Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
101 - 120 of 138 Posts
The Ridgeline allows you to use its AC outlet in 150W mode in accessory mode without the engine running for up to 60 minutes at a time. You can switch the vehicle off and back to accessory for another 60 minutes. The AC outlet will turn off automatically before the battery discharges. 400W mode, however, requires the engine to be running with the transmission in park. Even 400W greatly limits the usefulness of this feature - that won't run most power tools or even a blender for making frozen margaritas at a tailgate party; although, the Truck-Bed Audio System is a neat parlor trick and pairs nicely with the LED Christmas light for use in a parade. :)

One use I found for the AC outlet is to power a slow cooker while transporting food in the trunk.

At 115V/150W - yes, it’s pretty much useless, except to charge your phone, laptop and run some LED Christmas lights…
Did anyone at Hyundai tell you it would do more than 115V/150W? They did not. This is also not a truck for construction contractors. What you're doing is analyzing a tool not meant for what you intended and being salty that it doesn't do something you didn't pay for.

Did anyone at Hyundai tell you it would do more than 115V/150W? They did not. This is also not a truck for construction contractors. What you're doing is analyzing a tool not meant for what you intended and being salty that it doesn't do something you didn't pay for.
The power rating is literally right on the cover for the plug😂
I’d be interested, what power tool you have used...
like I said, It will charge your phone, laptop, LED Christmas lights etc… you can plug in a 32” Flatscreen and X-Box (but not together)
Digital camera Point-and-shoot camera Reflex camera Camera lens Camera accessory

(Got caught up in the previous post)

What I wonder about is how big a draw does the AC outlet put on the battery?

If you figure 120v is 10 times the vehicle's 12v battery, would it drain it 10 times faster than a similar 12v light or appliance? Heck, my Kia starts screaming about battery depletion after 5 minutes of using the radio with the car off. lol

So, do you have to keep the vehicle running to use the outlet?

The AC outlet only is hot when the engine is running….a 35 inch LED tv only draws 60-80 watts so tailgate video from a laptop could show videos of game action while tailgating 🏈. Power is rated at 150w

There are a lot of battery powered appliances on the market.

for less than $40 you can buy a blender for tailgating that will mix 15 drinks on one charge. Keep it plugged in and it will charge between uses and stay charged all day.

For $400-1100 you can buy a quite portable 2000w generator.

Sams sells a 2300w generator for $350 that runs 6.5 hours on 1.1 gallons of fuel.

if I had a need for 110v power at the tailgate, that is the route I would go.

The Ford Lightning can be had for $54K for the XLT trim and then you qualify for $10K in tax credits (state and federal) which lowers the price to $44K. Crazy close to the price of the SC Limited. I would take that all day over the Maverick, especially since you can power a portion of your home when the electricity goes out.
Then go buy one

Ford has really set the standard with the Pro Power Onboard. The larger 2.4 Kw and 7.2 Kw pro-power options are only available on the F-150 with the hybrid power train. It pulls the power from the hybrid battery and only cycles the engine to recharge the battery as-needed. Pretty cool stuff.
2 kw is available on the non hybrids.

Im in S Fla, so we're facing a hurricane which means power outages in the next few days. I read somewhere about the plug in the bed of the Santa Cruz being OK (or not Ok?) for charging a cell phone, or plugging stuff in. If there's no power, in a pinch, can I just plug a normal wall converter into the outlet in the bed of the truck and charge a cell phone with that? Will it work? Damage anything? It can just be used like a normal outlet in the wall? Anything else I should be aware of...?
(Note : I do know that my Limited has a wireless charger or that I can use a converter for the cigarette lighter; Im just wondering about the outlet in the bed; I know its Ok for some things and not others, wondering about cell phone charging)..

Im in S Fla, so we're facing a hurricane which means power outages in the next few days. I read somewhere about the plug in the bed of the Santa Cruz being OK (or not Ok?) for charging a cell phone, or plugging stuff in. If there's no power, in a pinch, can I just plug a normal wall converter into the outlet in the bed of the truck and charge a cell phone with that? Will it work? Damage anything? It can just be used like a normal outlet in the wall? Anything else I should be aware of...?
(Note : I do know that my Limited has a wireless charger or that I can use a converter for the cigarette lighter; Im just wondering about the outlet in the bed; I know its Ok for some things and not others, wondering about cell phone charging)..
Yes, it will charge a mobile phone. But that’s the extent. The cig lighter slots works with a USB, it does have Two USB in back and front - so you can charge multiple devices
i usually, have a few battery packs charged up. Including one solar.

I have a separate 400 Watt inverter I can plug into the cigarette lighter. It has two 115 volt receptacles like a wall outlet. The fan is a little noisy, but its output is more than double the truck bed outlet. So far, I have not used it with this vehicle.

The stock inverter is behind the right rear seat. It's not too difficult to get to. Should be easy too install a more powerful inverter if needed... Unless there is something in the electrical system that prevents that upgrade.

Just be aware engine must be running for inverter to work.

... Unless there is something in the electrical system that prevents that upgrade.
Specifically: when you increase wattage, you also increase current consumption; and need larger cabling to handle the added amperage.

The stock inverter is behind the right rear seat. It's not too difficult to get to. Should be easy too install a more powerful inverter if needed... Unless there is something in the electrical system that prevents that upgrade.
Is this where you would also reset the inverter? I popped mine on my initial test and was going to ask the dealer to do a reset the first time I go in for a checkup (even though I will likely never have use for it).

I was excited when I learned the Santa Cruz offers a 115 volt AC outlet in the truck bed, at least in some trim packages; but, disappointed when I learned the total available wattage. I thought about using a circular saw from the bed of the vehicle. When I think back over the last 50 years, I needed to do that twice, and both times a standard outlet in a building was close at hand. (I do not go to games, and I do not tailgate.)

Is this where you would also reset the inverter? I popped mine on my initial test and was going to ask the dealer to do a reset the first time I go in for a checkup (even though I will likely never have use for it).
I have never messed with a stock inverter in a vehicle, but most aftermarket ones have a fuse on the inverter itself. when I was installing my Subwoofer behind the seat I saw the inverter but didn't inspect it very closely... I would assume that if it has a fuse, it should be within reach without taking the rear seats out. If you need to take the seats out take a look at any of the kicker subwoofer install threads... Basically the folding part comes out as a whole unit and then the vertical part comes out as a unit. I think its 6 or 7 bolts in the floor/seatbelts and 2 washer nuts on the top behind the head rests.

101 - 120 of 138 Posts