Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Absolutely HATE that fugly two-tone interior (the gray/blue was bad enough, the orange was just horrible!)! The doors look like they are missing half the panel on the front where it's a different color. The arm rests look short and uncomfortable. The dash/media center both look 10 years old. So glad I'm not a "Ford" guy!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Absolutely HATE that fugly two-tone interior (the gray/blue was bad enough, the orange was just horrible!)! The doors look like they are missing half the panel on the front where it's a different color. The arm rests look short and uncomfortable. The dash/media center both look 10 years old. So glad I'm not a "Ford" guy!
Yeah, it does look like a murder scene from smurf village, will have to see how bad it is in person. And of course all the interior is hard plastic, like the Hyundai Venue. But then again, like the Venue, their appeal is that it can be equipped very inexpensively and standards are different for a $25K vehicle than a $35K one.

·
Registered
509 Posts
At least Ford has an exterior color palette that extends outside the range of meh to blah.

Who wouldn't want an interior of grey, teal and faux copper!

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
859 Posts
Yeah, the color options are solid on the Maverick. I'd have loved something like hot pepper red on the SC. Or better, that amazonian frog green on the Taco TRD Pro in the Mudfest video. Or Plum Crazy off the Challenger. ;) I like color.

·
Registered
890 Posts
all i have to say is that for my taste, the styling of both the interior and exterior, NOT for me.
Same here. I could careless about the Mav's mileage, price or features - I wouldn't take one based on looks alone. I find it totally bland and boring looking. Its like you asked a kid to draw a generic "truck". While the exterior is weak the interior is a mess of hard edges, random colors and cheap materials.

I continue to feel that in the end "style" will be driving factor for SC sales - you either think it looks modern and sleek or prefer the more conservative boxy Maverick look - both exterior and interior. Its a love-it or hate-it thing with little to no middle ground.

·
Registered
859 Posts
There's definitely a market for the Maverick. And there are definitely a lot of people who think the looks of the SC are just a bit too radical. Then you have the Maverick fans going off about how useless the SC bed is, because it's all of what, 3 inches shorter? Does 3 inches really make that big of a difference? (Shut it, all you dirty pervs. I love you all, but that is NOT what we're talking about here. LOL Yes, insert obligatory "that's not what she said" here.)

I'm personally glad both are here, and hope there is more competition coming to the space. It's overdue. The 'brodozer' crowd doesn't have to get it. These aren't for them. And that's okay. We can all have nice things, even if they're different.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My wife still thinks it's funny looking, but it's starting to grow on her. My co-worker asked if my balls fell off when she saw it, so she thinks it's a chickmobile. It elicits all sorts of responses.

·
Registered
859 Posts
My wife hasn't seen one in person yet, but liked it in photos. My daughter about freaked out when we did the test drive. She even told the dealer she's not a car person, but she is for this. I'll take the win. :D Now I have to get two vehicles listed for sale tonight. I'm going to miss my old truck, but the SC will probably make me forget it pretty quickly.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Then you have the Maverick fans going off about how useless the SC bed is, because it's all of what, 3 inches shorter?
I believe those comments are from people that have already placed their order, so they want to badmouth the competition on silly things to help reinforce that they made the right choice.

The Mav and SV are overall pretty similar mission vehicles, and I have a feeling the Maverick will dominate the low end and SC the high end, in large part just because the Mav gives you a lot of flexibility in omitting options to lower the price and because of its IMO superior base engine option, while the SC is obviously more premium inside and out and has a much nicer turbocharged powertrain.

Personally, I just think the 2.5 hybrid is overall nicer than the 2.5 smartstream, and if Hyundai had offered the base engine as the 226hp 1.6T hybrid that gets up to 38mpg combined on the Tucson, it would sell like hotcakes. Even Ford apparently underestimated the popularity of the hybrid, and I believe I read they expected only a 30% take rate and yet it was more like 60% that preferred the hybrid option with some people only changing their order to the turbo because hybrid orders were expected to have a huge production delay to fulfill orders.

·
Registered
36 Posts
all i have to say is that for my taste, the styling of both the interior and exterior, NOT for me. IMO this isn't a CUV/SUV replacement for someone with a family. It looks to me like a utilitarian fleet vehicle which with the hybrid should be very good for. I'll have to see one in person.
Yes. Unless there is a hidden gremlin with the hybrid-every pool company, exterminator and municipality will buy them like there's no tomorrow. Almost 40 mpg and $21k. All in fleet white!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Personally, I just think the 2.5 hybrid is overall nicer than the 2.5 smartstream, and if Hyundai had offered the base engine as the 226hp 1.6T hybrid that gets up to 38mpg combined on the Tucson, it would sell like hotcakes. Even Ford apparently underestimated the popularity of the hybrid, and I believe I read they expected only a 30% take rate and yet it was more like 60% that preferred the hybrid option with some people only changing their order to the turbo because hybrid orders were expected to have a huge production delay to fulfill orders.
Agreed. What Ford nailed, even up to the XLT hybrid (because outside of fleet/business use, I don't see the XL as particularly attractive outside the price point) is a solid truck-like Focus replacement. They nailed the price point and EPA numbers there. How they thought the 2.0T would be wildly more popular baffles me a bit. Almost all of the early comments were "40MPG!!! OMG!!!" Those weren't the comments of someone looking for the turbo engine. They wanted the hybrid.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
437 Posts
Saw the Ford Maverick today at the Denver Auto Show. It was larger than I expected. The Auto Show was a big disappointment as only Toyota, Ford, Jeep, Ram, and a couple of minor brands were represented. No Chevrolet, Honda, Subaru, Mazda, Hyundai (2 EV's),

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Vehicle Blue
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Truck

·
Registered
859 Posts
I do like that red. But I'll take my Sage Grey and be happy. :D

·
Registered
890 Posts
Then you have the Maverick fans going off about how useless the SC bed is, because it's all of what, 3 inches shorter?
Actually the difference is only 2" - so yeah hardly worth cheering about.

I constantly see comments on YT that the Mav is a "real truck" ummm sorry, no its a Ford Escape with a bed - and thus basically no different then a Tuscon based SC. This tells me its no more or less truck-y then a SC. Ford's only truck-like advantages are a real towing packing and some minor off road upgrades. In fact the FX4 package doesn't even change suspension, so what is the point? but you do get a FX4 sticker :ROFLMAO:

What Ford nailed, even up to the XLT hybrid (because outside of fleet/business use, I don't see the XL as particularly attractive outside the price point) is a solid truck-like Focus replacement. They nailed the price point and EPA numbers there.
Bingo. The Mav is the cheapest, most fuel efficient vehicle in Ford's line up and maybe even in the US? Hybrids are uncool, only eco-weenies buy them if you believe the internet :rolleyes: So someone at Ford desires a raise, they figured out the secret to selling hybrids - just make them look like a gas guzzling full size trucks.

Saw the Ford Maverick today at the Denver Auto Show. It was larger than I thought.
Read similar reactions to the SC as well. These might be called "compact" trucks but are as big as some mid-size SUVs. For example the SC is longer then a Nissan Murano, Toyota Highlander and GMC Acadia.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A vehicle reviewer that has only positive comments and not one negative comment???????? Sounded more like a Ford employee than an independent reviewer.
Confirmed, his channel only has Ford stuff on it, and he appears to own a Mustang. Maybe a Ford dealership employee or Ford fanboy: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJVD3gBi1X_Ip8TcZETj8g/videos

Still cool to see anything at all a month early.

All the major youtubers we won't get until next month's embargo date.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts