are mysterious, near-magic contraptions which are obviously beyond the ken of mortal man. Buying brand new gives comfort that this will insulate them from the various problems and repairs needed by older vehicles - and, statistically, it probably does.

Of course, staying away from golf courses on rainy days is a helpful statistical bet-hedger, too. But, every so often, lightening just... strikes... BANG!

@Jguimara10, I'm sorry this bad fortune befell you. I hope you will continue to post updates, as we are all following any news of failures with great interest.

Whether Hyundai deserves anyone's business depends not so much on producing a 'perfect' product, but rather, in how well they treat their customer when a black swan event like your engine failure occurs.

Good luck to you.
I definitely appreciate your comments and concerns. Unfortunately the issue continues and the response by some departments within the Hyundai organization has been very poor. I left my vehicle at the local Hyundai dealership yesterday around 2 PM and today, I left 2 messages for service advisor requesting an update but I never heard back from him. I had go to the dealership in person and track down the employee. I was notified that the issue was a defective engine coil (connected to spark plug). To my dismay, the part is unavailable and the availability date is yet to be determined. I use the Santa Cruz to pull my work trailer and now I am left holding the bag and unable to secure a vehicle with a tow hitch. This is already costing a lot of money from lost wages as well as my time. My wife owns a 2021 Kia telluride (with 7,000 miles) and 3 months ago the dashboard screens went dark and none of the electronic systems were functional. She driving on a busy highway. Kia couldn’t find anything wrong with it. The bottom line: I WILL NEVER PURCHASE A KIA OR HYUNDAI PRODUCT!!!!! It lacks quality. 😡😡😡

· Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Limited
243 Posts
I definitely appreciate your comments and concerns. Unfortunately the issue continues and the response by some departments within the Hyundai organization has been very poor. I left my vehicle at the local Hyundai dealership yesterday around 2 PM and today, I left 2 messages for service advisor requesting an update but I never heard back from him. I had go to the dealership in person and track down the employee. I was notified that the issue was a defective engine coil (connected to spark plug). To my dismay, the part is unavailable and the availability date is yet to be determined. I use the Santa Cruz to pull my work trailer and now I am left holding the bag and unable to secure a vehicle with a tow hitch. This is already costing a lot of money from lost wages as well as my time. My wife owns a 2021 Kia telluride (with 7,000 miles) and 3 months ago the dashboard screens went dark and none of the electronic systems were functional. She driving on a busy highway. Kia couldn’t find anything wrong with it. The bottom line: I WILL NEVER PURCHASE A KIA OR HYUNDAI PRODUCT!!!!! It lacks quality. 😡😡😡
I completely understand your frustration. Any update?

· Registered
9 Posts
Hello,

I also own a brand new Santa Cruz and already had serious issues with it. The problem was allegedly fix (a defective engine coil) but the vehicle is not responding the way it was before. It is burning more gasoline and the transmission seems to be “hunting” for the right gear, specially when I am pulling my 5 by 9 trailer. Looking back, I should’ve never bought this car. No quality in the Hyundai vehicle manufacturing!!!!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.