Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oil filter and oil drain plug access point below

they seem to be the fender liner retainer style fasteners holding the covers, not my favorite because eventually they will break. I'd rather have threaded screws.

oil filter is indeed cartridge style
Haven't found any aftermarket filter, so for now I think I'll just go with OE filter kit

·
Registered
476 Posts
oil filter and oil drain plug access point below they seem to be the fender liner retainer style fasteners holding the covers, not my favorite because eventually they will break. I'd rather have threaded screws....
Don't worry about the fasteners. The first time you have someone else do an oil change, those covers will be gone anyway.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
417 Posts
That's one thing I like about the Subaru turbo engines, the oil filter is right on top. That makes it so easy.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Premium - Phantom Black
23 Posts
1st 3 years are taken care of by Hyundai so don't have to worry about it yet. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I like the idea of using cartridge style filter but plastic screwing into plastic not a good idea.
You shouldn’t be concerned. My 20 year old twin turbo Porsche and 10 year old BMW (also a TT) both have cartridge filters and plastic covers screwing into plastic threads. Never heard of an issue with either and I’ve been pretty active in these communities with no mention of problems. 👍

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
417 Posts
You shouldn’t be concerned. My 20 year old twin turbo Porsche and 10 year old BMW (also a TT) both have cartridge filters and plastic covers screwing into plastic threads. Never heard of an issue with either and I’ve been pretty active in these communities with no mention of problems. 👍
That's why some Toyota owners replace the plastic cap with a metal one.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
probably easy to cut part of the panel for access points this way you never have to remove cover
yeah, gonna lose maybe very tiny mpg due to aerodynamics
but I think they also guard against dust and in the north snow removal salt

·
Registered
94 Posts
probably easy to cut part of the panel for access points this way you never have to remove cover
If it’s as good as a Subaru (😉) it will have little doors to access the oil filter and oil drainage plug, eliminating the need to remove the underside panel. 🤞

·
Registered
587 Posts
If it’s as good as a Subaru (😉) it will have little doors to access the oil filter and oil drainage plug, eliminating the need to remove the underside panel. 🤞
Subaru Crosstrek my nephew bought has the oil filter vertical super accessible from under the hood. Just use a cheap vacuum kit to suck out the oil, and you have a hassle free oil change done in no time. :love:

That said, I do appreciate them making the underbody smooth like that, reduces noise, improves aerodynamics, and protects the catalytic converter a little. At least with 8.6" of ground clearance, just buy a cheap creeper and you can slide your butt under there with ease which helps a lot too. No need for jacks.

·
Registered
793 Posts
That said, I do appreciate them making the underbody smooth like that, reduces noise, improves aerodynamics, and protects the catalytic converter a little. At least with 8.6" of ground clearance, just buy a cheap creeper and you can slide your butt under there with ease which helps a lot too. No need for jacks.
Yep. This is one of things that you see more in car (unibody) design vs BOF trucks/SUVs. These plastic panels can be a pain because clips break and they get damaged over time but making the bottom as smooth as possible is critical to improving aero and squeaking out another MPG. Plus it keeps things cleaner under the vehicle as road grime doesn't get everywhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can’t find even the oem oil filter/ kit anywhere online.
Can someone provide a part number? Thanks

Haven't found any aftermarket filter, so for now I think I'll just go with OE filter kit
[/QUOTE]
Yep. This is one of things that you see more in car (unibody) design vs BOF trucks/SUVs. These plastic panels can be a pain because clips break and they get damaged over time but making the bottom as smooth as possible is critical to improving aero and squeaking out another MPG. Plus it keeps things cleaner under the vehicle as road grime doesn't get everywhere.
oil filter and oil drain plug access point below

View attachment 1622

they seem to be the fender liner retainer style fasteners holding the covers, not my favorite because eventually they will break. I'd rather have threaded screws.

View attachment 1623

1 - 20 of 22 Posts