• Blue Stone

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Desert Sand

Votes: 7 20.0%
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
"Desert Sand" is now looking totally different.
No joke... below is Desert Sand from Hyundai own website - its beige or tan and not yellow or gold like above, this is a massive difference.

A similar thing happened with a color called "Brickyard Red" when the Nissan 350Z came out. The color looked brown or sometimes purple in photos based on different lighting conditions so nobody ordered it. But in real life the color was a burgundy / wine color that looked awesome (IMHO).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Until I have proof that the goldenrod color in the photo is truly “desert sand” I’ll hold judgement. At this point, it could have been a test color that Hyundai threw on a pre-pro model.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Methinks a wee bit of Photoshop skullduggery is afoot here, friends!

Reactions: Robin_Adee

·
Registered
6 Posts
That gold Santa Cruz could very well be just a prototype paint job.

I always thought the desert sand would look similar to the brown Tacoma.

B74F6337-D46A-40E9-8D11-83F130A8EE7A.jpeg
0F19E9F6-3A93-45CB-87CB-37E92DD3C2B8.jpeg

·
Registered
"I want my SAV!"
141 Posts
The press photos made it look like a weak, washed out beige, however this golden color actually looks decent.
RE: Desert Sand

I pulled up behind one of those Kia Seltos in Starbright Yellow yesterday. It had more of an orange hue to it than the picture above and really looked good. I think it's another color transformer in different lighting conditions.

PS: Called Tustin Hyundai the other day to see if the Hampton Gray one was there on display (local to me), but apparently it is a Hyundai higher-ups personal rig and he was just there to show it off and take them too lunch. Sales rep I spoke with said all the guys working there are waiting to get their hands on one. He'd been checking the future inventory lists frequently and hasn't seen any show up yet. That list looks about two months out. It's going to be a long wait for me, but after 6-1/2 years what's two more months...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Interesting observation...

Since the admin added all the threads of various color pictures the views for each of those posts mirrors the current pole results:
#1 Sage
#2 Sand or Blue
#3 Gray
#4 Black
#5 White

This is pretty much the OPPOSITE of what colors are popular currently. White is #1 and green is always way down on the list: https://www.kbb.com/car-advice/what-are-the-best-car-colors-to-buy/

I find the views very telling since those are forum lurkers who aren't even registered, they are just looking around yet still show Sage (green) as the color with the most interest. Wonder if this is the cause / effect created by Sage apparently being the official Santa Cruz "launch" color - used during the revel and all the promotion images on Hyundai's website.

With green normally being unpopular it was pretty risky for Hyundai to feature it so much. But clearly people are digging it. Guess they were onto something. So what does this say about potential SC buyers? More open to be different? Not afraid to stand out? More outdoorsy? Clearly the SC is not your typical pickup nor CUV thus an odd ball color like green fits right in.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am dead-dog-tired of black, white, and all of the various shades of gray, including metalic versions thereof (silver, pearl, etc.) Hyundai's pastels are, at least, a change from those monochrome shades. And, as you point out, in keeping with the somewhat-whimsical notion of the Santa Cruz.

Reactions: Vols and JMII

·
Registered
23 Posts
I feel like this is a chicken/egg situation. How do they know what colors sell the best? People can only buy what is produced, so the “popular” list should be from a production standpoint, not a sales view.

·
Registered
150 Posts
People can only buy what is produced, so the “popular” list should be from a production standpoint, not a sales view.
You got it backwards. They adjust production to meet demand. They offer several colors but poor selling "unpopular" choices will not ordered and thus not built for very long. No dealer wants a slow selling color sitting on the lot collecting dust (and costing them floor plan). Keep in mind from Hyundai's point of view the "customer" is the dealer, not you. Occasional OEMs will produce some duds. When the 350Z launched it was offered in a color called Brickyard Red... a burgundy / wine color that was a total sales disaster. It sold so badly that it was immediately discontinued.

The real question here is does the current interest in Sage turn into actual sales because statistics say no way - white, black and grey should out sell green by a long shot. Guess we will know next year ;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I feel like this is a chicken/egg situation. How do they know what colors sell the best? People can only buy what is produced, so the “popular” list should be from a production standpoint, not a sales view.
Concept cars and market research with sample surveys and just copying other manufacturers that have positive reception. For the Taos press car they are showing off lately in that blue, forget what its called, but its almost an exact ripoff of the blue Porsche used and were praised for.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree that it can be adjusted and colors change, but omiting a red color on the Santa Cruz doesn’t seem logical. Can’t convince me that it would be “unpopular”.

·
Registered
150 Posts
A red or orange would fit in with their natural desert color theme... here is my take - I give you "Red Rock" -

Interesting note - if you download the Desert Sand image off Hyundai's website the PNG file is actually called "Sandstorm". This will be the answer to a trivia question at some point in the future :giggle:

·
Registered
4 Posts
That would be a great color that would give us a shade of red but still keep the sort of desert theme going. Hopefully, Hyundai will consider something like that for 2023 or 2024, but who knows?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Maybe this will shed some clue to the actual Desert Sand color.. on the info that I saw a while back, the yellow color was actually listed as "Glowing Yellow." Being that all the configurator colors are no where accurate to the photos that have spied the cars, I wonder if they just changed the color name and it will truly end up being yellow and not a goldish hue.

·
Registered
"I want my SAV!"
141 Posts
I thought Desert Sand would look more like this new 2022 Subaru Outback Wildness color.

9.5" of ground clearance! How long before they reintroduce the Baja? 😱

·
Registered
66 Posts
... How long before they reintroduce the Baja? 😱
Yes, I'll bet a lot of the other makers are anxious to see how mucch real interest there is in this new 'not-a-truck'.

Reactions: treybrad and JMII
41 - 60 of 77 Posts