Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
A wrap might be a good way to go. I know they make chrome wrap but not sure about black chrome.
I was thinking tail light tint might be the perfect wrap. Or even tail light tint spray. I just know several on this forum have expressed that the dark chrome grille looks great but it only comes on the Limited.

All the pictures Hyundai used to promote this vehicle was of the Limited with the darker grille leading to disappointment over the normal silver / chrome grille on other models. I assume if the SC becomes popular enough the aftermarket will step in. However due to the distinctive DRLs the SC grille is a signature piece of its design so many want to keep the style... but just change up the color.

·
Registered
Black Limited
178 Posts
I was thinking tail light tint might be the perfect wrap. Or even tail light tint spray. I just know several on this forum have expressed that the dark chrome grille looks great but it only comes on the Limited.
I initially tried the Duplicolor smoke spray mask but it turned too cloudy for me. That's why I went the urethane black candy route instead since it''s clear as a bell, just darker. Attached is a before and after with duplicolor rattle can... I just peeled it off and started over. Last picture is the urethane black candy on the grill and emblem finished and used their flat black for the hood. Key to that stuff is LOTS of even coats or it will not peel off in one piece... and that's a real pain!

Attachments

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Does anyone know if the DCT has an oil filter?
I don't see any serviceable filter in the DCT repair manual, apart from DCT gear oil and DCT control oil, everything else is more like if it craps out on you, get a new DCT type of deal

·
Registered
Black Limited
178 Posts
I don't see any serviceable filter in the DCT repair manual, apart from DCT gear oil and DCT control oil, everything else is more like if it craps out on you, get a new DCT type of deal
Wanted to put FilterMags on the filters but this makes it kinda tough...

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Every little bit helps getting to get that ferrous metal out of circulation that really does the damage. Ever seen FilterMags?
I think so, big magnet that hugs the outside of the filter right?

·
Registered
Black Limited
178 Posts
I think so, big magnet that hugs the outside of the filter right?
Yep! It's amazing what they pickup. I have one on everything I own... well except this antiquated cartridge filter on my new Ltd. Guess I could add a few separate neodymium magnets to the outside of the canister if it's ferrous metal. HI saw this one drain plug that looked interesting...

UPDATE 09/02/'21: Mine just arrived today and will have to say the magnet is pretty strong. Comes with a aluminum crush washer. Unit is well machined and works as described. Will put a dab of never seize on the magnet's threads for good measure. Well worth the money and tiny bit of piece of mind.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Yep! It's amazing what they pickup. I have one on everything I own... well except this antiquated cartridge filter on my new Ltd. Guess I could add a few separate neodymium magnets to the outside of the canister if it's ferrous metal. HI saw this one drain plug that looked interesting...

this looks awesome, one of the problems with the permanent magnet tipped drain bolt is that I could never fully clean off the tip with magnetism always there.
This should solve that problem, thanks

·
Registered
Black Limited
178 Posts
this looks awesome, one of the problems with the permanent magnet tipped drain bolt is that I could never fully clean off the tip with magnetism always there.
Me too. My Harley's came with them (even though mine have FilterMags on them too) and they're a pain. I found another magnet seems to help pull off the stragglers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
View attachment 1834

after removing the covers, you'll see oil drain plug, torque spec 30 lbft 17mm socket to remove

View attachment 1835

oil filter housing takes a 27mm socket, and torque spec is 18 lbft

in the center of the housing, there's a plastic oil filter drain plug, 8mm HEX, hand tighten is good enough, I used the torque wrench it almost broke the HEX.

View attachment 1836

Let the 500-mile oil drain, it looked very good and fresh

While I wait, here is what the engine cover removed looks

View attachment 1837

View attachment 1838

I'll be replacing the OE drain plug with aftermarket strong magnet drain plug

View attachment 1839

strong magnet tip

View attachment 1840

use 8MM HEX to loosen and remove the filter drain plug

View attachment 1841

let it drip for sometime so it won't gush out and make a mess, while I get the oil and filter ready

View attachment 1842

View attachment 1843

remove the oil housing and here is the 500-mile oil filter, just tiny bits of shiny stuff, nothing to worry about at all

·
Registered
Black Limited
178 Posts
Say, did you notice when you changed oil if the filter housing itself is ferrous metal or aluminum?

·
Registered
Black Limited
178 Posts
Just did my first oil change on my limited at 750 miles. Did notice some fine particles in the oil filter housing when I cleaned it up so I’m glad I did it. The oil filter from Hyundai is a kit that has a new oil drain plug crush washer, big O ring for the housing and even a new oil filter housing drain plug.
One thing I did learn is pop the dipstick a bit or at least loosen the oil filler cap. If you don’t, about halfway through draining the oil it will splatter due to the vacuum in the crankcase and will splash all over like a mini fountain! I found out the hard way, and as soon as I popped the dipstick it stopped. Thank goodness I had a giant cookie sheet that’s made just for draining oil to catch splatters.
Also another thing I learned is never wear your watch when you change your oil. I sincerely doubt my watch will ever rust from this day forward!

·
Registered
Black Limited
178 Posts
it's plastic
Did you notice the plastic oil filter drain plug has a nice hole right in the middle of it? Thought about gluing a magnet into it, but was a bit leary of the depth with that wierd flange where the filter slides on to in the cap itself and that the plug actually screws into.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Did you notice the plastic oil filter drain plug has a nice hole right in the middle of it? Thought about gluing a magnet into it, but was a bit leary of the depth with that wierd flange where the filter slides on to in the cap itself and that the plug actually screws into.
I think you can, but you have to glue a new magnet every time you change the oil unless you don't change the plastic drain plug?

·
Registered
Black Limited
178 Posts
I think you can, but you have to glue a new magnet every time you change the oil unless you don't change the plastic drain plug?
Yeah, no biggie there as Harbor Freight has them cheap. Just wonder if that wierd flange has something to do with oil flow. Wouldn't think so as it should all flow through the filter itself. Also, wasn't to thrilled about the fit of the filter in the cap. Kinda loose with no o-ring or anything but it must compress or be a tight fit so it doesn't need one.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Yeah, no biggie there as Harbor Freight has them cheap. Just wonder if that wierd flange has something to do with oil flow. Wouldn't think so as it should all flow through the filter itself. Also, wasn't to thrilled about the fit of the filter in the cap. Kinda loose with no o-ring or anything but it must compress or be a tight fit so it doesn't need one.
I just changed mine at 1500 miles, so about 1000 break-in miles, only very small amount of metal paste was caught on the tip of the magnet tip of the oil drain plug, I think just the magnetic drain plug alone is enough to catch metal shavings as I plan on changing the oil every 4k miles, there won't be enough metal shavings that accumulate to the point that the magnet in the drain plug is too saturated to handle.

the magnet that you want to glue onto the plastic oil filter drain plug is going to be in contact with filtered oil, and I'm sure it'll catch something, but I suspect if there's no magnet there, metal shavings will still be caught by the oil pan drain plug magnet.

The hard plastic on of the filter sides is pretty weird to me too, but if Hyundai trust it without a rubber o-ring, then I'll trust it can do its job, maybe on the top where the upper side of the filter attaches to the vehicle has an 0-ring built-in

·
Registered
Black Limited
178 Posts
Good for you! Any ferrous metal it catches is the nasty stuff that chews engines up, That new plug I posted and just installed is powerful enough it stick itself on the drain pan long before it got to the hole! That's a good sign it should do it's job. Hate to see the next owner take it to Jiffy lLube and they don't remove the cotter pin before they chew up the plug or worse yet don't even clean it!

41 - 60 of 96 Posts