Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much more upscale than the Maverick, could compete with upper trims of the SC.

Weird choice having the center brake light on the tailgate itself though... lower the tailgate and you lose an important safety light... hmmm.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Weird choice having the center brake light on the tailgate itself though... lower the tailgate and you lose an important safety light... hmmm.
perhap Australia has different requirements for the centre break light… I don’t think that would be legal here… or I could be wrong, haven’t really looked into it

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
And it got bigger... which is whole reason I gave up on the previous new (now slightly older) Ranger. Turns out mid-size is actually what we once called full size. The Mav and SC maybe called compact but they are actually closer in size to my old school "mid size" Dakota. Bigger is NOT better.

The updated interior does look like an improvement. I wonder if they tuned the suspension better as the current Ranger has been described as bouncy - a by product of being a "global platform" and not optimized for US roads.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,245 Posts
Soooooooooo .. they made the Ranger look like the Maverick. Can't say I'm a fan of the look, but at least it fits in better with Ford's design language. But to keep making them bigger and calling them mid-size is ridiculous.

There's still room for 'sub-compact pickups' even smaller than the SC/Mav, if you ask me. Or ask any of the folks who still love their OLD Rangers/1st gen Colorados/the old S-10/S-15s that came before them. Maybe they'll truckify a Venue! LOL

Reactions: JMII

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is just one particular trim, not sure what all the trims will look like yet. I'm hoping other trims aren't as tall as this, as I'm flexible on length but too tall is a deal breaker for us.

I think the big question is going to be pricing. I had priced out a 21 (last gen) Ranger XL in rapid red with STX special edition package which actually looks pretty nice, tow package, and spray in liner and it came out to $34K (see below). Loaded up you can get them into the mid $40s. If pricing is similar and they can do low $30s in a decent trim in the all-new Ranger, I could see them selling a lot.

Wheel Tire Sky Automotive side marker light Vehicle

The talk about diesels is likely Aussie only though, and guessing the US will stick w/ the same old 2.3L ecoboost, which is basically just a stroked version of the ecoboost in the Maverick. With 270hp/310ftlbs its on par with the SC 2.5T.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
If pricing is similar and they can do low $30s in a decent trim in the all-new Ranger, I could see them selling a lot.
The current Ranger is moving at about 88k units on average per year. It will be interesting to see how the Mav effects this.

One of the other reasons I switched from looking at a Ranger to the SC was they had equal power. I was under the impression during all the SC rumors that when (or IF) it got made it would be a silly under powered thing.

The too tall thing is real - the Ranger forums have posts where people compare Fords press photos to the real deal - the truck has an aggressive rake (higher in the back). I assume this is to offset what happens when you fill the bed and it sags back down. Glad Hyundai put leveling rear suspension on the SC to offset this.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The CHMSL is mounted on the tailgate on the Gladiator in the US and Canada.
Yes, for a passenger vehicle to be sold in Canada (I assume the US as well) you'll need the center light.
Operationally, with tail down, how would that comply with provincial traffic regulations and regulations are different (similar) provincially here. Certain types of classic vehicles can be driven with only one brake light in Ontario.

Hatchbacks, wagons and SUV's can't have the brake/tail lights on the hatch itself, without having a secondary location. i.e. to the side or below (typically part of the bumper) - Just in case one decides to drive with the hatch open.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts