Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Limited Road Trip Review

Just finished 2500 mile road trip from Florida to North Carolina mountains. Somehow I got very lucky and was able to secure my Santa Cruz prior to the trip. These are my thoughts after 2500 miles.
  • My expectations of the car are EXCEEDED. Truly better than what I thought it would be
  • Ride rivals that of a luxury SUV on the highway. Yet suspension is firm enough to allow travel on rutted dirt roads and gravel without a problem, (have no interest in true off-roading). Who would want to muddy up and scrape up such a wonderful vehicle?
  • Safety options are spectacular. Highway driving with lane assist and smart cruise control makes busy and semi truck loaded interstate less stressful to drive and safer. Blind spot detection very helpful as there is limited visibility to the side. Pedestrian detection saved us from colliding with a deer jumping in front of us from the shadows. Additional safety features on Limited highly recommended. 360 degree camera is a god send for a tight garage.
  • Very sporty and fun to drive with plenty of power. I come from an old model BMW 540, and yet remain totally impressed with the drivability of the vehicle. As comfortable on windy mountain roads as the interstate. Corners and steers very well and feels well controlled and safe. Initially disappointed that it was only a 4 cylinder but acceleration and power plentiful and I got over that quickly.
  • Very quiet on the road even at interstate speeds. Big feature for me and I was willing to accept less and was pleasantly surprised at how quiet it was. I really did not think it would be as comfortable and quiet on the highway and did not feel that it would be my preferred road trip vehicle. What a surprise!!
  • I first thought that I would want to change out the 20” wheels and tires but am very happy with them.
  • Rear bed cover seems secure and is lockable, important on a road trip. Few drops of water in heavy rain but totally acceptable and just be prepared. Trunk in bed very handy for those things you want in the vehicle all of the time, tarps, straps etc. Bed cover likely makes it more quiet on the highway.
  • Seats comfortable and did not create long hour driving fatigue. One reviewer said headrest too far forward and I agree but one can adjust around it. Maybe someone will come up with an aftermarket one as would be easy to change out and I would consider it. Disappointed that with the wonderful interior trim that passenger seat is manual and one cannot lock a seat setting for driver seat. Although I do not understand the logic of those omissions, I can live with it.
  • Infotainment excellent. Have heard complaints about no volume knob but I change volume on steering wheel anyway. OEM system excellent and did not use Apple Car Play except for certain music. Very happy with large screen and navigation system. Love that I can mute from the steering wheel.
  • Average mpg about 24-25 on the trip. Acceptable. Regular gas - yeah.
  • Auto does draw attention - all positive. Have never owned such an attractive unique vehicle that was a fun positive conversation starter.
  • I quickly obtained Weathertech mats which I highly recommend.
  • Hyundai USA concierge was a total disappointment, and I have yet to get my refund! Dealer Holler Hyundai in Winter Park FL excellent.

I come from BMW sedan background but find in life I want more flexibility with the Home Depot runs and towing a small boat. This fits the bill perfectly providing the sporty driving feel that I love with outstanding safety features (now fully appreciated after 2500 miles) and a different set of use options than an SUV. I can deal with boat ramps, travel some dirt or gravel roads, haul a small load in the back, and be able to carry on a nice conversation or listen to my tunes as I safely cruise at 70-80 mph in comfort. It also fits in my garage and has a turning radius allowing parking flexibility. A wonderful surprise is that my wife is now it's biggest fan. It is not a work truck. It is not a full size pickup. It is what it is and I love it.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Vehicle
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,313 Posts
My wife initially said the headrest was too far forward and was causing her headaches on our hour and fifteen minute(ish) commute. I turned and looked and said it's probably because you're short and you have it set as high as it can go! So I dropped it down and she discovered the comfort that I had been raving about. The headrest is PERFECT for me. How many positions have you tried it in to get more comfortable?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My wife initially said the headrest was too far forward and was causing her headaches on our hour and fifteen minute(ish) commute. I turned and looked and said it's probably because you're short and you have it set as high as it can go! So I dropped it down and she discovered the comfort that I had been raving about. The headrest is PERFECT for me. How many positions have you tried it in to get more comfortable?
I actually find that adjusting the seat angle and playing with the height gets you to a sweet spot. If I angle seat up straighter than it seems too far forward. Just wish it were more adjustable.

·
Registered
White Limited AWD
43 Posts
Glad you’re enjoying it! Very similar story here. Also have a white limited. Recently drove it from Tampa FL to Wilmington NC. Now have 4K miles on it. I share the same sentiments coming from a 2020 Lexus ES 350. I also wanted more flexibility with towing and small home projects.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Limited Road Trip Review

Just finished 2500 mile road trip from Florida to North Carolina mountains. Somehow I got very lucky and was able to secure my Santa Cruz prior to the trip. These are my thoughts after 2500 miles.
  • My expectations of the car are EXCEEDED. Truly better than what I thought it would be
  • Ride rivals that of a luxury SUV on the highway. Yet suspension is firm enough to allow travel on rutted dirt roads and gravel without a problem, (have no interest in true off-roading). Who would want to muddy up and scrape up such a wonderful vehicle?
  • Safety options are spectacular. Highway driving with lane assist and smart cruise control makes busy and semi truck loaded interstate less stressful to drive and safer. Blind spot detection very helpful as there is limited visibility to the side. Pedestrian detection saved us from colliding with a deer jumping in front of us from the shadows. Additional safety features on Limited highly recommended. 360 degree camera is a god send for a tight garage.
  • Very sporty and fun to drive with plenty of power. I come from an old model BMW 540, and yet remain totally impressed with the drivability of the vehicle. As comfortable on windy mountain roads as the interstate. Corners and steers very well and feels well controlled and safe. Initially disappointed that it was only a 4 cylinder but acceleration and power plentiful and I got over that quickly.
  • Very quiet on the road even at interstate speeds. Big feature for me and I was willing to accept less and was pleasantly surprised at how quiet it was. I really did not think it would be as comfortable and quiet on the highway and did not feel that it would be my preferred road trip vehicle. What a surprise!!
  • I first thought that I would want to change out the 20” wheels and tires but am very happy with them.
  • Rear bed cover seems secure and is lockable, important on a road trip. Few drops of water in heavy rain but totally acceptable and just be prepared. Trunk in bed very handy for those things you want in the vehicle all of the time, tarps, straps etc. Bed cover likely makes it more quiet on the highway.
  • Seats comfortable and did not create long hour driving fatigue. One reviewer said headrest too far forward and I agree but one can adjust around it. Maybe someone will come up with an aftermarket one as would be easy to change out and I would consider it. Disappointed that with the wonderful interior trim that passenger seat is manual and one cannot lock a seat setting for driver seat. Although I do not understand the logic of those omissions, I can live with it.
  • Infotainment excellent. Have heard complaints about no volume knob but I change volume on steering wheel anyway. OEM system excellent and did not use Apple Car Play except for certain music. Very happy with large screen and navigation system. Love that I can mute from the steering wheel.
  • Average mpg about 24-25 on the trip. Acceptable. Regular gas - yeah.
  • Auto does draw attention - all positive. Have never owned such an attractive unique vehicle that was a fun positive conversation starter.
  • I quickly obtained Weathertech mats which I highly recommend.
  • Hyundai USA concierge was a total disappointment, and I have yet to get my refund! Dealer Holler Hyundai in Winter Park FL excellent.

I come from BMW sedan background but find in life I want more flexibility with the Home Depot runs and towing a small boat. This fits the bill perfectly providing the sporty driving feel that I love with outstanding safety features (now fully appreciated after 2500 miles) and a different set of use options than an SUV. I can deal with boat ramps, travel some dirt or gravel roads, haul a small load in the back, and be able to carry on a nice conversation or listen to my tunes as I safely cruise at 70-80 mph in comfort. It also fits in my garage and has a turning radius allowing parking flexibility. A wonderful surprise is that my wife is now it's biggest fan. It is not a work truck. It is not a full size pickup. It is what it is and I love it.

View attachment 3657 View attachment 3658 View attachment 3659 View attachment 3660
Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire

·
Registered
515 Posts
I liked the headrests in the Vera Cruz that you could adjust forward and back - but just a minor complaint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.