Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess it could also power up portable battery packs.

I beleive the Ridgeline is 400 watts and Maverick has TWO 400watt 110v outlets.

·
Registered
227 Posts
if that's the case only good for charging laptop
It's pretty terrible to be honest.

One of the few things that I wish they had copied from the MAV even if it delayed production a bit. The Santa Cruz is in general just better at a lot of things than the Maverick, except for a small few thoughtful details like this, as well as the better storage bin under the seat on the Maverick.

·
Registered
227 Posts
At least it's something like this can be remedied with a generator or something that is just dedicated, that you just take with you camping. 400w isnt absolutely crazy either but it would at least allow a bit more flexibility.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Of course one can bring a generator.

The point of the outlet is to not have to.

People dont charge laptops in the bed of a vehicle. Thats what the common 150W 110v plug INSIDE the vehicle is for.

A "sport adventure vehicle" should be able to do more.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Of course one can bring a generator.

The point of the outlet is to not have to.

People dont charge laptops in the bed of a vehicle. Thats what the common 150W 110v plug INSIDE the vehicle is for.

A "sport adventure vehicle" should be able to do more.
I personally agree, and this is a sore spot with me on the SC.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What "sport" requires more than 150W of power? Not being sarcastic, I'm truly curious what everyone is so up in arms about not being able to charge. Sure, it can't power your job site tools or your whole house, but it doesn't cost near the same as the Ford Lightning F150.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
What "sport" requires more than 150W of power? Not being sarcastic, I'm truly curious what everyone is so up in arms about not being able to charge. Sure, it can't power your job site tools or your whole house, but it doesn't cost near the same as the Ford Lightning F150.

I was really hoping to be able to run a blender or some small appliances from it for tailgating or an electric induction cooktop. I don't know of any 400w cookers though either.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was really hoping to be able to run a blender or some small appliances from it for tailgating or an electric induction cooktop. I don't know of any 400w cookers though either.
Exactly. For the things I'm thinking of, you need way more than 400 Watts to handle the peak power requirements (blender, crockpot, instant pot, hair dryer?)

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
486 Posts

The Ford Lightning can be had for $54K for the XLT trim and then you qualify for $10K in tax credits (state and federal) which lowers the price to $44K. Crazy close to the price of the SC Limited. I would take that all day over the Maverick, especially since you can power a portion of your home when the electricity goes out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not sure, but I think the Lightning trim with the higher wattage inverter package costs a lot more.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
486 Posts
Not sure, but I think the Lightning trim with the higher wattage inverter package costs a lot more.

You do have to pay more for the 9.6 kw package. "The XLT gets the 2.4-kW ProPower Onboard system as standard, and the additional 9.6-kW version is an option."

·
Registered
227 Posts
The Ford Lightning can be had for $54K for the XLT trim and then you qualify for $10K in tax credits (state and federal) which lowers the price to $44K. Crazy close to the price of the SC Limited. I would take that all day over the Maverick, especially since you can power a portion of your home when the electricity goes out.
If they electrified a truck shorter than 211" and less ugly than the ranger I'd have bought that. If I am buying an electric vehicle it has to fit in my garage. Rivian is too expensive, even with tax credits.

Wish the SC was electric. Probably would fix its absolute ****e MPG/MPGe.

·
Registered
21 Posts
EV and truck is laughable......couldn't tow anything realistically any distance. When Ford said the Lightning could tow 10k, motortrend said they bet it wouldn't tow it a 100 miles.

·
Administrator
107 Posts
180w iirc
180 watts is the maximum rating for the 12 volt outlet.

I can't find any reference to the maximum wattage of the Santa Cruz's 120 volt outlet, but the AC inverter is fused at 30 amps. Even if the inverter was 100% efficient (which it's not), that would be a maximum of 360 watts (12 volts X 30 amps).

The Ridgeline's AC outlet is rated at 400 watts with the engine running and the transmission in park and 150 watts otherwise. Its AC inverter is fused at 70 amps, so I'd guess the Santa Cruz's AC outlet is likely rated at 150 watts.

I tried using my Ridgeline's AC outlet to power a heating pad during a power failure, but the modified sine wave output burned up the heating pad controller. I tried using it to power other devices, but it shuts off every 30 minutes if the engine isn't running and it's horribly inefficient to generate only 400 watts of power with the engine running. The only uses I've ever found for it were to power a slow cooker placed in the in-bed trunk to keep food warm on my way to a pot-luck dinner and plug in a string of LED holiday lights for a parade. :) (Oh, and the Ridgeline's Truck Bed Audio system comes in handy for tailgate parties.)

EDIT: Yep - it's 150 watts.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
224 Posts
180 watts is the maximum rating for the 12 volt outlet.

I can't find any reference to the maximum wattage of the Santa Cruz's 120 volt outlet, but the AC inverter is fused at 30 amps. Even if the inverter was 100% efficient (which it's not), that would be a maximum of 360 watts (12 volts X 30 amps).

The Ridgeline's AC outlet is rated at 400 watts with the engine running and the transmission in park and 150 watts otherwise. Its AC inverter is fused at 70 amps, so I'd guess the Santa Cruz's AC outlet is likely rated at 150 watts.

I tried using my Ridgeline's AC outlet to power a heating pad during a power failure, but the modified sine wave output burned up the heating pad controller. I tried using it to power other devices, but it shuts off every 30 minutes if the engine isn't running and it's horribly inefficient to generate only 400 watts of power with the engine running. The only uses I've ever found for it were to power a slow cooker placed in the in-bed trunk to keep food warm on my way to a pot-luck dinner and plug in a string of LED holiday lights for a parade. :) (Oh, and the Ridgeline's Truck Bed Audio system comes in handy for tailgate parties.)

EDIT: Yep - it's 150 watts.

View attachment 1573
What I wonder about is how big a draw does the AC outlet put on the battery?

If you figure 120v is 10 times the vehicle's 12v battery, would it drain it 10 times faster than a similar 12v light or appliance? Heck, my Kia starts screaming about battery depletion after 5 minutes of using the radio with the car off. lol

So, do you have to keep the vehicle running to use the outlet?

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
224 Posts
(Got caught up in the previous post)

What I wonder about is how big a draw does the AC outlet put on the battery?

If you figure 120v is 10 times the vehicle's 12v battery, would it drain it 10 times faster than a similar 12v light or appliance? Heck, my Kia starts screaming about battery depletion after 5 minutes of using the radio with the car off. lol

So, do you have to keep the vehicle running to use the outlet?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts