Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Hyundai Dealership in Colorado shared this video where they share their thoughts on how much the new Santa Cruz is going to cost.

The dealer's General Sales Manager suggests that it could start at around $34,000 and it will go up to around $44,000. That price seems about right since a Honda Ridgeline starts at $33,900. Hopefully Hyundai goes a little bit lower in price to make it more appealing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Car and Driver seems to think that the Santa Cruz will start at $25,000 which would be significantly lower than other trucks like the Ridgeline.

Pricing and Which One to Buy

Santa Cruz: $25,000 (est.)

Hyundai often prices its products below those of competitors, but this class of pickup trucks is more varied than other segments because of the configuration variables. With that said, we think the Santa Cruze could start in the mid-$20,000 range for a base model with front-wheel drive and the least powerful engine. That would make it considerably cheaper than the comparable Honda Ridgeline, which only offers one body style and powertrain.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A Hyundai Dealership in Colorado shared this video where they share their thoughts on how much the new Santa Cruz is going to cost.

The dealer's General Sales Manager suggests that it could start at around $34,000 and it will go up to around $44,000. That price seems about right since a Honda Ridgeline starts at $33,900. Hopefully Hyundai goes a little bit lower in price to make it more appealing.

The $35K price point will be as much as anyone would pay for a SC. There is talk that Hyundai will add additional profit to the SC in the form of an LOA. That lack of availability will allow Hyundai dealerships to mark up the prices of their SC inventory above MSRP. I don't think buyers will take too kindly to that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Santa Cruz is smaller than a Ridgeline. Speculation puts the expected price of a Ford Maverick to start just under $20,000. Since the Maverick and the Santa Cruz will be direct competitors, I would guess Car and Driver is pretty close. If Hyundai puts the price at $35,000 to start, I suspect there will be a good number of folks who will wait for the Maverick.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree.. at 35k... that's a bad number... I got my Ranger for 34k and it was just a littler cheaper than the ridgeline I was looking at... a whole different price point..

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm guessing a higher price, likely touching $40k. The Tucson does not offer the 2.5T like the SC will. Also, the AWD Tucson Limited is $36,100.

·
Registered
158 Posts
This needs to say under $40k. I am hoping it tops out at around $37-38. No way its starts at $20 you'll be lucky at $25k. Since its based on the Tucson I would imagine its pricing will be similar... so maybe $26-28 on the low end. Hyundai is known for value pricing where Honda's tend to command a premium so this should easily under cut the Ridgeline. Even the base Ridgeline is a V6 with AWD. I see the SC pricing more closely mirroring the Ranger. The Maverick must be cheaper or else it makes no sense in Ford's line up. However if the Maverick shares engines with the Bronco Sport it will be under powered and have a much lower tow rating then the SC. Ford has to got release some Maverick info before the SC goes on sale or they risk losing some early sales.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hyundai needs to have the Santa Cruz stay under 30K... with gas prices shooting up people are more looking to Hybrids for a vehicle this size, instead, and this isn't one.... Above 30K and I will be looking at the Tacoma or Ridgeline, instead.

·
Registered
"I want my SAV!"
155 Posts
Say it ain't so Bobby7! SE AWD Out-The-Door for under $30K or sales will suffer.

·
Registered
158 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
It’s bed is too small to place it squarely along other truck pricing. It’s a niche vehicle. The two things that will determine the price will be the cost to bring it to market (USA designed and built) and what customers are willing to pay. I predict the current Hyundai owner will not be bulk of the SC buyers. They are targeting the outdoor and adventure crowd: tailgaters to mountain bikers.
If it is priced too high it will suffer the fate of the 03-07 overpriced but fantastic Baja: there will be a cult following but total sales will be low. A passionate fan base doesn’t help the car manufacturer if the number of buyers are few. The reason small trucks, Samuris, and Amigos sold like crazy in the mid 80s wasn’t because they were awesome vehicles...it’s because they were cheap. Current market is different than the 80s for sure, and Hyundai is still building a US brand image.

