Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I love my Santa Cruz. I’m just a little concerned because in two weeks I have had the engine just shut off while driving at a lower speed out of nowhere. Has anyone else had this issue. Luckily I’m having them do something to mine at dealership tomorrow so I’ll be getting it checked out and report back. I was curious is anyone else is having the issue?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hey everyone. I love my Santa Cruz. I’m just a little concerned because in two weeks I have had the engine just shut off while driving at a lower speed out of nowhere. Has anyone else had this issue. Luckily I’m having them do something to mine at dealership tomorrow so I’ll be getting it checked out and report back. I was curious is anyone else is having the issue?
OBD scanner yet? Did is show any errors?

·
Administrator
103 Posts
What's a gear slip feel like with a slush-box automatic? I've never experienced that before.
Depending on the severity, you might hear an increase in engine speed and see it on the tachometer with no increase in vehicle speed even though the vehicle hasn't changed gears OR a feeling that you pushed in the clutch on a manual transmission while accelerating or cruising then release it causing a "flare" in the engine speed followed by a "jolt".

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I took it in today and after then having it all day in usual car dealerships they couldn’t duplicate the problem even when I showed them a video of what it doesn’t when it happens. So we will continue this tomorrow. They better figure it out or hello lemon law!!

·
Registered
411 Posts
So I took it in today and after then having it all day in usual car dealerships they couldn’t duplicate the problem even when I showed them a video of what it doesn’t when it happens. So we will continue this tomorrow. They better figure it out or hello lemon law!!
Did they capture any error codes through the OBD port?

Maybe this has nothing to do with it.. but I had the older dry DCT and it took me a while to get use to it. Assuming you don't have an issue, I found that hitting it hard from a stand-still produced a lag and then SNAP.. along with a clunk it would finally launch. Slowing down had some issues too... if I kept on the gas, but was slowing the DTC seems to search for the right gear.. so it was shifting up/down which felt weird. Last thing was about 5 seconds after stopping, there seemed to be a "surge"... so it would want to "creep" forward which made me feel like I had to push down harder on the breaks... sometimes it would sputter and the RPMs would drop to almost zero. The dealer checked it and pushed a software "update" that helped, but that never fixed it 100%

I'm not saying you DON'T have an issue... just sharing what I found with the old DCT.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL Premium AWD 2.5T Blue Stone
186 Posts
Did they capture any error codes through the OBD port?

Maybe this has nothing to do with it.. but I had the older dry DCT and it took me a while to get use to it. Assuming you don't have an issue, I found that hitting it hard from a stand-still produced a lag and then SNAP.. along with a clunk it would finally launch. Slowing down had some issues too... if I kept on the gas, but was slowing the DTC seems to search for the right gear.. so it was shifting up/down which felt weird. Last thing was about 5 seconds after stopping, there seemed to be a "surge"... so it would want to "creep" forward which made me feel like I had to push down harder on the breaks... sometimes it would sputter and the RPMs would drop to almost zero. The dealer checked it and pushed a software "update" that helped, but that never fixed it 100%

I'm not saying you DON'T have an issue... just sharing what I found with the old DCT.
That sounds like my 2012 Veloster DCT. It, too, has a dry clutch, and at lower speeds and in start/stop traffic, it will hunt between 1st & 2nd. I recently discovered the best way to deal with it is to shift it to manual mode and put it in 2nd gear when I'm stopped. It starts up just fine, and doesn't hunt for the gear. I just have to remember to shift it when stopped. I haven't noticed an issue with the Santa Cruz.

·
Registered
411 Posts
That sounds like my 2012 Veloster DCT. It, too, has a dry clutch, and at lower speeds and in start/stop traffic, it will hunt between 1st & 2nd. I recently discovered the best way to deal with it is to shift it to manual mode and put it in 2nd gear when I'm stopped. It starts up just fine, and doesn't hunt for the gear. I just have to remember to shift it when stopped. I haven't noticed an issue with the Santa Cruz.
Awesome... yup... takes some time to "know" it... I'm very familiar with the Veloster, another funky fun design from Hyundai that was breaking new ground. Love the suicide rear door. We have two Velosters in the family still. One will be replaced by an "N" version... like me, they are waiting on their order.

Thanks for the shifting tips... glad to hear no issue on the SC! (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL Premium AWD 2.5T Blue Stone
186 Posts
Awesome... yup... takes some time to "know" it... I'm very familiar with the Veloster, another funky fun design from Hyundai that was breaking new ground. Love the suicide rear door. We have two Velosters in the family still. One will be replaced by an "N" version... like me, they are waiting on their order.

Thanks for the shifting tips... glad to hear no issue on the SC! (y)(y)(y)
The only thing that bugs me about the "gear hunting" problem in the Veloster is that we bought it in March 2012, and I just discovered the work-around to it this summer. We suffered through the jerky gear hunting for 9 years.

And yeah, we love our Veloster. It has plenty of room for the two of us (and our 3 cats in the back seat when we visit my MIL). The hatch area is large. It gets decent mileage. It looks sporty, even if it doesn't drive sporty (we have the non-turbo). And it's been relatively trouble-free over those 9+ years of ownership. My wife will commute in it until it finally becomes too costly to repair, which could be another 10 years.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hopefully it doesn’t happen again.
A lot us here hope so too - for you and for all of us as well.

Whether it happens again or doesn't, please keep the forum up to date, as this is not at all normal behavior and something that we should all be informed about. I find it curious that the engine would shut down and throw no codes, either the electronics/software have issues in the SC or the dealer is incompetent - or maybe both.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2022 Limited Stone Blue
6 Posts
I have a '22 Limited, sometimes after "cold" start (I live in NW FL) when the engine settles down from initial fast idle it will shut off. Restarts fine and I have not figured out a specific pattern causing it. No MIL, I will try to look for impending codes in a few days..

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So ladies and gents. After my initial experience with the shut offs I can say that after twice I haven’t had any future problem and hope it stays that way. Thinking if could be just from Breaking in the engine process but so in love with it now and the new modifications I’ve added to mine I love it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts