Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just crossed the 5,000 mile mark with my SEL AWD w/Activity Package. With that in mind, our other vehicle is a similarly priced Mazda CX9. Price paid: MSRP 33,500 ishUSD

I do realize this may rile some of you up, but I really do love this form factor and want it to advance forward. There are also many things I like about the vehicle. I'd also like to hear what some of youre opinions are -

1. Base engine performance vs efficiently is plain pathetic. It's simply under powered for the weight its pushing around. I know, I know its not a race car.. but aside from the Tucson... youd be hard pressed to find another vehicle that isnt an absolute **** box that is slower. Now, if it had great fuel economy this would be somewhat forgivable, but I'm sad to say that isn't the case. My combined economy and many others is 22mpg. If you drive in the city and touch the accelerator you are not going to get close to the stated numbers. If you cruz around open roads at 45mph I'm sure youre getting great mileage.

2. Door trim is already peeling... I've done nothing but baby this thing.. enough said.

3. The tonneau cover latch has already broken on mine, still waiting several weeks for a repair. All the moving parts are plastic, theres even plastic on metal...This will be a common failure that people are going to have to replace, not under warranty eventually. Cheap.

4. Base audio system is not good. People complain about WRXs audio being bad, this is equivalent. No low end, harsh highs. It's fine for podcasts and talk radio.

5. No radar cruise control on anything but the top trim is a miss... Other brands are including this with their base models.. If you have driven in any amount of traffic with this feature, you'd know why is such a big hole in the feature offering. This isnt a $20,000 economy sedan competing with Mitsubishis... come on Hyundai.

6. Wildcard and speculation - I'm still not sold on the long term reliability of Hyundai engines yet, esp the naturally aspirated, high compression smartstream engine. There are reports out of Korea this engine is already showing the same failures, even sooner from the Theta engines with oil consumption and carbon build up. Hyundai also inexplicably increased the oil capacity to of the engine to help combat this. This could also just be conjecture, but the stance with Hyundai should be prove it at this point.

Now with that said the form factor is great and is intelligently designed to be as practical as possible, the ride feels nice and planted, the tech is pretty good. In a world were people are paying MSRP for 5 year old vehicles with 65k miles on them I feel pretty lucky to be driving the SC around every day.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE NA-FWD In Idaho
1,115 Posts
I'm very happy with the Performance and MPG from this Home Depot hauler... It's plenty fast for a daily work horse.. People are fast to forget that 191 horse power in a 3800lb car was pretty standard in the 80's 90's and early 2000's..
Most of us bought this because we wanted something that could haul stuff...get decent mpg over most other trucks and have a suv type of ride... 7.9-8.0 0-60 is fine for what we wanted and as I said before who drives in traffic with you foot to the floor.
I guess we all have different idea's of what we wanted...The SC fit's my plan perfectly
PS I see 28-30mpg in my short daily drives... My all time avg. since I bought it and after 5800miles is 24.3mpg and this is 95% city light to light... Now if I had my foot in it daily I'm sure this would be more like 18-20mpg

·
Registered
2004, Ram 2500, cummins turbo
40 Posts
I hear you CASD, I'm a retired Operating Engineer, I've run heavy equipment most of my life 0-60 means nothing to me! I maintain my motors impeccably, I'm super happy putzing around. Teck stuff, **** I turn my cell phone on once a week to delete spam and shut it off and put it in the junk drawer in the kitchen. Audio, if I get my local classic rock station, I'm super happy, mpg, I don't have a work commute, I get chicken and dog food every couple weeks, go down to the river on my boat, I put $20 a week in the tank once in a while, even at today's prices, I'm super exited to pick up my new sc tomorrow! Yeah baby

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Despite my criticism I do believe you'll love it.

And I get that in the 80s, 90s, and 00s those were good numbers. Unfortunately the Cruz competes with its contemporaries. If they want to continue to compete I think they'll need to either beef up the base numbers a little or come down on price. Otherwise when the Mav starts seeing inventory, it's going to eat the market.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Some of the items can be chalked up to - you should have done your research and if any of those were deal breakers, you shouldn’t have purchased the Santa Cruz.
Couple warranty issues - no big deal…
Smartstream - reliability remains to be seen. This is my second Hyundai, traded another for SC, I have no issues dropping Hyundai if any of this becomes and issue - but I won’t make my judgement on an old YouTube video from early 2021 and no further follow up or additional details - would t give it a thought at this point. I did see the video. That K5 was almost new - mine has 22,000km with no issues.
There are plenty of base SUVs with similar hp numbers and acceleration.

Almost time for my third oil change, I know the SC inside and out now and perfectly happy with it.
Only issues right now, is that the dark chrome is peeling on the front grill and lower bumper - covered under warranty and awaiting parts ( o big deal, Hyundai isn’t the only one with part issues)

Despite my criticism I do believe you'll love it.

And I get that in the 80s, 90s, and 00s those were good numbers. Unfortunately the Cruz competes with its contemporaries. If they want to continue to compete I think they'll need to either beef up the base numbers a little or come down on price. Otherwise when the Mav starts seeing inventory, it's going to eat the market.
Maverick is suppose to out sell SC by a significant number - Unless Maverick is outselling SC by factor of 4 or 5, it won’t be a success In the long run. SC are being pumped out at a rate of +/- 3000 per month and selling just about everyone.

Maverick is Fords entry level vehicle now and I thinking the third or fourth cheapest passenger vehicle for sale in US of A

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
1,816 Posts
I have to laugh at this post. No disrespect meant, but this just shows how subjective vehicle power and features are.

1) As a NA slush-box auto SC owner, the power level is just fine for me; not under powered at all.
2) After 10+ months of ownership and over 8,000 miles I have absolutely zero door trim peeling. 🤷‍♂️ Not saying yours isn't peeling or that you abused it; but I can say mine is not peeling or showing wear of any kind.
3) Don't have a tonneau cover on mine, but I did get a recall to repair on the tonneau latch. Call your dealer and inquire about it.
4) Audio on mine is fine. I'm no sound technician or audio-phile, but I know the music sounds wonderful in mine to my ear.
5) Again, one persons dream is another persons "too close to self driving" nightmare. Well, not really a nightmare, but not something I'm losing any sleep over.
6) I took a chance on Hyundai for the very first time with the SC. Been waiting and wanting this vehicle since 2005; originally planned to have a different look and 2.0L Diesel engine with 4WD. The end result was still close enough to draw me in. That 10 year power terrain warranty is a big plus on buying a first year out vehicle, as well as, a brand I have no experience with. Only time will tell how reliability works out.

I can understand how someone else can have concerns/complaints about things that another may not. So much is subjective to the individual. As an example, I didn't want and don't like the WDCT auto transmission. I have serious concerns about its' reliability and don't like the odd pause when changing direction in the shifting progression. I've also owned turbo cars in the past and even though manufacturers always claim this "new model" doesn't have the old problems that come up so frequently with turbo's (lag, carbon, heat wear, etc...), the "new model" typical doesn't solve them. Only time will tell on those issues too.

Now if the SC had a NA V6 slush-box option, I'd been all over it regardless of mileage! I always weigh mileage against what else I'm gaining. My SC seems to be getting +/-1mpg of the window sticker, so I'm good with that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some of the items can be chalked up to - you should have done your research and if any of those were deal breakers, you shouldn’t have purchased the Santa Cruz.
I did, I still like the vehicle, these are simply criticisms. It's how you push things forward, things to improve.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL AWD
96 Posts
There are just 2 things I agree with your complaints on. The first one is the peeling on the door handle. That is simply inexcusable. I don't have the issue yet but based on what we are seeing I think virtually everybody will at some point who has an SE or SEL without the piano black trim on the inside door handle. Unless Hyundai addressed it mid production and later build dates (mine has a June 2022 build date) don't have the issue, it seems like it's just a matter of time. I don't care that it might be covered under warranty. I say might because I could see dealerships saying you did something to cause it and not cover it. Even if it is covered under warranty, unless Hyundai silently addressed the issue and fixed it somehow, it is likely to just happen again. This is the very kind of quality issue that caused Hyundai to have a horrible reputation 15+ years ago.

The second one I agree with is the lack of adaptive cruise control. This should be standard on a car today and in the Sonata lineup it was. I'd rather see them leave lane keep assist off and include adaptive cruise control. Same for LED headlights. I'm surprised companies even bother with halogen headlights today.

The power should have been a known item. I knew exactly what I was getting with the n/a 2.5 and don't expect it to be a barn burner. I'm still in the break in period for my engine but it has been fine so far. It's not ever gonna make me smile from ear to ear when I mash the go pedal but again, I don't expect it to.

It remains to be seen how reliability is going to turn out for the Maverick as well. Only time will tell for both the Maverick and the Santa Cruz over the next several years how they truly hold up in the long run.