Keep in mind the average mid-size pickup is selling for $37k, while the average compact SUV/crossover sells for $30k. Hyundai's average sale is $30k too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It’s bed is too small to place it squarely along other truck pricing. It’s a niche vehicle. The two things that will determine the price will be the cost to bring it to market (USA designed and built) and what customers are willing to pay. I predict the current Hyundai owner will not be bulk of the SC buyers. They are targeting the outdoor and adventure crowd: tailgaters to mountain bikers.
If it is priced too high it will suffer the fate of the 03-07 overpriced but fantastic Baja: there will be a cult following but total sales will be low. A passionate fan base doesn’t help the car manufacturer if the number of buyers are few. The reason small trucks, Samuris, and Amigos sold like crazy in the mid 80s wasn’t because they were awesome vehicles...it’s because they were cheap. Current market is different than the 80s for sure, and Hyundai is still building a US brand image.
Agreed. The VERY TOP tier needs to be sitting at $36k, considering a Ridgeline for example, a bigger "truck" with a v6 and AWD, can be had for just $1k more?

The "situation" gets even worse when you factor in a Ford Ranger - that starts at $25k (2wd) and can tow 7,500 lbs, is larger, and has awd. Albeit, $34k for the 4x4.

You'd be getting literally more for your money with the Ridgeline OR Ranger in almost every aspect.
Anything higher than $36k for a FULLY loaded SC, just means Hyundai is pricing themselves out of competition. It would be a terrible move.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You'd be getting literally more for your money with the Ridgeline OR Ranger in almost every aspect.
Anything higher than $36k for a FULLY loaded SC, just means Hyundai is pricing themselves out of competition. It would be a terrible move.
Agreed. The only current "adventure vehicle" being marketing is the Subrau Outback which starts at $26k and full loaded is over $38k. This is the pricing window the SC must fit into.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hyundai needs to have the Santa Cruz stay under 30K... with gas prices shooting up people are more looking to Hybrids for a vehicle this size, instead, and this isn't one.... Above 30K and I will be looking at the Tacoma or Ridgeline, instead.
Fullsize trucks, that average 16mpg, are selling like hotcakes right now. Even used truck prices have exploded. I don't think the pickup segment is all that sensitive about fuel prices.

AAA says average gas price in my county is $2.59. Adjusted for inflation, the average going back to 1918 over 100 years ago is $2.86. It seems like people notice a quick change in temperature more than the actual temperature of the bathwater.

And I agree that a Outback shopper would probably look at this too, but Outback Onyx ones that aren't dog slow and could compete with the 2.5T SC are hardly cheap and go for around $38K even with their rather lackluster interior and infotainment system. shrugs

So I'm keeping an open mind about just getting a Tucson Hybrid Blue trim as a backup plan, if SCs are priced through the roof.

·
Registered
"I want my SAV!"
155 Posts
The "situation" gets even worse when you factor in a Ford Ranger - that starts at $25k (2wd) and can tow 7,500 lbs, is larger, and has awd. Albeit, $34k for the 4x4.
I'm not sure I'd have agree with that. Doesn't the base Ford Maverick come with a tiny little 3-cylinder Turbo hummingbird motor? Anything over 2,000lbs. seems like a stretch to me, but who knows what Found On Road Dead (FORD) will state in their specifications. Plus, the Maverick looks like a boxy mini truck, which the is part of what the Santa Cruz is not.

·
Registered
158 Posts
@HSC4ME the comparison was to the Ranger and not the Maverick. As you stated the Maverick sounds like an under powered joke to me, but for those looking at base SC (no turbo) will be cross shopping the boxy mini truck for sure. If the Maverick is down in the 20k range even with that lawn mower engine it becomes an attractive option. As a teenage in the 80s many of my buddies drove similar Mazda B2200, Chevy S10, Ford Ranger or Nissan Hardbody pickups as cheap "do anything" type vehicles.

The SC is trying to occupy this weird middle ground that a smaller or midsize pickup buyer or even a traditional CUV shopper might be interested in. Even mid-size trucks have gotten too big and CUVs are too limiting in terms of cargo hauling... so enter the SC.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts