Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the new Santa Cruz pickup truck key features you need to know can be found here. It comes directly from Hyundai and covers the open-bed design, powertrains and towing, the spacious interior, entertainment and tech, and the SmartSense suite of driver assistive and safety tech.

Open bed
Tough, 4.3-foot-long, composite-molded

Tailgate
Remote-activated opening

Storage
Lockable under-bed plus side compartments

Step bumper
Integrated rear bumper side-steps

Loading and lighting
Heavy-duty cargo D-rings and LED bed lights

Power
In-bed 115V power inverter

Tonneau cover
Factory-integrated, retractable and locking

Rear window
Slider with defroster

Utility tracks and roof side rails
Dual C-channel with adjustable tie-down cleats

Engines
2.5L GDI MPI 4 cylinder or available 2.5L Turbocharged

Transmissions
8-speed SHIFTRONIC® automatic, available 8-speed Wet Dual Clutch

Capability
HTRAC All Wheel Drive

Towing capacity
3,500 up to 5,000 lbs., pre-wired for towing

Payload
Up to 1,748 lbs.

Wheels
18-inch alloy or available 20-inch alloys

In-cab storage
Removable bin under 2nd row

Driver seat
8-way power with lumbar support

Front seats
Heated and ventilated

Steering wheel
Leather-wrapped and heated

Interior upgrades
Leather trimmed seats and power sunroof

Smartphone connection
Wireless Apple CarPlay® or Android Auto™

Digital access
Hyundai Digital Key

Instrument cluster
10.25-inch digital display

Navigation
10.25-inch hi-res touchscreen

Premium audio
Bose with 8-speakers and subwoofer

Hyundai SmartSense
Hyundai Forward Collision Avoidance Assist

Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist with Pedestrian Detection (FCA-Ped)⁠
When the forward camera and radar detect a vehicle or pedestrian in your path, it warns you of a potential collision. If you don’t begin stopping in time, the system will automatically apply emergency braking.⁠

Hyundai Smart Cruise Control

Smart Cruise Control (SCC) with Stop & Go⁠
While traveling at a speed set by you, it uses radars to maintain a safe distance from the car ahead. When your Hyundai slows down to 6 mph or less, the cruise control automatically turns off. The cruise control also intelligently reactivates if the vehicle in front of you starts moving again within 3 seconds of stopping.⁠

Blind-Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist (BCA)

Blind-Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist (BCA)⁠
If your Hyundai detects a vehicle in your blind spot while your turning signal's on, it will alert you with an audible and visual warning and also automatically apply brakes, if necessary.⁠

Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist (RCCA)

Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist (RCCA)⁠
When you’re going in reverse, it lets you know if its sensors detect a vehicle approaching from the left or right. It will even apply the brakes automatically if needed.⁠

Lane Following Assist (LFA)⁠
Using the front-view camera to detect lane markers on the road, this feature assists the driver's steering to help keep the vehicle centered inside the lane.⁠

Lane Keeping Assist (LKA)⁠
Your vehicle warns you through audio and visual cues if your vehicle drifts out of its driving lane without signaling. If necessary, it will gently apply corrective steering assistance to keep you inside the lane.⁠

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Highway Driving Assist (HDA)⁠
When you're using Smart Cruise Control and Lane Following Assist, this technology automatically helps keep you centered in your lane and traveling at a safe distance from the car ahead. It also keeps you driving at the right speeds, setting your pace based on GPS and highway data.⁠

Blind-Spot View Monitor (BVM)⁠
When you use the turn signal before a lane change, the digital instrument cluster displays a live video feed of your blind spot from the side-view mirror cameras.⁠

Driver Attention Warning (DAW)⁠
To help prevent potential accidents, this system monitors your driving patterns to detect drowsy or inattentive driving. Once detected, it alerts you with a sound cue coupled with a warning message on the instrument panel.⁠

Rear Occupant Alert (ROA)⁠
Reminds you to check the backseat area to ensure a child or pet isn’t accidentally left inside after you park.⁠

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Some very impressive tech listed here.

I wonder if BVM works in reverse :unsure: Given the backup camera's location (on the tailgate handle) it will not be of much use when trailering or when you have to lower the tailgate for longer items.

Also wonder if they will have a way to enter a trailer length like Ford does. This way the BCA accounts for the extra length.

·
Registered
740 Posts
pre-wired for towing
Weird thing is that even the supposedly closer to production model recently spotted still doesn't show a wiring plug or even a hitch. I heard many Hyundai crossovers are technically prewired for towing, but its a hidden strapped away set of loose cables, not a proper trailer plug, and hitches are dealer installed options. Hope that's not the case here, as even they say its not a pickup, they advertise the good tow capacity too much not to include a decent factory looking hitch.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
...they advertise the good tow capacity too much not to include a decent factory looking hitch.
Very likely a dealer installed package. Why put it on every vehicle which only drives up the cost for those that will never tow? I'm sure Hyundai has calculated the take rate for such an option and realized its more economical to let dealers handle it for individual customers. Heck even the Ranger requires ordering a towing package to get the hitch and wiring plug.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Very likely a dealer installed package. Why put it on every vehicle which only drives up the cost for those that will never tow? I'm sure Hyundai has calculated the take rate for such an option and realized its more economical to let dealers handle it for individual customers. Heck even the Ranger requires ordering a towing package to get the hitch and wiring plug.
It has a bed and a rather high tow rating (5K lbs) with an automatic leveling rear suspension for towing... and those aftermarket tow hitches always look like afterthoughts. I've never seen a pickup without a hitch, its rather central to its purpose, especially if you have a short bed which you compensate with by renting a trailer if you have some long stuff.

It should be really common IMO, and when done at the factory is much cheaper for each person than when dealers have to partially disassemble the vehicle and with questionable workmanship modify it to take a bolton trailer hitch.
For the new Tucson, the tow hitch is a $450 accessory.
Anyone ever seen a picture of it? I know it wouldn't be the same as on the SC, but just curious.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
It should be really common IMO, and when done at the factory is much cheaper for each person than when dealers have to partially disassemble the vehicle and with questionable workmanship modify it to take a bolton trailer hitch.
I put a hitch on my parents Ford Escape - it just bolted into holes already on the vehicles frame. No modifications required. It looks OEM and took no more then 40 minutes. The hardest part was the wiring since it required removing the tail lights and fishing the wire down under the bumper. As long as the SC has a wiring pigtail from the factory I have zero concerns about a dealer installed hitch.

·
Registered
TBD
49 Posts
Weird thing is that even the supposedly closer to production model recently spotted still doesn't show a wiring plug or even a hitch. I heard many Hyundai crossovers are technically prewired for towing, but its a hidden strapped away set of loose cables, not a proper trailer plug, and hitches are dealer installed options. Hope that's not the case here, as even they say its not a pickup, they advertise the good tow capacity too much not to include a decent factory looking hitch.
I work for another manufacturer and work very closely with tow hitches. I think this comes down to 2 possible reasons.

1. It could simply be that all accessories are dealer installed and that's how Hyundai does it to clean up the production line. I'm surprised that many vehicles are already wired as the company I work for has vehicles wired to the B-pillar from the factory, but we have to run a harness from the B-pillar to the rear.

2. It could have something to do with CAFE ratings and how the vehicle is registered from Hyundai. Our company will actually run the tow harness before the vehicle gets to the dealers, but have to let the dealers do the tow hitch install. Specifically, our issue came down to departure angle and how the vehicle was classified when it was in development.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Many dealers will do a fine job, but many of us will also have no clue how good the guy at a random dealership is that installs hitches. Maybe they are usually good, but the main guy is on vacation so the new guy has to do it himself.

That's when you end up with jobs like this new CX-9 crap job: Shoddy Tow hitch job? - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Or this molested Durango: Dealer Destroyed My Rear Bumper! - DodgeForum.com

Or this poor guy's brand new RX450:

Or sometimes the dealer did nothing wrong, like the dealers installing tow hitches on Subaru Crosstreks. No matter how careful they are, it will never look factory and always appear tacked on because it is. :(

Then you have companies that do it right from the factory even if its not a truck like VW Sportwagen hidden hitch:

Oh well, not too much reason to stress until we see the final result from Hyundai.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
486 Posts
I like the idea and practicality of the "digital key," but in the videos they mention it only works with Android. Are Apple users left out? The safety features are useful, but the full suite will be on the decked out SC.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,131 Posts
Oh well, not too much reason to stress until we see the final result from Hyundai.
Yeah, I'm curious how the hitch will look myself. Even if I rarely tow, I still want the hitch for those odd times I do. Like last year when I pulled a U-Haul to move my brother. Given how VERY nicely integrated the hitch is on the Maverick - right down to repositioning the license plate - Hyundai needs to make this look like it's not an afterthought as they market the 5,000lb tow capacity.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Many dealers will do a fine job, but many of us will also have no clue how good the guy at a random dealership is that installs hitches. Maybe they are usually good, but the main guy is on vacation so the new guy has to do it himself. ...
All of these stories only touched on the shoddy appearance -- but what about the installation of mounting hardware and fastenings. Imagine what could be going wrong underneath, where it fastens to the frame!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Yeah, I'm curious how the hitch will look myself. Even if I rarely tow, I still want the hitch for those odd times I do. Like last year when I pulled a U-Haul to move my brother. Given how VERY nicely integrated the hitch is on the Maverick - right down to repositioning the license plate - Hyundai needs to make this look like it's not an afterthought as they market the 5,000lb tow capacity.
Even if you don't tow, hitches are great. I even put one on our old Fiat 500 to fit a bike rack. So many accessories available.

They have tow hook ones so you could pull out an ATV or something, hitch steps, little baskets that are way more aerodynamic than roof racks and won't cause whistling, light pods, although on my truck I usually just have it plugged in to this bright "fourth brake light" thing that lights up like a Ram head whenever I step on the brakes.

I know they don't call it a pickup truck, but its close enough to one that not having a hitch is not an option IMO.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Even if you don't tow, hitches are great. ... So many accessories available. ... baskets that are way more aerodynamic than roof racks and won't cause whistling...
I know they don't call it a pickup truck...
Also, bike or wheelchair carriers.

The ability to easily add these kinds of accessories could go a long way toward alleviating the limited bed space.

I can imagine the watercooler discussion that goes like this: " Yes, the bed is shorter. But, on weekends, I just add the bike rack and still have that whole bed for all the other gear. Then, the rest of the week, my Santa Cruz fits easily into the garage or a parking space. And, did I mention that it drives like a dream?"

Then mutters to self, '...unlike that monster truck of yours that has to make a slowly creeping five-point turn to get into and out of a parking space every time you go to the store.'

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,131 Posts
* stares slack-jawed and wipes away a little drool *

1 - 20 of 26 Posts