Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

2022 Santa Cruz engine shut off

17K views 54 replies 28 participants last post by  Eduardo 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I love my Santa Cruz. I’m just a little concerned because in two weeks I have had the engine just shut off while driving at a lower speed out of nowhere. Has anyone else had this issue. Luckily I’m having them do something to mine at dealership tomorrow so I’ll be getting it checked out and report back. I was curious is anyone else is having the issue?

#9 · (Edited)
Did they capture any error codes through the OBD port?

Maybe this has nothing to do with it.. but I had the older dry DCT and it took me a while to get use to it. Assuming you don't have an issue, I found that hitting it hard from a stand-still produced a lag and then SNAP.. along with a clunk it would finally launch. Slowing down had some issues too... if I kept on the gas, but was slowing the DTC seems to search for the right gear.. so it was shifting up/down which felt weird. Last thing was about 5 seconds after stopping, there seemed to be a "surge"... so it would want to "creep" forward which made me feel like I had to push down harder on the breaks... sometimes it would sputter and the RPMs would drop to almost zero. The dealer checked it and pushed a software "update" that helped, but that never fixed it 100%

I'm not saying you DON'T have an issue... just sharing what I found with the old DCT.

#19 ·
I had a 2010 Kia Forte that I bought new back in 2010. Engine shut off just after pulling out of a grocery store. Took it in to a deal where they did a performance software update. Happened one more time in the exact same place but never again after that.

#20 ·
Hello all. I've had mine about a week now. Sel with activity package so just the standard 2.5l non turbo. Today in stop and go traffic is suddenly lost power for a minute, then just shut off. Wouldn't restart and had to call for tow. Ended up waiting over 1/2 an hour occasionally trying it and close to 45 minutes later, boom started up and acted like nothing was wrong. Drive it straight to the dealership who his it up and sees nothing. Tech says since it didn't show any warning lights at the time and the computer shows nothing now it's best to wait until it happens again otherwise there isn't anything they can do. Pull out, made it less than a block, power drops it's hardly moving. Make it to the next driveway which happens to be there sister dealership and does again. Refuses to restart. Tech walk over hooks it up again and still doesn't see anything. It's in the shop now waiting to see what happens. Seriously have loved the truck so far and hopefully this doesn't change that. It's a real eyecatcher with random people always doing and asking about it and it's been perfect for what I need otherwise.

#21 ·
Curious if you have Bluelink activated?

If they can't find anything, check the battery cable connection (long shot). Someone here found that his was loose from the factory/dealer. Can't remember what symtom it caused. I think it is something the dealers have to do during prep.

#24 ·
So little update. Just heard from the dealer and I'm told the fuel pump inside the gas tank itself failed, so it's being replaced. Hopefully that is the issue and I don't have any more problems. Currently waiting on the new part and hoping to get it back in the next day or two. My only worry is that after the first time it happened I drove it several miles on the highway and it didn't happen again until I pulled out of the lot in slow traffic by the dealership. The think it was the difference between "failing part" and "failed part" that allowed me to make it. I'm just hoping this isn't a different problem showing up as this.

#25 ·
i hope it is just the fuel pump. I'm a lot more comfortable when i hear a failed fuel pump or a failed windshield wiper fluid pump then the entire thing is a lemon. so far i think i've read 2 or 3 on this forum that have had a major issue. One got shafted sadly (@SantaCruzFan) another got a new car fairly quickly and I think the third was a tranny that got replaced. Still feel really bad for SCF as HMA should have given you a new vehicle priority and taken back the lemon for testing.
GL

#26 ·
I have experienced electric fuel pump failures and those vehicles behaved exactly as your SC did. Unlike the old mechanical fuel pumps, which either worked or didn't, these tend to work intermittently for a while and then eventually die completely.

I think that is actually very good news for you if that is the problem. That is an assembly that can be swapped out by the dealer and could well be the only thing wrong with your SC. My wife’s Infiniti SUV had one replaced when it was fairly new and it has been fine. You have a good chance that you will be good to go.

Good luck and keep us informed.

#28 ·
Ok. Just picked it up from the Shop. They say it's all fixed and so far so good. Hopefully there are no further problems and the Santa Cruz leads a long and healthy life after this hicup.

On the down side can't say i'm thrilled with the dealership. the put nearly 100 miles on the truck for "testing". And if that's what it took then so be it. But combined with them moving everything including the head rest (Usually not something people move just to drive it as needed). Added an iphone. Changed some of my favorite radio stations. Moved personal belongings around (nothing that would need to be moved for the repair) all makes me think someone was driving it around and or taking it for customer test drives rather than making sure the issue was fixed. And didn't even put gas in it just delivered it with over half a tank gone.

At least she's fixed. Despite it all can't help but loving this truck.

#34 ·
Ok. Just picked it up from the Shop. They say it's all fixed and so far so good. Hopefully there are no further problems and the Santa Cruz leads a long and healthy life after this hicup.

On the down side can't say i'm thrilled with the dealership. the put nearly 100 miles on the truck for "testing". And if that's what it took then so be it. But combined with them moving everything including the head rest (Usually not something people move just to drive it as needed). Added an iphone. Changed some of my favorite radio stations. Moved personal belongings around (nothing that would need to be moved for the repair) all makes me think someone was driving it around and or taking it for customer test drives rather than making sure the issue was fixed. And didn't even put gas in it just delivered it with over half a tank gone.

At least she's fixed. Despite it all can't help but loving this truck.
I would complain and at least get a tank of fuel out of it. And call the phone if the number is in it and ask why they put their phone in your system. You actually have quite a few complaints

#29 ·
Glad it’s hood to go. Dealer experience is a hit and miss.Hyundai US isn’t well known for their good dealer experience, below that of likes of Honda and Toyota - but on par with Ford and GM.
i don’t use my closest Hyundai dealer aftermy first visit there, ended up buy from the second closest dealer. Built a decent relationship with them with service and previous warranty work, returned to them to for the SC.

#35 ·
Hello I have the same issue also; my vehicle have 8300 miles and it did it twice so far the dealer is telling me that they can't duplicate the problem. I ask for the software to be reinstalled maybe there is a an error or something from the factory.. what else can we do?
thanks

#38 ·
You can do a reset yourself by pressing the small pinhole on the left side of the console screen.

I haven't had any of these shutoff or hesitation issues with my SEL AWD, but a few days ago I thought my horn made a quick half-beep out of the blue; like you tapped the horn. I was going 37mph and accellerating at a normal pace. There were no cars on my side of the divided road and I was in the center of my lane. It's possible that someone going the other direction tapped their horn for some reason, but it sure sounded like it came from my vehicle. 🤷‍♂️

I thought I read here that someone else stated their lane warning/assist beeped their horn. Hasn't happened again.

#40 ·
Well if my SC is going to give me more trouble than the hesitation once in a while I wish it would do it in the next two weeks.....as The Maverick Lariat Hybrid I ordered last June is going to be here 3/21-27th... And I might jump ship..."Might" but doubt it unless I feel like it's not going to be reliable and for me that is pretty easy..Leave me stranded just once :)

#42 ·
I finally released the Lariat Hybrid back to the dealer :)... It was just too tempting because of the gas prices, I would've been unhappy and getting great mpg with the Lariat... and only loving the MPG wouldn't of been enough for me not to regret getting the Lariat... So it had to go before I did something stupid :)

#43 ·
Hello, I was driving my Santa Cruz today and it just stopped in motion as I was getting ready to merge onto the highway. This is the 3rd time I have had this happen. I have only had my SC 4 months. It is a 2022 Santa Cruz. I took in for service today and they said no error codes popped up on the machine. I left the vehicle with them to work it out. I will not feel safe driving it until they fix it.

#45 ·
Your one of maybe 2 I have seen on here that it's has happened more than 1 time. I would say you might have something more serious than others. Don't get me wrong I am not saying that even if it happens once is to many times. Good luck! Be prepared for them to put 100 miles on and not a drop of fuel in the tank.

#46 ·
Hi Goldy, forum, anyone else having the stalling problem, find resolution? Unfortunately, mine, new SEL Activity, stalled today. Too bad, it does drive nice and price was decent. My wife has a Palisade and no problems, but wondering if I should have strayed from Honda.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.