I'm happy with my SEL Santa Cruz so far. It drives great, has a good ride, looks terrific, has a nice interior (sans the door handle issue people are having) and is extremely practical. Gas mileage so far has been fine for me. The computer says I'm right at the high 26 mpg range for mixed driving of around 60 % highway to 40% city and me trying to vary the speed on a regular basis due to still being in the break in period.

Reactions: Capo

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Couple warranty issues - no big deal…
Smartstream - reliability remains to be seen. This is my second Hyundai, traded another for SC, I have no issues dropping Hyundai if any of this becomes and issue - but I won’t make my judgement on an old YouTube video from early 2021 and no further follow up or additional details - would t give it a thought at this point. I did see the video. That K5 was almost new - mine has 22,000km with no issues.
There are plenty of base SUVs with similar hp numbers and acceleration.

Almost time for my third oil change, I know the SC inside and out now and perfectly happy with it.
Only issues right now, is that the dark chrome is peeling on the front grill and lower bumper - covered under warranty and awaiting parts ( o big deal, Hyundai isn’t the only one with part issues)

Maverick is suppose to out sell SC by a significant number - Unless Maverick is outselling SC by factor of 4 or 5, it won’t be a success In the long run. SC are being pumped out at a rate of +/- 3000 per month and selling just about everyone.

Maverick is Fords entry level vehicle now and I thinking the third or fourth cheapest passenger vehicle for sale in US of A
I did an oil change(valoline quick lube) at 2000 miles and I just did one(dealer) at 5800 they also updated the transmission programming with a supposedly fix for the hesitation,plus they did the 4000 mile checkup, My plan is to change the oil at my cost in between the freebie...So the next one is the 8000 mile freebie and than at my cost at 12,000 on and on until there is no more freebies and than I'll switch to Synthetic oil and do every 6000 miles

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I did an oil change(valoline quick lube) at 2000 miles and I just did one(dealer) at 5800 they also updated the transmission programming with a supposedly fix for the hesitation,plus they did the 4000 mile checkup, My plan is to change the oil at my cost in between the freebie...So the next one is the 8000 mile freebie and than at my cost at 12,000 on and on until there is no more freebies and than I'll switch to Synthetic oil and do every 6000 miles
Can’t go wrong with frequent oil changes, cheapest insurance for your car(SC) money can buy.
My Third (scheduled for Aug 13) should come at around 23,000km (7,600km or 4,760 miles average) Here in Canada, I’m use to following severe maintenance schedule anyway.

yes, I read (posted here as well) Technical Service Bulletin for N/A and transmission- didn’t see anything for turbo/DCT

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have to laugh at this post. No disrespect meant, but this just shows how subjective vehicle power and features are.

1) As a NA slush-box auto SC owner, the power level is just fine for me; not under powered at all.
2) After 10+ months of ownership and over 8,000 miles I have absolutely zero door trim peeling. 🤷‍♂️ Not saying yours isn't peeling or that you abused it; but I can say mine is not peeling or showing wear of any kind.
3) Don't have a tonneau cover on mine, but I did get a recall to repair on the tonneau latch. Call your dealer and inquire about it.
4) Audio on mine is fine. I'm no sound technician or audio-phile, but I know the music sounds wonderful in mine to my ear.
5) Again, one persons dream is another persons "too close to self driving" nightmare. Well, not really a nightmare, but not something I'm losing any sleep over.
6) I took a chance on Hyundai for the very first time with the SC. Been waiting and wanting this vehicle since 2005; originally planned to have a different look and 2.0L Diesel engine with 4WD. The end result was still close enough to draw me in. That 10 year power terrain warranty is a big plus on buying a first year out vehicle, as well as, a brand I have no experience with. Only time will tell how reliability works out.

I can understand how someone else can have concerns/complaints about things that another may not. So much is subjective to the individual. As an example, I didn't want and don't like the WDCT auto transmission. I have serious concerns about its' reliability and don't like the odd pause when changing direction in the shifting progression. I've also owned turbo cars in the past and even though manufacturers always claim this "new model" doesn't have the old problems that come up so frequently with turbo's (lag, carbon, heat wear, etc...), the "new model" typical doesn't solve them. Only time will tell on those issues too.

Now if the SC had a NA V6 slush-box option, I'd been all over it regardless of mileage! I always weigh mileage against what else I'm gaining. My SC seems to be getting +/-1mpg of the window sticker, so I'm good with that.
I agree with so much of what you said. This SC is our fourth Hyundai. The first was a 2012 Sonata I drove for ten years. We traded for newer Hyundais because our needs in a vehicle changed, not because of any defect in the vehicles.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Let's see 5000 mile criticism.....
:unsure:
Still thinking
:unsure:
I got nothing..They best I can do is the doors... opening them the handles sound cheap...

Now if you ask what would I have done different if I had a choice... I got something for that...
AWD
Maybe a SEL but still no thank you to the WDCT tranny

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello All.
Ah,,5000 plus miles. I fondly remember that time period. LOL. I have had my SC since Nov and I work 50 plus miles away from home so as of this writing I'm about 2 days away from taking it in for its 24000 mile oil change and check up. So yes for most of you I've already put about a year or more of millage onto my beautiful SC. So comments from a few more miles down the road for you guys...

1. No issues with anything flaking off. Maybe I've been lucky but all the various chrome, paint, plastics etc are all still right where they should be everywhere.

2. I HAVE noticed that the plastic interior parts are already showing pretty heave scuff marks/signs of wear. Areas by where your arm rides on the door, or where you rub against the center console don't seem to be holding up as well. Hopefully it doesn't get too bad and they use something nicer/stronger on the next model.

3. I have the SEL with Activity Package myself and I can't say I see any issues with the NA motor. Plenty of power and I spend 90% of my ride at highway speeds. Never have a problem passing even if I am doing 80 and I'm never in fear for my life getting on or off the highway/turnpike. Honestly I get modern cars are quicker than they were in the 80's 90's but some of you guys must drive foot to the floor 24 7 if this thing doesn't have enough power for day to day driving. If you said it was underpowered for hauling, towing heavy work maybe but....

4.Tonneu cover does get stuck on occasion or doesn't want to open. I've found I have to lock/unlock the handle once or twice and it frees up. Waiting for the day that doesn't work. Saw someone on here saying they have seen a recall on this I'll have to look into that.

5. Gas millage could for sure be better but at my mostly highway miles i AM still hitting 24mpg average. Not hybrid Maverick territory but it's ok. Here is praying that by the time I am ready to swap this one out they have the hybrid or all electric model Santa Cruz out and all these other issues have been fixed along the way. :)

6.I have had a period of 2 days with no AC. It went out no warning and nothing obviously wrong (relays checked, no fuse issues etc.). Then while waiting on my appointment it just came back on. Later tech's said they couldn't see anything and since it was working they had no way to track just bring it back when it happens again. Been months and hasn't been an issue since.
7. Probably the biggest problem...2 weeks after buying fuel pump died leaving me stranded. No issues since replacement but did leave me worried.

That's about it. Only thing else to say is that after 24000 plus miles I still love my Santa Cruz and find it funny how many people still stop and ask me about my truck or tell me how cool it is. I've had guys driving all kinds of vehicles from hot rods to high end lux cars want to know about her. Even had someone blowing the horn on the highway, making me think i accidently cut him off or something but rolling down the window he just wanted to yell "nice car do you like it?" lol.

I'll let you guys no if there are any more major issues and post for sure when she hits 100000.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I've just crossed the 5,000 mile mark with my SEL AWD w/Activity Package. With that in mind, our other vehicle is a similarly priced Mazda CX9. Price paid: MSRP 33,500 ishUSD

I do realize this may rile some of you up, but I really do love this form factor and want it to advance forward. There are also many things I like about the vehicle. I'd also like to hear what some of youre opinions are -

1. Base engine performance vs efficiently is plain pathetic. It's simply under powered for the weight its pushing around. I know, I know its not a race car.. but aside from the Tucson... youd be hard pressed to find another vehicle that isnt an absolute **** box that is slower. Now, if it had great fuel economy this would be somewhat forgivable, but I'm sad to say that isn't the case. My combined economy and many others is 22mpg. If you drive in the city and touch the accelerator you are not going to get close to the stated numbers. If you cruz around open roads at 45mph I'm sure youre getting great mileage.

2. Door trim is already peeling... I've done nothing but baby this thing.. enough said.

3. The tonneau cover latch has already broken on mine, still waiting several weeks for a repair. All the moving parts are plastic, theres even plastic on metal...This will be a common failure that people are going to have to replace, not under warranty eventually. Cheap.

4. Base audio system is not good. People complain about WRXs audio being bad, this is equivalent. No low end, harsh highs. It's fine for podcasts and talk radio.

5. No radar cruise control on anything but the top trim is a miss... Other brands are including this with their base models.. If you have driven in any amount of traffic with this feature, you'd know why is such a big hole in the feature offering. This isnt a $20,000 economy sedan competing with Mitsubishis... come on Hyundai.

6. Wildcard and speculation - I'm still not sold on the long term reliability of Hyundai engines yet, esp the naturally aspirated, high compression smartstream engine. There are reports out of Korea this engine is already showing the same failures, even sooner from the Theta engines with oil consumption and carbon build up. Hyundai also inexplicably increased the oil capacity to of the engine to help combat this. This could also just be conjecture, but the stance with Hyundai should be prove it at this point.

Now with that said the form factor is great and is intelligently designed to be as practical as possible, the ride feels nice and planted, the tech is pretty good. In a world were people are paying MSRP for 5 year old vehicles with 65k miles on them I feel pretty lucky to be driving the SC around every day.
I can't speak to every point but i agree w/ the lack of smart cruise. My wifes rav has it ( '17 xle ). I love it on trips. I can live w/ the stock sound system. But could use more bass. Tonneau Cover works well. The company producing it should take responsibility for flaws. Engine and trans so far so good. Fingers crossed both hands. I get decent mileage for living on and around hills. Mid 20's to low 30's, some times higher. The Trucklet likes warm and semi humid. Cold weather not so much.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
they also updated the transmission programming with a supposedly fix for the hesitation,
I'll be asking about this. Probably a big part of my complaint about the powertrain. Some times you press the gas, hear the noise, and nothing happens for a good 2 seconds, like bad turbo lag...on a non-turbo motor.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I'll be asking about this. Probably a big part of my complaint about the powertrain. Some times you press the gas, hear the noise, and nothing happens for a good 2 seconds, like bad turbo lag...on a non-turbo motor.
No noise on mine....it's more like a dead/flat spot ...to me it feels more like a engine system problem than transmission but I could be wrong due to my attention is trying to get it to go before I'm broadsided.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have experienced a lag like that on two cars. One was a 2012 Sonata. The other was a late-1990s GM car. Eventually, there was a software update, and both were like a different vehicle after the EPROM had been flashed with the update.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Base engine performance vs efficiently is plain pathetic. It's simply under powered for the weight its pushing around. I know, I know its not a race car.. but aside from the Tucson... youd be hard pressed to find another vehicle that isnt an absolute **** box that is slower. Now, if it had great fuel economy this would be somewhat forgivable, but I'm sad to say that isn't the case. My combined economy and many others is 22mpg. If you drive in the city and touch the accelerator you are not going to get close to the stated numbers. If you cruz around open roads at 45mph I'm sure youre getting great mileage.
I've pointed that out for a year now. No other car thats so slow gets low 20s.

The NA Cruz would have been an impressive vehicle in 2000 or before. Pretty much exactly what the baja was. 22 years later its just not. You have GDi, vvt, vvd, and an 8 speed and are getting 2000 fuel economy.

The turbo gives up nothing to the base engine. Id highly recommend it to anyone who asks. The vehicle is great. The base engine needs work.

7.9-8.0 0-60
8 seconds would make the NA Cruz one of the slowest vehicles sold in the USA in 2022 (and remember we have massive land yachts over here) . And that's a downhill 0-60. Ive seen it listed as 8.8-9.2 in all the reviews I've read. I highly doubt ours would beat 8.8.

One can buy a 2022 F150 supercrew and have 400 HP and get the same low 20s mileage and far faster. Even the base 300hp engine would be far faster and get even better mileage. Comparing a 2022 to a car 20 years older makes no sense. Look at the specs of a 2004 baja and compare to a 2022 Cruz. Its faster and just as efficient. 7.5 second 0-60. Mid 15s 1/4 mile and 24 mpg. Thats from a 4 speed automatic with variable cam timing on only the intake cam, port injection, etc etc. And subaru boxer engines are well known for having lackluster MPG. Any other company was getting closer to 30. The rav-4, Highlander, and HR-v get better...despite having 15 year old engine designs.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've pointed that out for a year now. No other car thats so slow gets low 20s.
I have the base NA engine, FWD, and 8-speed transmission. I consistently get 30 MPG or better. I keep the tire pressure up and I drive like they told us to drive for economy in the 1970s when the Arabs shut off the oil.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts