Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have the base NA engine, FWD, and 8-speed transmission. I consistently get 30 MPG or better. I keep the tire pressure up and I drive like they told us to drive for economy in the 1970s when the Arabs shut off the oil.

I'm glad someone does. Many of us on here get low 20s. Best ours has ever done was 27 on a flat 300 mile stretch of highway drafting behind another vehicle. My sisters is around 24 lifetime over roughly 10k miles as well. Both are AWD cars though

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm glad someone does. Many of us on here get low 20s. Best ours has ever done was 27 on a flat 300 mile stretch of highway drafting behind another vehicle. My sisters is around 24 lifetime over roughly 10k miles as well. Both are AWD cars though
I do not have crossbars on the roof. Those add air resistance, and that hurts mileage. I watch as far ahead as I can and adjust my speed according to what I anticipate. By anticipating, I can avoid using the brakes except for the last few seconds before a stop. Brakes dissipate energy you bought as gasoline and turns it into waste heat from which you get no benefit. I accelerate gradually. We recently drove from southern Kentucky toward Cincinnati, and west to Morton, Illinois. It was all 4-lane road. There were some hilly sections. I used cruise control some, but could not all of the time. In those 492 miles mileage calculated on paper, not by on board electronic approximation, was 33.7 MPG. Also, I have no tonneau.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Here is a list of cars that does 8sec. plus
Boy I'm Slow

That's 8 seconds. The Cruz is listed at 8.8-9.2 for awd. And very few cars on that list are after 2010. Lol. Filter by 8.8 seconds and post-2015ish and you may find a couple massive SUV and maybe a prius. And they probably all get over 24 mpg. Barn burners like the AWD highlander that every soccer mom drives has a 7 second 0-60. Lol. The far more capable cars like the camry get there in 5. And get 30+mpg

9 seconds to 60 and 18 seconds in the 1/4 is pretty unheard of today. That 4 seconds behind a megacab half ton. Lol. 4 seconds in the 1/4 is an eternity. The slowest supercrew F150 is the base 3.3 and its 0-60 is 7. The ecoboost and 5.0 are 5-6. And get right up there in the low 20s mpg.

The GM are faster but a but less mileage

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE NA-FWD In Idaho
1,115 Posts
That's 8 seconds. The Cruz is listed at 8.8-9.2. And very few cars on that list are after 2010. Lol. Filter by 8.8 seconds and post-2015ish and you may find a couple massive SUV and maybe a prius. And they probably all get over 24 mpg
The point was your wrong.....There are plenty of 8 plus sec cars made, even the new Subaru Wilderness....plenty of Toyotas..etc..,
But the other point was....
Who Cares?? the people who bought the NA know that it's not a fast truck and we are glad, We bought it for a daily driver that gets decent mpg and it does.
Maybe yours doesn't get what you expect for mpg because your trying to drive it likes it's 6 sec truck and it's not.. It's fun sporty little truck that has a purpose and racing ain't one of them..

·
Registered
377 Posts
The point was your wrong.....There are plenty of 8 plus sec cars made, even the new Subaru Wilderness....plenty of Toyotas..etc..,
But the other point was....
Who Cares?? the people who bought the NA know that it's not a fast truck and we are glad, We bought it for a daily driver that gets decent mpg and it does.
Maybe yours doesn't get what you expect for mpg because your trying to drive it likes it's 6 sec truck and it's not.. It's fun sporty little truck that has a purpose and racing ain't one of them..
No . The point is that that whole list is 80s and 90s vehicles. I said In 2022 its one of the slowest produced not slowest left on the road.

The outback wilderness is listed at 5.8-6.2. Thats faster than 8. The forrester wilderness is awd and 8.0 flat compared to the awd cruz at 8.8 thats almost a full second slower. And its listed at 25mpg city.

When you sort 2021 and newer there are exactly 3 cars produced and available in North america that are as slow in that database as the 8.8 second awd cruze. (And that's using the faster listed 8.8 time. There are none listed on the database you linked slower than the 9.2) . One is the Tucson version of the Cruz at 8.8. The other is 8.9 for the Lexus 200 ux. The other is a a 2022 Corolla also at 8.8

There are bound to be a few more not in the database but "point is" you have to search to find a slower 2022 or newer vehicle

Just for fun I went down to 2018-2022 and it did add a jeep renegade base and a tiguan sel...both at 8.9. So if you get a good launch you may best one of those.

I do like the database though. Pretty neat. I will save that. Great sort and search features..

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
1,816 Posts
Here is a list of cars that does 8sec. plus
Boy I'm Slow
"2020 Aurus Senat L700 (Bullet Proof Limo) 0-60 mph 8.9"

Nice to know next time I pull up next to one of these I can give him the "Let's race!" hand signal and know I've got him beat to 60mph. :ROFLMAO:

That said. In the real world my NA SEL AWD performs great and meets my needs just fine. :giggle:

I guess it really depends on how needy you are.

A bit long, but a fun watch...

·
Registered
377 Posts

Nice to know next time I pull up next to one of these I can give him the "Let's race!" hand signal and know I've got him beat to 60mph. :ROFLMAO:

That said. In the real world my NA SEL AWD performs great and meets my needs just fine. :giggle:

Go to filter and click available in North america. You can also choose a minimum and maximum year. It's actually a pretty good sort/ filter site. You could tie with a tuscon or corolla and possibly beat a Lexus 200 ux whatever that was. Otherwise pick on older cars I guess. Lol.

The data is limited though. I know there are bound to be eco cars that are slower. The prius is 11 seconds to 60. I never said the Cruz was THE slowest. I said one of the slowest PRODUCED TODAY. Lol. And probably the slowest that gets mid to low 20s mpg other than maybe a g- wagon or other massive suv. Even the mega cab 3500 Dualie is listed mid 8s.

·
Registered
33 Posts
2015 Acura ILX 2.0 Tech
0-60 mph 8.3 25 combined mpg
2016 Audi A3 Cabriolet 1.4 S-Line
0-60 mph 8.8 26 combined mpg
2020 Buick Encore GX Essence
0-60 mph 8.7 combined 30 mpg
2017 Buick Encore Sport Touring
0-60 mph 8.5 27 combined mpg
2019 Chevrolet Blazer LT
0-60 mph 8.1 24 combined mpg
2019 Chevrolet Equinox 1.5T AWD
0-60 mph 8.7 27 combined mpg
2018 Chevrolet Malibu LT Redline
0-60 mph 8.2 30mpg
2021 Chrysler Pacifica S Limited AWD
0-60 mph 8.3 22 combined mpg
2019 Fiat 500X Trekking Plus
2021 Ford Bronco First Edition
0-60 mph 8.0 20 combined mpg
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks
0-60 mph 8.6 25 combined mpg
2018 Honda Fit Sport (Manual)
0-60 mph 8.3 30 combined mpg
2022 Hyundai Tucson Limited AWD
0-60 mph 8.8 25 combined mpg
2016 Jaguar F-Pace 2.0D R-Sport
0-60 mph 8.4 23.2 combined mpg
2019 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk 4X4
0-60 mph 8.9 25 Combined mpg
2018 Jeep Compass Limited
0-60 mph 8.7 25 combined mpg
2022 Mitsubishi Outlander SEL S-AWC
0-60 mph 8.4 27 combined mpg

That's a lot of post 2015 cars that 8 second plus cars and plenty with about the same average mpg. Sure I cherry picked a bit off the list but really had a lot more to add if I wanted.
Not to mention that I personally haven't seen figures quoted as high as 9 anywhere. For the 2.5 liter NA every i've read places it between 7.8 and and with motor trend quoting it at "about 8 seconds". I haven't read everything naturally but I'd guess there is a little flexibility there.

By the way the list does include pretty much every Porsche made in the 80's being a plus 8 second car. I didn't add because so many are adamant that NEWER cars being so much better but it's kinda laughable. Cars that used to get rave reviews as sports cars but a modern truck that can keep up with them is just TOO SLOW. Old FIrebirds at 8 plus, Nissan 300zx's, Ford Crown Victoria police cars. I guess no one today would want a Ferrari Dino GTS since it cant preform to todays standards.

·
Registered
377 Posts
2015 Acura ILX 2.0 Tech
2016 Audi A3 Cabriolet 1.4 S-Line
0-60 mph 8.8 26 combined mpg
2020 Buick Encore GX Essence
0-60 mph 8.7 combined 30 mpg
2017 Buick Encore Sport Touring
0-60 mph 8.5 27 combined mpg
2019 Chevrolet Blazer LT
0-60 mph 8.1 24 combined mpg
2019 Chevrolet Equinox 1.5T AWD
0-60 mph 8.7 27 combined mpg
2018 Chevrolet Malibu LT Redline
0-60 mph 8.2 30mpg
2021 Chrysler Pacifica S Limited AWD
0-60 mph 8.3 22 combined mpg
2019 Fiat 500X Trekking Plus
2021 Ford Bronco First Edition
0-60 mph 8.0 20 combined mpg
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks
0-60 mph 8.6 25 combined mpg
2018 Honda Fit Sport (Manual)
0-60 mph 8.3 30 combined mpg
0-60 mph 8.8 25 combined mpg
2016 Jaguar F-Pace 2.0D R-Sport
0-60 mph 8.4 23.2 combined mpg
2019 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk 4X4
0-60 mph 8.9 25 Combined mpg
2018 Jeep Compass Limited
0-60 mph 8.7 25 combined mpg
2022 Mitsubishi Outlander SEL S-AWC
0-60 mph 8.4 27 combined mpg

That's a lot of post 2015 cars that 8 second plus cars and plenty with about the same average mpg. Sure I cherry picked a bit off the list but really had a lot more to add if I wanted.
Not to mention that I personally haven't seen figures quoted as high as 9 anywhere. For the 2.5 liter NA every i've read places it between 7.8 and and with motor trend quoting it at "about 8 seconds". I haven't read everything naturally but I'd guess there is a little flexibility there.

By the way the list does include pretty much every Porsche made in the 80's being a plus 8 second car. I didn't add because so many are adamant that NEWER cars being so much better but it's kinda laughable. Cars that used to get rave reviews as sports cars but a modern truck that can keep up with them is just TOO SLOW. Old FIrebirds at 8 plus, Nissan 300zx's, Ford Crown Victoria police cars. I guess no one today would want a Ferrari Dino GTS since it cant preform to todays standards.

The awd cruz is listed at 8.8. Not 8 flat. Only 1 car on your list is over 8.8. Car and driver said 8.8. Mycarspecs listed 9.2. No two runs will be the same. Especially in an awd car. Id guess 8.8 is pretty close for your average awd NA.

And the argument was "produced today". Yes it would have been quick 20 years ago.

Car and driver tested the tuscon which weighs 3700 lb at 8.8. The Cruz weighs more with the same engine and gearing

Most everyone has actually tested the turbo. Everything from 6.0 for the fwd-6.8 awd times. No way the car gives up 100 HP and a standard torque converter trans and only loses 1.2 seconds

·
Registered
33 Posts
0-60 mph 8.8
2015 Jeep Renegade 1.4 Latitude 4X4
0-60 mph 8.9
2016 Jeep Renegade 2.4 Latitude 4X4
0-60 mph 8.8
2017 Kia Sportage EX AWD
0-60 mph 8.8
2021 Lexus UX 200 F-Sport
0-60 mph 8.9
2016 Scion iA (Manual)
0-60 mph 8.9
2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited PZEV
0-60 mph 8.8
2015 Toyota Yaris SE Hatchback (Manual)
0-60 mph 8.9
2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL
0-60 mph 8.9

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's really kinda splitting hairs. At this point if you are focusing on the slowest possible combination the SC comes in you could keep going to prove your point. You could just as easy reply that the Santa Cruz NA 2.5 all wheel drive that comes in stone blue is the slowest car on Orange Ave in Orlando Florida at 5pm on Saturday august 13th.

You can always keep adding conditions. I'm just saying that IT's NOT THAT BAD. Yes I bought the SEL with the Activity Package. SEL Premium wasn't available and I didn't want a Limited. But settling wasn't that bad. Turbo is quicker. No questions asked. Plenty of other cars on the road can outrun me. No doubt. But i never feel like i'm not able to go FAST ENOUGH. I get into and out of traffic safely. I have hauled several hundred pounds and had no issues. And there are still plenty of cars and trucks that can't keep up with me if I push it on the road today.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It's really kinda splitting hairs. At this point if you are focusing on the slowest possible combination the SC comes in you could keep going to prove your point. You could just as easy reply that the Santa Cruz NA 2.5 all wheel drive that comes in stone blue is the slowest car on Orange Ave in Orlando Florida at 5pm on Saturday august 13th.

You can always keep adding conditions. I'm just saying that IT's NOT THAT BAD. Yes I bought the SEL with the Activity Package. SEL Premium wasn't available and I didn't want a Limited. But settling wasn't that bad. Turbo is quicker. No questions asked. Plenty of other cars on the road can outrun me. No doubt. But i never feel like i'm not able to go FAST ENOUGH. I get into and out of traffic safely. I have hauled several hundred pounds and had no issues. And there are still plenty of cars and trucks that can't keep up with me if I push it on the road today.

One car on your list is made today (or at least 2021) and is as slow. And yes its plenty fast to not die. A smart ran 14 seconds to 60. Prius are that slow.

Doesn't change the fact that there are very few cars MADE TODAY that are as slow or slower.

And I didn't cherry pick. Not like saying a super crew king ranch with the 3.3 and the 800 lb moon roof with the 7.5 kw inverter generator...... the Cruz has only 2 engine and 2 drive train.. so minimum would be 25% probability that they are the base engine and awd. The f150 has 6 engine and 11 grills. Untelling how many gear ratio and curb weights..the Cruz just doesn't custom tailor that way. Not that I've looked at the sales numbers. Ive personally never seen a fwd. The discussion was the base engine. Most ive seen were awd. Mine is. My sisters is as well. Id recommend the turbo cruz to anyone. Acceptable power and the same mpg....the car itself is a fine car.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
“Slow” is a relative term. I commute with the company’s 2020 Toyota CH-R, sometimes - 0-60 is 10.5 seconds.My regular commuter is a RAV4 Hybrid, suppose to be 7.4s (NA RAV4 is 8s plus)

They both function as expected. not once had I wished i could do a sub 6s 0-60 in my commute.

As for fuel economy, a lot of SUVs are equipped with CVT or eCVT in my RAV4
The advantage is with the CVT infinite gear ratio, I can cruise between 40km/h to 80km/h with the RPM at a steady 1,100rpm - unfortunately with fixed gear ratios you’re not gonna get that. Personally, I’d take a slush box over a CVT

·
Registered
377 Posts
“Slow” is a relative term. I commute with the company’s 2020 Toyota CH-R, sometimes - 0-60 is 10.5 seconds.My regular commuter is a RAV4 Hybrid, suppose to be 7.4s (NA RAV4 is 8s plus)

They both function as expected. not once had I wished i could do a sub 6s 0-60 in my commute.

As for fuel economy, a lot of SUVs are equipped with CVT or eCVT in my RAV4
The advantage is with the CVT infinite gear ratio, I can cruise between 40km/h to 80km/h with the RPM at a steady 1,100rpm - unfortunately with fixed gear ratios you’re not gonna get that. Personally, I’d take a slush box over a CVT
No doubt.
Id even take a dct over most companies cvt. Lol. Ive replaced too many whole units or step motors at least. The newer 8-10 speed trans are pretty dang solid. Smooth and never looking for a gear.

·
Registered
1 Posts

A bit long, but a fun watch...
What the 0-60 metric tells you is the full range of gear switches in the automatic transmission. What we use normally is almost never 0-60, it's more like 30-60 when using an on-ramp. Even in NJ, where I live, there are plenty of roads when one has to enter from a stop and reach fairly high speeds, but again, one cannot expect to turn and zoom up to 60 because of traffic. Once going at a good speed, passing is not an issue at all.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts