Discussion Starter #1
https://www.hyundainews.com/en-us/releases/2491

-Bolder design language for Hyundai’s best-selling SUV in the United States
-New safety, comfort and convenience technologies
-Increased visibility, cabin and storage space
-Introduces diesel engine option
-Santa Fe Sport name dropped

Powertrains

The 2019 Santa Fe line-up offers a choice of three proven powertrains. There is a 2.4-liter inline four-cylinder GDI engine with an estimated 185 horsepower or a more powerful, turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine with 232 horsepower (estimated). And the 2.2-liter CRDi turbodiesel engine is the 2019 Santa Fe’s biggest surprise, with around 200 horsepower at 3,000 rpm and 320 lb. ft. of torque at 1,750 rpm (estimated). All engines are mated to a brand new eight-speed automatic transmission.

New Eight-Speed Automatic Transmission

The newly developed transmission provides quick and crisp shifts for a more engaging and efficient driving experience via the available column-mounted paddles. Despite having two extra gears, the eight-speed transmission, which was designed in-house, is lighter than the outgoing six-speed model. The automatic transmission adds ratio range at both the top and bottom of output speeds allowing for extra thrust off-the-line and a quieter, more fuel-efficient dash down the interstate. A direct control valve body and a multi-plate torque converter improve responsiveness while a double ball bearing minimizes friction loss. All the changes added up means that Santa Fe’s new transmission will improve economy by more than three percent.

HTRAC Advanced AWD System

The 2019 Santa Fe has Hyundai’s HTRAC® All-Wheel-Drive (AWD) system. The HTRAC AWD system was developed as a multi-mode system, providing an electronic, variable-torque-split clutch with active torque control between the front and rear axles. The driver-selectable HTRAC Normal, Sport and Smart modes help provide confident control in all-weather conditions. The Sport setting gives a more agile feel by sending more available torque to the rear wheels, for a sporty dynamic feel when desired. This system has a wider range of torque distribution variability than many competitive systems and has been tuned to variable conditions such as straight-line acceleration, medium- and high-speed cornering, and hill starts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I still dream we are looking at the basis for the SC, but I suspect Hyundai's pickup will be based on the yet to be introduced, gargantuan SUV, so it is same size (or larger than) Ridgeline.

Also note: That was a world debut of the Santa Fe. A diesel for Australia, etc doesn't automatically equate to a diesel for USA/Canada...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I really wish they hadn't adopted the Kona's headlights on the new Santa Fe. That was one of the worst design changes that Jeep made to the Cherokee. And I'm still curious what to expect from Hyundai's full sized SUV. Hopefully we get to see it without camo soon.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I kind of like the headlights, though they do look a bit to narrow for such a large vehicle. Widen them a bit and increase the size, they'll fit right in on the Santa Cruz. What does seem odd is how the grille slopes instead of creating the design using straight lines. Not sure if I'm a fan or not.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I kind of like the headlights, though they do look a bit to narrow for such a large vehicle. Widen them a bit and increase the size, they'll fit right in on the Santa Cruz. What does seem odd is how the grille slopes instead of creating the design using straight lines. Not sure if I'm a fan or not.
The upper lights are DRLs and possibly turn signals. What looks like the fog lamps are the low and high beam headlights.

·
Registered
56 Posts
When they go with that extremely narrow headlight design, it usually results in having to place the actual headlights/running lights in the same spot as the fog lights. I'd rather the more traditional setup so the assemblies aren't all together, limiting your aftermarket options.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts