Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed some weird growling noise the first day, but it was hard to say, so I have been experimenting different conditions and such as what I found:

• At cold start, the engine start noise is smooth
  • At warm start, such as within 5 mins of shutting down the engine, the start noise has a quick growling noise that lasts for a split second. It's very faint only audible if you pay attention and no music or AC on.

Is this a turbo thing? Maybe at warm start there are still some hot air trapped in the turbo and starting the engine makes it "growl"

·
Registered
221 Posts
I noticed some weird growling noise the first day, but it was hard to say, so I have been experimenting different conditions and such as what I found:

• At cold start, the engine start noise is smooth
  • At warm start, such as within 5 mins of shutting down the engine, the start noise has a quick growling noise that lasts for a split second. It's very faint only audible if you pay attention and no music or AC on.

Is this a turbo thing? Maybe at warm start there are still some hot air trapped in the turbo and starting the engine makes it "growl"
Have had several and still have a turbo car, none made turbo noises at start-up. Maybe it's a SC thing, other SC turbo owners can hopefully offer insight.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have had several and still have a turbo car, none made turbo noises at start-up. Maybe it's a SC thing, other SC turbo owners can hopefully offer insight.
good to know, it's my first turbo car so not sure what it is, I'll probably find another 2.5T SC to test drive and see what's the deal, should be fairly straight forward to test

·
Registered
896 Posts
Most vehicles are the opposite. They run a touch rich at start up in order to warm up the catalytic converters and thus cold starts tend to be louder then warm starts. Tons of YT videos will confirm this.

As someone who has owned several turbos (VW, Volvo, Mitsubishi) - its best to let them idle a bit before shutting off to allow the oil to circulate and get out of the hot turbo. Same with startup, let the oil warm before getting into high boost situations... but this is true for any engine, you should never run high RPMs when the engine is cold.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most vehicles are the opposite. They run a touch rich at start up in order to warm up the catalytic converters and thus cold starts tend to be louder then warm starts. Tons of YT videos will confirm this.

As someone who has owned several turbos (VW, Volvo, Mitsubishi) - its best to let them idle a bit before shutting off to allow the oil to circulate and get out of the hot turbo. Same with startup, let the oil warm before getting into high boost situations... but this is true for any engine, you should never run high RPMs when the engine is cold.
I noticed that the fan still runs after the engine shuts off, so probably not need to idle it but I'll do it anyway for 30 seconds or 1 minute while I unbuckle the seat beat and get ready to exit the vehicle

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
861 Posts
I noticed that the fan still runs after the engine shuts off, so probably not need to idle it but I'll do it anyway for 30 seconds or 1 minute while I unbuckle the seat beat and get ready to exit the vehicle
The fans running will be based on coolant temps, pushing air through the radiator. The turbos stop spinning once the exhaust stops flowing on shutdown. After a highway run I'll usually let it idle for a minute or so while I disconnect my phone, have a stretch, etc. Short jaunts around town, not so much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts