·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle Info:
2022 Limited Blue Stone
Built date: 07/30/2021
Odometer reading when unloaded from car hauler: 16 (this is before the dealership tech perform the road test as part of the pre delivery inspection)
Odometer reading after PDI: 24

16 miles fresh off the truck is pretty high, that means someone in Alabama took it for a test drive, and I guess that's okay as they only randomly select units to test drive at factory and mine was unlucky that I don't know strict they follow the break-in procedure during the test drive, or lucky that they test drove it and the DCT didn't crap out on them in Alabama.

Vehicle usage:
In the 3000 miles driven, only about 600 were highway. The rest was city stop and go and frequent short trips. I consider this severe/harsh usage as there were more engine heat and cool cycles and transmission shifted way more often than avg.

In the first 1500 miles, only 92 octane fuel was used.
and the following 500 miles, I weened it off of 92 and gave it 89, and then 87 there after.

Every fuel up, I added 1 bottle of upper cylinder lubricant, that claims to clean injectors and fight ethanol corrosion.

Below is the summary of the 3000 miles.

Failures:
  1. bad connection in the brake lights, as described here, happened at about 200 miles, but I believe it is bad from the factory. I blame wiring harness parts supplier or whoever assembled that of mine.
  2. window locking functionality not working. It worked for the first few weeks, but lately during which 1 passenger opened the window to my surprise and then I discovered the lock window doesn't work. It's not a feature I will miss so I won't get it fixed and risk dealer opening up the doors and potentially something else breaks.
  3. front wheel wells liner missing a few fasteners.
DCT:
this seems to be the most controversial component, after 3000 miles, I don't think it shifts any better than what I can noticed since day 1. My experience is that the DCT shifts very smooth, especially the down shifts compared to traditional AT, which doesn't rev match and you would feel a jolt. In lower gears and lower speed, the clutch pads makes clicking, grinding noise from day 1, and it's not getting better or worse so I just write it off as normal.
I mentioned something about DCT hesitated to take off and stutter. That was during the break-in period I was driving it gently. After 2000 miles, once I started applying my "lead foot", it behaves great and no hesitation.

Conclusion: from the first 3000 miles, all the problems I have encountered were pretty minor. However, compare to my other Toyotas, my particular SC isn't as well built as those (I didn't experience any of those issues in the Toyotas). I will continue monitor and care for my SC, so far the problems are tolerable.

Some of you guys on the forum experienced way worse problems, I'm sorry that happened.
It must be disheartening and frustration to have your brand new vehicle and immediately it's out of commission. I appreciate that you all post the problem and Hyundai's solution, or the lack of it. We are made more aware of things to look out for, and when more of us report back and Hyundai take notice, TSB or recalls can be initiated if those problems affect certain batch or the whole recurring production.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Thanks for the detailed report.

Have you owned a manual transmission before? Is the DCT comparable more towards a standard clutch then a torque converter based automatic?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Thanks for the detailed report.

Have you owned a manual transmission before? Is the DCT comparable more towards a standard clutch then a torque converter based automatic?
I’ve driven stick most of my life, still have one, 2017 Honda hatchback, which wife drives most of the time.
currently have DCT in my Veloster Turbo (which my daughter drives most of the time)
I’d say, it’s somewhere in the middle.
when driving normally, it feels every bit an automatic (unless you stopped on a hill)
when floored, you feel the shifts and can get thrown back a bit… the shifts ate much quicker than any manuals I’ve driven. The paddle work great, at least on my Veloster.

DCT (dry 7speed) in 1st, at crawl speed is clunky and don’t advise as you can over heat and damage the clutch.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I've owned a few manual transmission before. The general driving sensation is definitely more comparable to an automatic transmission due to the lack of having to shift with a foot operated clutch.
Some quirks with SC's DCT:
  • at idle speed, shifter in D, letting go off the brake and let the vehicle crawl, you can notice that the idle RPM is higher. Probably that's to make sure slipping the clutch at higher RPM won't likely to stall the vehicle. In a torque converter AT vehicle, I don't remember this behavior probably because you can't really stall a torque converter?
  • while coasting, SC's DCT doesn't upshift that often, and the RPM stays in appropriate range depends on your drive mode. You can tell the DCT is in gear, not like torque converter AT that you aren't sure exactly what it's doing.
  • as I mentioned, at launch or stopping, during which DCT no longer can stay in gear and needs to slip the clutch, there's faint but audible clutch operation noises. This is similar to a manual transmission, you can hear clunking noise when you clutch in and out and shift gears. In contrast, torque converter AT should be very quiet.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Conclusion: from the first 3000 miles, all the problems I have encountered were pretty minor. However, compare to my other Toyotas, my particular SC isn't as well built as those (I didn't experience any of those issues in the Toyotas). I will continue monitor and care for my SC, so far the problems are tolerable.
good to know and appreciate your detailed experience.
My daily driver is a Toyota Rav4 (which the office leases for me), its been about 2years with absolutely no issues, and cause it’s not my personal car, I’m pretty harsh on the engin, transmission and suspension.
ive always been a Honda guy and owned just about all the models available at sometime in the past 30 years, with-no major issues.

my current 2019 Veloster had the DCT replaced under warranty after 60,000km… I was pretty hard on the DCT… aside from that, no issues at all…lol… 🤪

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Good info! I've driven my brother's Porsche with the PDK (one of the best DCT on the market) but that was on track so I didn't spend much time in idle or 1st gear ;) I like that firm in-gear feel you get from a manual and hate the mushy shifts you get with a torque converter. My only DCT concern is slow reversing with my trailer and crawling up slippery boat ramps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.