Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Summary: I did it while the vehicle is on a lift to keep level for fluid level consistency. Tools needed as follows:
  • 24mm think wall deep socket for many drain and fill plugs
  • 17mm socket just for DCT gear oil fill plug
  • a hex socket (size unknown) for transfer case fill plug
  • swivel socket adaptor and extensions (some of the plugs are really hard to get to)
  • pump of your choice, and measuring cups enough to hold about a gallon
Fluids: I chose to stick with OEM fluids
Washer parts numbers if you want to use OE ones: 45323-39000, 53072-4G100, 17511-16000, 21513-23001

I've been watching those oil leak threads and finally got a chance to open up the engine bay cover, luckily bone-dry everywhere

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Bicycle part Tool

in the center of the cover there's a twist on knob to kinda hang the cover in place while you screw the rest of the bolts, very convenient desgin

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering Auto part

this is what it looks like without the cover
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

the DCT and transfer case were extremely hot even after sitting for 1 hour, so I decided to start with rear diff

rear diff drain and fill is way to easy to identify, just 2 big black painted bolts with copper washers

here is the rear diff drain plug after 4200 miles
Eye Coin Money handling Currency Money

honestly it's not bad, but for some odd reason the OEM decided to use thread locker on this plug, and I had to use a breaker bar to break it loose, beware
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Hood

letting the rear diff fluid drain, and a fun fact: the DCT AWD has a coupling mechanism between the propeller shaft and the rear diff, the coupling mechanism is hydraulic fluid controlled, but the unit is sealed and fluid is good for the life of the vehicle, so no need to worry about that. That coupling mechanism is controlled by the computer to allow power to be sent or cut off to the rear differential.

I torqued the drain plug back with new copper washer to 40 lb ft, and after filling the fill plug to the max overflowing, I torqued the filler to 35 lb ft with new washer.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Vehicle Automotive fuel system

On to the transfer case

this is the drain plug, it got way more metal deposit captured by the magnet tip than the rear diff one captured, which kinda makes sense since the propeller shaft and transfer case spin fully time even in front wheel drive mode, more wear is expected than rear diff
Coin Currency Money Nickel Automotive wheel system

after cleaning it up

Automotive tire Coin Nickel Money Currency

process is the same, drain and fill, no surprise.

Now onto the DCT gear oil.

Here is what it drained

only from about 4000 miles of mainly stop and go traffic driving
Tableware Drinkware Cup Coffee Dandelion coffee

Fluid Gas Audio equipment Cylinder Font

about 3 qt drained

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Drinkware Liquid Cup Tableware Solution

new fluid vs old
Liquid Fluid Drink Plant Cylinder

I know that the DCT gear oil has a oil filter, but I didn't expect it to be so black after just 4000 miles

The DCT gear oil drain plug didn't capture any metal deposit, probably because it's not magnetic.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Vehicle

procedurally, the only difference for the DCT gear oil is that you want to add exactly 3 qts, not more not less, just as much as you drained to be on the safe side. and the filler plug is strangely 17mm and hard to get
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Alloy wheel

Despite the fluid being so black, I think it might still be okay to continue use.

However, it doesn't cost me much to change it, I rather have the gear oil look like Stella Artois, and not like Jagermeister

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
436 Posts
Despite the fluid being so black, I think it might still be okay to continue use.

However, it doesn't cost me much to change it, I rather have the gear oil look like Stella Artois, and not like Jagermeister
Is it possible the fluid they used at the factory was not the light color or your new fluid? That black is concerning as that stuff is not subject to combustion. I realize there is a lot of heat but ****...

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Awesome write up, great documentation I am bookmarking this thread for sure (y)

Intresting that DCT fluid was that dark, but as you said this might be an expected result. Does the transmission feel or shift any differently after the change?

·
Registered
2022 SEL Premium / Preferred Trend
94 Posts
I don’t know cars. That’s why I read every single post on here— to learn about this trucklet I love so much. I won’t be changing my own oil, much less fluids, but I still read this post to learn.

I, too, wonder why it’s so dang dark, if it’s fine, or if I should go request it be changed when the time comes, contrary to the manual.

But that’s not what had me losing sleep last night. It’s this:

new fluid vs old
View attachment 4061

procedurally, the only difference for the DCT gear oil is that you want to add exactly 3 qts, not more not less, just as much as you drained to be on the safe side.

What kept me awake last night was wondering whether soldthetaco realized he took out 96 oz and put in 64!

Yes, yes, I know. That was just for the photo and he added the other quart later. But I am worried all the same!
:)

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent post. The colour difference in the DCT, I wasn’t expecting given your mileage.
yeah, my next drain of all the fluid will be around 30k miles (half of the service manual's suggesting because I drive in severe conditions, I'll compare all the colors difference in all fluids

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is it possible the fluid they used at the factory was not the light color or your new fluid? That black is concerning as that stuff is not subject to combustion. I realize there is a lot of heat but ****...
it's possible, but what I found was that the DCT gear oil and transfer case fluid were VERY hot, I was able to touch the engine oil pan with my fingers and it was just warm but I couldn't stand even twisting the bolts of the DCT. So, high heat = cooking the oil and turn it dark?

