Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speedometer Light Gauge Odometer Font

Took a trip from Illinois to Maine & Vermont. The Santa Cruz limited was joy to drive. It was very comfortable for a 10 hour day driving. All of the extra features worked great. I liked the lane assist and the collision avoidance system. I kept forgetting when I had it on cruise and it wouldn’t catch up with a car in front of me. I had it set for 4 car lengths. For me it had all of the power I would need to manage the mountains we went through. Gas mpg was from 25 to 30 mpg on the trip with an average of 27.4. I know some members believe in the old school way of measuring mpg, but for me this is just fine. On the miles left before empty it would change based on the current mpg, so this was working for me. Cooling seats were nice also. I found for my use Apple CarPlay and google maps worked the best. We also had AAA trip tik, they matched up very good, except for a couple of exit numbers, but we did good. So overall the vehicle handled great.

Now to a couple of issues, we knew the cover on the back was not water proof, so I bought a small tarp to cover our luggage, it worked great until the last night and we didn’t think it was supposed to rain, so we didn’t cover our luggage, so you can guess how things were after a thunderstorm. Live and learn I guess. Final issue was a little shutter in the transmission when going from a low speed to a higher speed in the mountains, only happened 2 or 3 times on the whole trip, I will report it to my Hyundai dealer just in case.

I am going to get the oil changed after this trip, but what do you think about changing transmission fluid also? Of course this would be an out of pocket for the oil and transmission since it is not on their schedule.

Overall this was a great trip in the Santa Cruz, had a lot of people giving me a thumbs up for the vehicle and even some taking pictures as they pass me. Ours was the only Santa Cruz we seen on the whole trip.

Bill

·
Registered
61 Posts
Excellent info. Thank you for the post. I don't have the DC transmission so I have no input, but I am planning my initial oil change out of pocket around 3k also. I'll then ride the service scheduled until the included oil changes run out.

I'm finding my cover is pretty much, as they say, rain "resistant".

MJ

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
221 Posts
I really wouldn't worry about the oil change if I were you. They use either full synthetic or synthetic blend for these engines and they can go many miles without losing lubricity.

And highway miles are the easiest on engines anyway, so that's not an issue.

Thanks for the report.

BTW, I'm going on a 2500-mile trip in a week or so, and I expect about the same mileage as you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
View attachment 3237

Took a trip from Illinois to Maine & Vermont. The Santa Cruz limited was joy to drive. It was very comfortable for a 10 hour day driving. All of the extra features worked great. I liked the lane assist and the collision avoidance system. I kept forgetting when I had it on cruise and it wouldn’t catch up with a car in front of me. I had it set for 4 car lengths. For me it had all of the power I would need to manage the mountains we went through. Gas mpg was from 25 to 30 mpg on the trip with an average of 27.4. I know some members believe in the old school way of measuring mpg, but for me this is just fine. On the miles left before empty it would change based on the current mpg, so this was working for me. Cooling seats were nice also. I found for my use Apple CarPlay and google maps worked the best. We also had AAA trip tik, they matched up very good, except for a couple of exit numbers, but we did good. So overall the vehicle handled great.

Now to a couple of issues, we knew the cover on the back was not water proof, so I bought a small tarp to cover our luggage, it worked great until the last night and we didn’t think it was supposed to rain, so we didn’t cover our luggage, so you can guess how things were after a thunderstorm. Live and learn I guess. Final issue was a little shutter in the transmission when going from a low speed to a higher speed in the mountains, only happened 2 or 3 times on the whole trip, I will report it to my Hyundai dealer just in case.

I am going to get the oil changed after this trip, but what do you think about changing transmission fluid also? Of course this would be an out of pocket for the oil and transmission since it is not on their schedule.

Overall this was a great trip in the Santa Cruz, had a lot of people giving me a thumbs up for the vehicle and even some taking pictures as they pass me. Ours was the only Santa Cruz we seen on the whole trip.

Bill
I spent all day on Friday driving up between NH seacoast and Burlington looking for ya! I hope you enjoyed the foliage, it is truly peak season. Probably keeping anything I want to keep dry in the back seat or brunk. Glad your trip went well and mileage sounds good too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I spent all day on Friday driving up between NH seacoast and Burlington looking for ya! I hope you enjoyed the foliage, it is truly peak season. Probably keeping anything I want to keep dry in the back seat or brunk. Glad your trip went well and mileage sounds good too.
We made it back home in Illinois on Friday, sorry we missed you!!!!! Just a little info, gas prices were from 2.99 to 3.45, the 3.45 was when we got back home. Used 87 octane all the way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought a small tarp to cover our luggage, it worked great until the last night
I’m curious— did the tarp over the top keep the bottom of the luggage dry?

Or did water run in from the sides and get the bottom wet?

Wondering if we need to raise and cover things that can’t get wet or if the water leaks mostly from the top and covering is enough.

Thank

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
221 Posts

Wondering if we need to raise and cover things that can’t get wet or if the water leaks mostly from the top and covering is enough.

Thank
In mine, the water leaks in through the top front corners and around the top of the tailgate.

The bed has channels built in that should allow water to run off without affecting cargo, but they're not raised enough to protect in a real deluge (if that would ever happen inside the tonneau). If you expect a real prolonged downpour, it might not hurt to lay down some slats of wood (1x2's or 2x4's) to raise the cargo up and allow water to run off under it better.

I can't say from experience, but it looks to me like just using a light tarp to protect from drips would be adequate in 99% of cases.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
486 Posts
I really wouldn't worry about the oil change if I were you. They use either full synthetic or synthetic blend for these engines and they can go many miles without losing lubricity.

And highway miles are the easiest on engines anyway, so that's not an issue.

Thanks for the report.

BTW, I'm going on a 2500-mile trip in a week or so, and I expect about the same mileage as you.
Synthetic blend is less than 30% synthetic oil, so don't bother even buying it. Use the good stuff.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thank

Thank
It helped when I used it right, the last night didn't think it was going to rain so we didn't spread it out like we should. So guess what a thunderstorm and the next morning things were wet. I bought the bed mat which has groves in it, so any water would run into the groves so that helped also. So if I did it right it would of been a big help.
Bill

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
221 Posts
Synthetic blend is less than 30% synthetic oil, so don't bother even buying it. Use the good stuff.
My 2.5t engine calls for 0W-30 SN PLUS/SP or ILSAC GF-6, per the manual.

Full synthetic or synthetic blend? (The all-knowing internet didn't seem to clarify that.)

My turbo Kia's apparently called for synthetic blend (or so the service dude told me), but maybe Hyundai has upped the game on oils (?)

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
221 Posts
By the way, I remember well when I switched from regular oil to Honda's synthetic blend (Hondoil?) in my Gold Wing several years ago. Had to dial the idle down by 50rpm because the stuff was so slippery it made the engine idle higher.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
680 Posts

Full synthetic or synthetic blend? (The all-knowing internet didn't seem to clarify that.)

My turbo Kia's apparently called for synthetic blend (or so the service dude told me), but maybe Hyundai has upped the game on oils (?)
0w-30 is synthetic only, no mineral oil can achieve that property, thus doesn't exist synthetic blend

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
486 Posts

I would never use Dino oil in a turbo engine no matter what the service dude told me. He is trying to save you some money, but not your engine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nice, another Illinois Santa Cruz.

I’ve felt shutter in mine too, maybe 2-3 times over the last 1500 miles. Took mine to shipshewana the first weekend I had it and everyone was asking about it, it does get a lot of attention when people are confused asking who makes that? 😂🤣

View attachment 3237

Bill

1 - 15 of 15 Posts