Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While the adhesive is still fresh I decided to get rid of the badge on the tail gate
It was super easy, just dental floss and finger picking the residue

here is how it looks

Now to the first break in oil change

I got it to 532 miles, and it's roughly 50% highway and 50% city

First let's check out the dipstick and get a baseline reading of engine oil

this is by far the best dipstick I've seen, braided metal and plastic tip

Kudos to Hyundai Alabama, the oil level was spot on from factory

I've had Toyotas from the factory slightly overfilled engine oil

Now since it's only an oil change let's go on ramps

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

these plastic covers are held on by fasteners, use a flat screw driver to pry it open and pull the pin to release it, very easy to figure out

loosen and remove the 2 bolts with 10 mm socket

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

after removing the covers, you'll see oil drain plug, torque spec 30 lbft 17mm socket to remove

oil filter housing takes a 27mm socket, and torque spec is 18 lbft

in the center of the housing, there's a plastic oil filter drain plug, 8mm HEX, hand tighten is good enough, I used the torque wrench it almost broke the HEX.

Let the 500-mile oil drain, it looked very good and fresh

While I wait, here is what the engine cover removed looks

Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive air manifold Vehicle

I'll be replacing the OE drain plug with aftermarket strong magnet drain plug

strong magnet tip

use 8MM HEX to loosen and remove the filter drain plug

let it drip for sometime so it won't gush out and make a mess, while I get the oil and filter ready

remove the oil housing and here is the 500-mile oil filter, just tiny bits of shiny stuff, nothing to worry about at all

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

yank the oil filter out, and remove the old o-ring, and put in the new one supplied in the oil filter kit

follow this when you put in the new o-ring

and then put the new filter in the housing and put it back on the vehicle. Torque everything good and you are done for now

next part is pretty must standard, pour 5.2 quarts (6.18 might be too much so I'll check multiple times) and then check for leaks, reinstall the plastic cover, and grab yourself a beer.

Final step is adjusting oil level, it requires some driving and then cool off the engine and check, if not full, add more, pretty straightforward.

Final adjusted amount: 6 quarts even to bring the level to full. Be aware that it was an inclined and very thorough drain, if you don't wait too long for it to drain or drain on a level surface 6 quarts might be too much, to be safe start with 5.2 quarts, which for me yielded a reading of 35% from L to F
Tools List:

• Flat-head screw driver
  • 10mm socket
  • 17mm socket
  • 27mm socket
  • 8mm HEX head
  • Torque wrench
  • socket extensions of various length

·
Registered
896 Posts
Awesome job and great write up, much appreciated for those of us that DYI (y) (y)

Any chance of getting the DCT fluid and diff / transfer case type documents as well?

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
247 Posts
Awesome job and great write up, much appreciated for those of us that DYI (y) (y)
Agree it was an awesome write up and the photos were great. It convinced me those days are over for me. I'm too old for it now (or lazy.) Does anyone need a good set of ramps?

·
Registered
896 Posts
It convinced me those days are over for me. I'm too old for it now (or lazy.)
Ironically I'm the opposite. As I've gotten older I started doing more and more of my own maintenance since my trust and patience for dealers and clueless techs has hit rock bottom. I found I was spending 20 mins at the 10 min oil change place but could actually do the task faster at home in my driveway. Plus now I know it was done right and there was no upsell of misc or unneeded services. Granted its not for everyone but I kind of enjoy getting hands on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
“And pour yourself a beer.” Clearly the most important step. In your professional opinion does the style of beer matter? I really don’t want to mess anything up. IPA? Kolsch (summer only)? Good Pilsner?

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How many miles will you go between changes with that synthetic oil?
my next change will be at 1.5k miles
and then 4k and every 4k I think, I want it to align with fuel additive injector cleaner schedule, which is every 4k miles treat 1 tank of gas
I forgot to do this one but I'll have the oil analysis done in the next couple of oil changes, it's definitely an overkill, the vast majority of people follow non-severe schedule and still drive 100k+ miles so 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Any chance of getting the DCT fluid and diff / transfer case type documents as well?
thanks, I'm still in the process of digesting that section of document, Hyundai doesn't make it easy

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
“And pour yourself a beer.” Clearly the most important step. In your professional opinion does the style of beer matter? I really don’t want to mess anything up. IPA? Kolsch (summer only)? Good Pilsner?
lol, as long as its not Belgian tripel we're good, you'll still need to be able to read dipstick afterwards, that 12% alc content gives me a buzz too fast

1 - 20 of 88 Posts