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome write up, great documentation I am bookmarking this thread for sure (y)

Intresting that DCT fluid was that dark, but as you said this might be an expected result. Does the transmission feel or shift any differently after the change?
It drives exactly like before, so that's why I guess the DCT gear oil was still okay if no performance change noticeable.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don’t know cars. That’s why I read every single post on here— to learn about this trucklet I love so much. I won’t be changing my own oil, much less fluids, but I still read this post to learn.

I, too, wonder why it’s so dang dark, if it’s fine, or if I should go request it be changed when the time comes, contrary to the manual.

But that’s not what had me losing sleep last night. It’s this:

What kept me awake last night was wondering whether soldthetaco realized he took out 96 oz and put in 64!

Yes, yes, I know. That was just for the photo and he added the other quart later. But I am worried all the same!
:)
haha, I was going to use a hand pump to suck the fluid from the 2 qt cup, but it was very awkward, so I just used a bottle cap style hand pump and pumped 3 bottles of 1 qt directly in it and call it good, and the 2 qts I poured into the cup ended up just for photo

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why did you decide to change the fluids so soon?
  • To confirm if the fluid levels were filled correctly from factory. I drained 3 qts of the DCT gear oil, that's slightly more than the suggested value, but I think it's okay because I might have drained the break-in deposits too that were absorbed by the fluid adding more volume. Also I talked to other mechanics in the shop, they pretty much agree that it's not rocket science with these drain and fill. As long as you're not grossly under filling or over filling by the magnitude of a qt, it should be okay.
    Font Line Rectangle Writing Number
  • To get rid of break-in process deposits. The most wear gears experience is during the break-in period. My personal belief is that it should be changed to reduce wear and prolong the life of those parts. The manufacturers don't specify that I think because if they make it into a required or recommended service item, many consumers will feel their vehicle maintenance cost is high. To give an impression of cheap maintenance, OEM tend to make the maintenance schedule less rigorous. I absolutely believe that not changing the fluids at all, the vehicle should be able to make it pass 100k 10 years warranty period, it's the next 100k miles that ****s going to happen, but by then its out of warranty and the manufacturer is off the hook so even less incentive for them to encourage break-in fluid change.

·
Registered
Black Limited
339 Posts
Great writeup... as usual! You are the man!!!!
Funny, can't help but wonder why they used magnets on some drain plugs but not others (like engine oil)??? Seems kinda strange to me. You mentioned a filter. Do you clean or change it or is it just a screen?

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great writeup... as usual! You are the man!!!!
Funny, can't help but wonder why they used magnets on some drain plugs but not others (like engine oil)??? Seems kinda strange to me. You mentioned a filter. Do you clean or change it or is it just a screen?
I didn't see it, nor change the filter.
Product Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot

I only know from this diagram of the gear oil flow illustration that there EXISTS a filter for the DCT gear oil, but nothing indicates its serviceable so more reason to change fluid so that the filter doesn't get too clogged.

Transfer case and rear diff are just enclosed fluid systems with no filter, and I think that's why they put magnet drain plugs there, while the DCT gear oil has a filter so probably they figured no need for magnet there, same with engine oil drain plug.

·
Registered
Limited
320 Posts
One reason the fluid looks dark could be because it is a wet clutch. I could see the clutch friction material mixing in the fluid making it look dark.

I know brake fluid gets moisture in it. The heat from the braking system can flash boil the fluid and darken it's color. So maybe a combination of both of these things are happening with the DTC fluid?

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One reason the fluid looks dark could be because it is a wet clutch. I could see the clutch friction material mixing in the fluid making it look dark.

I know brake fluid gets moisture in it. The heat from the braking system can flash boil the fluid and darken it's color. So maybe a combination of both of these things are happening with the DTC fluid?
clutch material makes sense, I just realized that this fluid does so many jobs.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
1,840 Posts
clutch material makes sense, I just realized that this fluid does so many jobs.
That was my first thought. The clutch wear has to go somewhere, but you'd think the filter would catch it even at the microscopic level. Hard to believe the filter would not be serviceable in a clutch wear lubricant situation.

·
Registered
Black Limited
339 Posts
That was my first thought. The clutch wear has to go somewhere, but you'd think the filter would catch it even at the microscopic level. Hard to believe the filter would not be serviceable in a clutch wear lubricant situation.
Yeah, even my poor old 2003 Subaru Baja has a spin on oil filter for the tranny! Then again it has a spin on oil filter too and not an antique canister type like my brand new 2022 SC has.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts