Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I’ve had had my Santa Cruz SEL AWD for a week now and the check engine light just came on, odometer is at 865 miles. It’s not in limp mode and everything seems to functioning normally. The only thing I noticed is a very faint burning oil smell when checking the oil after it came on, but not 100% sure on that. Has anyone else experienced any similar issues yet? I contacted the dealer to set an appt with service but still waiting to hear back. I will update this thread when I have more info

·
Administrator
99 Posts
Welcome to the Santa Cruz Forums, @Mattress1992!

"Check engine" lights/messages can come on for dozens of different reasons - we'd probably guess incorrectly even if we tried.

Since the vehicle is in warranty, taking it to the dealer is the correct action.

If you're curious and impatient, stores like AutoZone will read the codes for free.

Either way, please let us know what the diagnosis and solution is!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had the light come on previously on my other truck just because I didn't tighten the gas cap properly... it needs to click tight or one of the issues is the check engine light. But I'd get the code read to be certain.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hello,

I’ve had had my Santa Cruz SEL AWD for a week now and the check engine light just came on, odometer is at 865 miles. It’s not in limp mode and everything seems to functioning normally. The only thing I noticed is a very faint burning oil smell when checking the oil after it came on, but not 100% sure on that. Has anyone else experienced any similar issues yet? I contacted the dealer to set an appt with service but still waiting to hear back. I will update this thread when I have more info
check your gas cap?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Plug in a cheap OBD II tester or go to your local Autozone and they'll do it. As mentioned, could be any number of dozens of things. The code reader will tell you what it is. Friend of mine has a Tundra truck and threw a light. Dealer wanted $95 and a 3 week wait to diagnose. I plugged in my tester, determined it was a freak anomaly, cleared it and he's been good to go ever since.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,074 Posts
/\
This. I bought a BlueDriver several years back, not the cheapest one out there, but very reliable and the updates happen in the app on your phone. Plus, no wires. Not only will it give you the codes, but it can also give you a list of the most common causes/solutions to them. It's great to ease your mind that it's not something horrible. Highly recommend having one - regardless of the type - so you can access the codes yourself and don't have to blindly trust the service departments. Plus, for what most of them charge to pull codes, they pay for themselves instantly.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I too got a OBD-II dongle that sends the data to my phone. Great little device that can not only give / clear codes but can view live engine data which can be helpful to understand what is going on. I've pulled codes on my Nissan and Dodge that indicated some sensors (cam position and steering pump pressure) were bad. Both were super cheap and easy DYI replacement thanks to a YouTube search. So easy in fact that going to the dealership would have taken 10X longer and who knows how much $$$

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,074 Posts
Yes! I love the live data streams on the BlueDriver. Great for catching those random things that NEVER happen when a mechanic is trying to replicate a condition. I always enjoyed watching the short term fuel trim numbers on my old Sierra. No O2 sensor issues on that ol' girl! I really do need to put it up for sale though ... I just keep putting it off. LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts