Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really clever little design IMO, particularly the interior layout I like a very large center numeric speedo and it has a really big tesla style screen while keeping physical buttons for HVAC. Faux leather also looks nice with the stitching. Comes with either Fiat's new 180hp 1.3T they put in the Jeep Renegade or a 170hp turbo-diesel (that's what I'd take, supposedly 45mpg highway).

Size wise, its a bit smaller than the Santa Cruz. Wonder if they will bring it to the US if the SC and Maverick are a hit:

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
651 Posts
I think the problem with them bring Toro to the US is the pickup truck tax
Without looking it up, I bet they are made outside of North America hence there's going to be a 25% import pickup truck tax

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the problem with them bring Toro to the US is the pickup truck tax
Without looking it up, I bet they are made outside of North America hence there's going to be a 25% import pickup truck tax
Yeah, under NAFTA rules, they'd be allowed to make it in Mexico, Canada, or the US to avoid that. Its made in Brazil, but if there were enough demand they could also make it in Mexico where they make other 500 models.

Fiat basically has no models left in North America, the Spider is being discontinued, the 500 already was along with the 500L, so the only vehicle left is the 500X. Be smart to offer the Toro alongside it IMO, or better yet, retire the Fiat brand entirely for the US and release them under the Jeep or Ram brands.

·
Registered
59 Posts
That sure is is Geely Holding design for sure. It is indeed the same interior as the Volvos. I love Volvo seats and I adore the XC40 door panels with the 'air woofer' in the XC negating the door panel speakers. Didn't own that style (did run the wheels off of a 740, 850. a v40 and an XC90 tho) but that door panel space was svelte and the Air Woofer concept was interesting.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Isn't fiat leaving the US? I would totally consider that as an option if it was here, love my fiat 500 pop.
Probably would be smart at this point if they don't invest in the brand. I could care less if it has a Fiat or Ram badge on the front though, heck, they can make it a Jeep for all I care. :D

·
Registered
2020 Kia Telluride/2014 Chevrolet SS
23 Posts
That sure is is Geely Holding design for sure. It is indeed the same interior as the Volvos. I love Volvo seats and I adore the XC40 door panels with the 'air woofer' in the XC negating the door panel speakers. Didn't own that style (did run the wheels off of a 740, 850. a v40 and an XC90 tho) but that door panel space was svelte and the Air Woofer concept was interesting.

View attachment 2155
Not sure where Geely or Volvo is coming from…

Fiat was a part of FCA, which includes Chrysler, Dodge, Ram, Jeep, Alfa Romeo, Maserati, and Lancia. FCA recently merged with PSA (Peugeot, Citroen, DS, Opel, and Vauxhall) to create Stellantis.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,074 Posts
That tailgate is brilliant. Would love to have it on my Santa Cruz. Can’t get to anything with the tailgate down…
I did notice yesterday when I was testing out the demo that it's definitely a reach past the tailgate into the brunk. Easier to get at from the sides, for sure. Or if you were sitting on the tailgate, I suppose. Anyone much shorter than 6' tall would probably struggle with items at the back of it, for sure. Can't get over how light that tailgate feels though - especially with how heavy the hood was! That hood has some heft to it. Would have been much better with struts up front vs. that prop rod. I'm sure somebody will mod theirs to add them.

·
Registered
188 Posts
That tailgate is brilliant. Would love to have it on my Santa Cruz. Can’t get to anything with the tailgate down…
Somewhat surprised that they didn't at least do a swing tailgate like Honda did with the Ridgeline simply because of the brunk. I think that was a missed opportunity. But that multi-function tailgate that Ram uses is brilliant.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Somewhat surprised that they didn't at least do a swing tailgate like Honda did with the Ridgeline simply because of the brunk. I think that was a missed opportunity. But that multi-function tailgate that Ram uses is brilliant.
Pretty sure only the Ram 1500 has that fancy multi-function tailgate, that Ram 1000 aka Toro is simply a basic barn door to keep costs down. Toro is based on the very small Jeep Renegade platform, kind of like the SC, Maverick, and Ridgeline share platforms with their crossovers.

That means its short bed is even shorter, more like a big durable trunk you can put tall or dirty/wet/smelly items in and strap them in better than you could a crossover. Great for gardening trips and the like, and you could always rent a small trailer now and then for the occasional really big items.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Why is it that all these small 'utes with beds never show anything remotely manly in the beds. Sure, there's the Sports Adventure stuff like Kayaks and bikes and stuff, and then they show pottery, light gardening things, and a few paint cans.

I mean, looking at the size of the bed with the Bed Extender and tailgate down, I would think you could cram about 20-25 bags of mulch from Home Depot in there. Or maybe some lumber, even if it does extend over the tailgate. Something that is true "weekend homeowner" type stuff. Seriously, no one buys a SC to put 2 cans of paint in the bed. Seriously, this has to be the lamest picture of the potential use of the SC truck bed that a male homeowner that needs a truck to make small trips to the dump, trips to Home Depot for real project items, and trips to Costo/Ikea dragging home furniture and the like. I'm confident the SC can handle it, but if this all that Hyundai thinks that the size and payload of the SC is capable of carrying, then they're seriously marketing this truck wrong, or that this truck truly isn't for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts