Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1900 Miles & 1 Week Shy of Two Months

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Cruz5 
#1 · (Edited)
I now have just over 1900 miles and almost two months of ownership and I'm still discovering features. Very likely because I never read the manual :D

Some things that I didn't know it had that I really like...

(1) I recently noticed when backing out of a parking spot and the collision warning alarm started chirping but the other vehicle was not in view of the camera, the dashboard has an animated red arrow in the direction of which way the object in question is moving. I've never seen that on any vehicle before, not even my Tesla. This was very helpful as my view was obstructed by a large SUV parked next to me.

(2) The "auto" A/C control has three blower settings, low, medium, and high. I find this great to warm up or cool down the car quick if I forget to remote start and then set it back to low for a quieter driving experience

Something I considered a selling point for the Limited over the SEL Premium, but in practice I never use is the turn signal camera on the dash. I find it substantially more time consuming to look down and through the steering wheel and focus my vision on the small video to determine if the adjacent lane is clear for a merge. I feel in practice its actually an unsafe option for me especially when it just takes a second to glance into the side view mirror and get my eyes back on what's in front of me. I'm sure my height and seating position plays a role in how useful this feature is. I think if Hyundai used a larger image and moved it to the center screen (Bose) so it's unobstructed by the steering wheel (like Tesla) it would be far more useful.

Although entry into and exit out of the SC is easy for me, I thought I'd miss the step rails which I had on the Tacoma it replaces. In fact do miss the step rails though not for actual stepping as its unnecessary with the SC, but the rails would give it a more trucky look.

Driving agility, handling, and ride quality. Overall I'm very happy with it. The ride quality in terms of absorbing bumps and rough roads and light trails is great and I'd compare it to a quality SUV. The handling and agility are also great, much better than my Tacoma and CR-V. It's not without fault though and the one fault I note in this category is how jerky the shifting(?) is. At very low speeds, especially stop and go (low speed), it's a jerky acceleration. From stop to driving speed (30mph ~ 45mph) is a little jerky on the shift points reminding me of a manual transmission. This is my first Turbo as well as first DCT so maybe its normal. The brakes are quick and take less foot power to apply more break power than my Tacoma. This has kinda f'd up my driver rating with my insurance beacon which measures my driving performancing.. I'm seeing hard brakes all over my drives now LOL Oddly I'm also seeing more incidents of hard acceleration, I think this is do to the initial lag on acceleration followed by a sudden snap forward into acceleration. The funny thing is my insurance company measures 'hard acceleration' as a negative, but my overall rating on not being a speeder is excellent. I'm still saving money with the beacon though.

I absolutely love the retractable tonneu cover. In time I don't know if it will be more durable than the Bakflip X2 Revolver I had on the Tacoma, but it is 100% more comfortable and friendly to operate and the X2 was very easy to operate, but often got burnt touch it as the heat made the aluminum blades scorching hot to the touch.

The most important thing I wanted from the SC and it has delivered 100%. It's compact and agile in parking lots :D I go to Costco & Walmart every week and navigating those places was very difficult in the Tacoma especially with Miami drivers, I never drove my Tesla to those places LOL

One thing I'm starting to hate about the SC. All those darn creases in the body styling are in typical strike zones. I discovered a dent in one of the rear doors, the center of the dent is to the right of the vertical crease line (near the edge of the door) with the dent effect ending at the crease line not on the crease so there may be hope it can be repaired with painless repair.

Overall I'm very happy with the SC, though I only have bad things to say about Hyundai customer support LOL

See less See more
#2 ·
Just to comment on the blind spot display in the gauge cluster - I find it okay at low speed, but when changing lanes or otherwise maneuvering in traffic, it's more of a distraction. I rely on my rearview mirror, too, but keep in mind there is a blind spot that this feature was meant to address.

But even more useful is the blind spot monitor (BSM), which will sound off an alarm if you use your turn signal and there is a car in your blind spot. For me, the BSM is one of the best things manufacturers have come up with in years, and it's worth its weight in gold. You just have to remember to use your turn signal for turns and lane changes (which you should be doing anyway).

#3 ·
I'm at 2071 miles....Bought 10/08/21 On the way home I was distracted by the radio and the alarm went off when the car in front stopped....and I've had another warning go off when the car in front took off and I didn't a sec longer than the car liked LOL.... Also oil was changed yesterday....and they had me pop the hood..while I waited in the car and it was running... Warning on the dash... showed the truck and the hood was red and flashing letting know it was popped/open another Nice feature :)

#7 ·
Something I considered a selling point for the Limited over the SEL Premium, but in practice I never use is the turn signal camera on the dash. I find it substantially more time consuming to look down and through the steering wheel and focus my vision on the small video to determine if the adjacent lane is clear for a merge. I feel in practice its actually an unsafe option for me especially when it just takes a second to glance into the side view mirror and get my eyes back on what's in front of me. I'm sure my height and seating position plays a role in how useful this feature is. I think if Hyundai used a larger image and moved it to the center screen (Bose) so it's unobstructed by the steering wheel (like Tesla) it would be far more useful.
Think back to driving school. You should check your side mirror, then look over your shoulder to check the blind spot, they make your lane change. The in-dash display is to eliminate looking over your shoulder and taking your eyes off the road less. The side mirrors having the warning triangle for someone in your blind spot does something similar. You can't see your blind spot in the mirror. But you can take the blind spot warning being off as you being clear. The in-dash is a quick way to actually see what is in your blind spot. I really enjoy the in-dash view and find it easy to see what is next to me. Or not next to me. But everyone will have different opinions obviously.

Glad you are enjoying your SC. Hope you have many years of enjoyment out of it!

#14 ·
Think back to driving school. You should check your side mirror, then look over your shoulder to check the blind spot, they make your lane change. The in-dash display is to eliminate looking over your shoulder and taking your eyes off the road less. The side mirrors having the warning triangle for someone in your blind spot does something similar. You can't see your blind spot in the mirror. But you can take the blind spot warning being off as you being clear. The in-dash is a quick way to actually see what is in your blind spot. I really enjoy the in-dash view and find it easy to see what is next to me. Or not next to me. But everyone will have different opinions obviously.

Glad you are enjoying your SC. Hope you have many years of enjoyment out of it!
Interesting post on your experiences. Do you know which trims have the in-dash feature? I don’t want the Limited...too much $$$ and larger wheels detract from rutted dirt road driving.
Thanks.

#11 ·
Glad you like them, but I can't stand them on any car and have turned mine off.

When is the most courteous time to turn off highbeams? When you see the other person's lights reflecting off trees or signs before you actually see the car. That way you don't blind the other driver. The automatic high beams don't switch until the oncoming car is in sight, by which time you've blinded the other driver. If everybody uses them, everybody gets lazy and just blinds other drivers.

#9 ·
They are a cool feature, but you still need to clean up their short falls, I find they do not 'dip/turn off' if there is a car on a side road, perpendicular to you, may be it doesn't detect 'two lights' I either dazzle that driver, or intervene with the switch, also it didn't want to dip when I approached a Dodge Durango from behind last night, might have confused the auto detect as some of those cars have a continuous light loop instead of rear lights on each side - that's my observations - I do a lot of dark time driving in the winter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.