Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the list of the Santa Cruz's dimensions from Hyundai. They also compare its specs to the likes of the Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Tacoma, and Nissan Frontier.

Specification (in.)Santa CruzTacomaRidgelineFrontier
Length195.7212.2210.0205.5
Width75.075.278.572.8
Height66.770.770.370.1
Wheelbase118.3127.4125.2126.0
Bed LengthUpper 48.4
Lower 52.1
Footprint Area
(sq. ft.)

Registered
Specification (in.)Santa CruzTucson
Length195.7182.3
Width75.073.4
Height66.765.6
Wheelbase118.3108.5
Bed LengthUpper 48.4
Lower 52.1
N/A
Footprint Area
(sq. ft.)

Am I the only one not remotely interested in any of those other vehicles? 馃榾

I'm torn between the Tucson and the Santa Cruz that it shares a chassis with. I figure they are both quite similar, so whatever attracts you to one is likely to attract you to the other, where it becomes more a question of whether you want a hatchback or a short bed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Specification (in.)Santa CruzTucson
Length195.7182.3
Width75.073.4
Height66.765.6
Wheelbase118.3108.5
Bed LengthUpper 48.4
Lower 52.1
N/A
Footprint Area
(sq. ft.)

Am I the only one not remotely interested in any of those other vehicles? 馃榾

I'm torn between the Tucson and the Santa Cruz that it shares a chassis with. I figure they are both quite similar, so whatever attracts you to one is likely to attract you to the other, where it becomes more a question of whether you want a hatchback or a short bed.
Yeah as far as designs go they're pretty much the same in the front end. I think the big decision for people is whether you're going to carry anything that requires a truck bed or not.

Registered
Yeah as far as designs go they're pretty much the same in the front end. I think the big decision for people is whether you're going to carry anything that requires a truck bed or not.
Or visa versa, as I'm trying to think of how many things I would absolutely need to have inside the vehicle as opposed to just having a lockable basically waterproof short bed.

The Tucson is probably a little lighter, I'd guess a couple mpg more efficient with the same engine, and while with the seats down you could fit longer things internally, on the SC you could always lower the bed and have things hang off slightly while having no upper limit to how tall things could be (could probably carry a fridge upright in one) and stinky/dirty things won't mess up your interior like doing a run for mulch or sod.

I'm curious to see specs like turn radius, and see how the even longer wheelbase feels out on the road, as I'm wondering if it might make it feel like a Cadillac, as generally the more stretched out you go the smoother the ride. Pickups usually lose this though by being more heavily sprung in the rear than they need to be for when they are carrying loads, but Hyundai implied they must be using regular soft springs probably with airbag helpers since it says its a self-leveling independent rear suspension.

Registered
What I find interesting is the Ranger isn't on this list. Maybe because its much bigger? The real comparison will be against the smaller Maverick in Ford's lineup.

Santa CruzOld Ranger
(extended cab short bed)
New Ranger
Length195.7198.2210.8
Width
69.477.8 (mirrors folded)
Height66.764.171.1
Wheelbase118.3125.0126.8

One thing I noticed years ago when I switched from my old Ranger Splash to my current Dakota Quad Cab was a vast improvement in ride quality due the longer wheelbase (131.1). Size wise the Santa Cruz compares pretty close to an old Ranger Extended Cab. Visually the new Ranger looks HUGE, it is very high off the ground with an aggressive rake (higher in the back) likely so it sits level when hauling or towing.

but Hyundai implied they must be using regular soft springs probably with airbag helpers since it says its a self-leveling independent rear suspension.
Very curious about this too. Hard to believe they would fit airbags to a vehicle like this. One of the reasons I'm looking at the Santa Cruz is after 20+ years of BOF truck ownership I'd like something that rode nicer. The bouncy ride of pickups is annoying. I've gotten very spoiled by the amazing mag-ride suspension on my Corvette.

Registered
Very curious about this too. Hard to believe they would fit airbags to a vehicle like this. One of the reasons I'm looking at the Santa Cruz is after 20+ years of BOF truck ownership I'd like something that rode nicer. The bouncy ride of pickups is annoying. I've gotten very spoiled by the amazing mag-ride suspension on my Corvette.
So motortrend says not bag springs or helper bags in coil springs, but rather self-leveling shocks: 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz First Look: Return of the Compact Truck
The rear suspension is equipped with standard self-leveling shock absorbers to keep the truck level even when there's weight in the bed or a trailer on the hitch.
I didn't know dampers could do that, as usually they only control how fast the suspension compresses and rebounds and can't vary spring weight, but these apparently can use the up and down movement of the suspension to act as its own pump and vary pressure to increase or reduce additional spring rate to assist the weaker coil springs:

Clever!

Registered
Indeed!

Impressive tech if it works as shown. Will likely be more expensive then your average shocks but no where near the cost of a more complex system with pumps, lines, valves, etc. Keeping the vehicle level is also important so your headlights stay aimed properly.

Registered
2012 Mini Cooper 2007 Honda CR-V 1968 IH Travelall 4X4
Compared the HSC complete specifications to our 2006 Honda CR-V to get a feel for the differences. I've always thought a Honda CR-V "Ridgeline type" pickup would be great; especially if they carried over their old school station wagon lift/swing combo tailgate. I am happily surprised to see more headroom and legroom in the HSC for my tall frame. Overall vehicle length is 17.8" longer and height is only 0.6" higher.

PS: Does anyone know the weight of the HSC yet?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts