Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Good for you! Any ferrous metal it catches is the nasty stuff that chews engines up, That new plug I posted and just installed is powerful enough it stick itself on the drain pan long before it got to the hole! That's a good sign it should do it's job. Hate to see the next owner take it to Jiffy lLube and they don't remove the cotter pin before they chew up the plug or worse yet don't even clean it!
Yes, I had to wrangle it in the drain hole magnetism is so strong I bet nothing ferrous in the oil escapes it.

I sell my vehicles to family and friends and I sell them maintenance plans too (I maintain for them) so they never have to go to jiffy lube :p

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Screenshot

Got the oil analysis back, the oil was changed around 500 miles and only used for less than 1k miles. Can't say about every engine but at least the result from mine looks like the engine is okay, not shedding too much metal, which means hopefully there's no defect from factory

·
Registered
Black Limited
178 Posts
Changed my oil in my Limited at 750 miles. Used a new, bigger drain pan since it holds 6 quarts and all I had were 5 quart pans. Got sidetracked and couldn’t drain it right away. It set for a week in the pan and I finally drained it today. Here’s a snapshot of what it looked like in the bottom. The trash in there are particles too small for the oil filter to catch. The larger ones are simply smaller particles that have attracted to each other. Touch one and it disintegrates into smaller particles. Just thought I’d pass this along to those of you that may think you’re oil filter does it all. It doesn’t. This initial drain and change it is probably the most critical one you can do along with regularly scheduled ones. If I plan on keeping the vehicle, and I usually do, I look at this as cheap insurance and peace of mind right along with a magnetic drain plug.

Liquid Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Dishware

·
Registered
Black Limited
178 Posts
Got the oil analysis back, the oil was changed around 500 miles and only used for less than 1k miles. Can't say about every engine but at least the result from mine looks like the engine is okay, not shedding too much metal, which means hopefully there's no defect from factory
Good for you. What did they charge for the test, if you don't mind me asking, and how much did you send/take to them?

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Changed my oil in my Limited at 750 miles. Used a new, bigger drain pan since it holds 6 quarts and all I had were 5 quart pans. Got sidetracked and couldn’t drain it right away. It set for a week in the pan and I finally drained it today. Here’s a snapshot of what it looked like in the bottom. The trash in there are particles too small for the oil filter to catch. The larger ones are simply smaller particles that have attracted to each other. Touch one and it disintegrates into smaller particles. Just thought I’d pass this along to those of you that may think you’re oil filter does it all. It doesn’t. This initial drain and change it is probably the most critical one you can do along with regularly scheduled ones. If I plan on keeping the vehicle, and I usually do, I look at this as cheap insurance and peace of mind right along with a magnetic drain plug.

View attachment 2750
dang, I guess they have to strike a balance between flow rate and filtration diameter.
I'd change that 500 mile oil no questions asked
Those who don't probably don't change themselves and take it to a shop, which has labor cost.
I'm not sure how much the dealership would charge but given that it takes 6 qts and only synthetic, my guess is $120 or more from Hyundai dealership.
My true cost, regardless of time spent, is $65 for oil, $20 for filter kit = $85 a change. Still cheaper than 1 hour therapist session

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Good for you. What did they charge for the test, if you don't mind me asking, and how much did you send/take to them?
it's $30 per standard oil test, $10 more if you want to analyze additives.
The sampling kit is free to order from them and it came with all the vials and shipping labels

here is the demo

·
Registered
Black Limited
178 Posts
My true cost, regardless of time spent, is $65 for oil, $20 for filter kit = $85 a change. Still cheaper than 1 hour therapist session
I hear that! Not to mention setting there, at the dealers for a good couple hours, waiting for the kid to actually finish mine up.

·
Registered
Black Limited
178 Posts
it's $30 per standard oil test, $10 more if you want to analyze additives.
The sampling kit is free to order from them and it came with all the vials and shipping labels
Hopefully the order info is attached under the Youtube video (yes, it sure was). Will definately do that on my second oil change. Thx!

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Hopefully the order info is attached under the Youtube video. Will definately do that on my second oil change. Thx!
you're welcome, so far below is the planned interval for mine:
  • ~500 miles (done, forgot to take sample)
  • ~1500 miles (done, sample taken)
  • ~4k miles
  • ~8k miles
  • ~12k miles
I'll do 3 more and see if the readings are consistent and within normal range. I foresee that in winter months the sample will contain more metal due to cold start wear, but hopefully not much if 0W does its job

·
Registered
Black Limited
178 Posts
I'll wait now until 4-5K for the next oil change. Then probably go to 7.5-8K intervals or once a year. I don't drive that much as thats why my 2003 Baja only has 110K on it. I still change the oil once a year even though it sets alot now days. Still take it out every couple of weeks to keep up the fluids, seals, battery, etc. in good shape. Gonna post it on eBay shortly... wait a sec... let me wipe that tear welling up in my eye. 😪

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I'll wait now until 4-5K for the next oil change. Then probably go to 7.5-8K intervals or once a year. I don't drive that much as thats why my 2003 Baja only has 110K on it. I still change the oil once a year even though it sets alot now days. Still take it out every couple of weeks to keep up the fluids, seals, battery, etc. in good shape. Gonna post it on eBay shortly... wait a sec... let me wipe that tear welling up in my eye. 😪
it really depends on the driving style, I do 70% stop and go, 20% short trips, 10% highway so I absolutely qualify for severe duty. I'm curious to see the results of 4k interval in my application

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,002 Posts
FWIW this is the Hyundai Complimentary Maintenance sheet my dealer gave me at purchase.
Font Material property Thumb Paper Document

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
This initial drain and change it is probably the most critical one you can do along with regularly scheduled ones. If I plan on keeping the vehicle, and I usually do, I look at this as cheap insurance and peace of mind right along with a magnetic drain plug.
(y) 100% truth right there.

I started doing my own changes for the piece of mind it gets done right. Honestly it takes less time to DIY in the driveway then heading over the dealer for the "free" service that some underpaid, careless tech might screw up. If the service is free then how much effort do you think they put into it? Pretty much zero. Its really just a trap to sell you more unneeded services... like topping up those nitrogen filled tires :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
411 Posts
(y) 100% truth right there.

I started doing my own changes for the piece of mind it gets done right. Honestly it takes less time to DIY in the driveway then heading over the dealer for the "free" service that some underpaid, careless tech might screw up. If the service is free then how much effort do you think they put into it? Pretty much zero. Its really just a trap to sell you more unneeded services... like topping up those nitrogen filled tires :ROFLMAO:
I hear you about the DIY, but for a new vehicle with a cost of over $37K, my mindset is let the dealer do it. Free is not free... the 3 year service is built into the price. The dealer is reimbursed for the normal cost of a standard oil change, so they are not doing it for free either. The other issue is logging maintenance records for warranty claims. Dealers submit service records to the OEM for tracking.. I think CARFAX also participates.

As for careless techs... try going to a quick lube and see what you get. I've never had an issue @ a Hyundai dealer. Most Hyundai dealers now provide a short video recorded by the tech reviewing what they did to ensure QC.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Noticed that the handout said "every 2020..." Is that program still in effect at all dealers?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The dealer is reimbursed for the normal cost of a standard oil change, so they are not doing it for free either.
True... but its not profitable work for the dealer unless they cut corners. Are the techs better then those at Quick Lube? I sure hope so. Is the dealer going to work harder to do it right? Well it is in thier best intrest given any warranty claims will be squarely in their court.

Regardless I don't trust dealers and can completely the work faster myself. Just a personal thing, nothing against Hyundai - its an excellent selling perk to know your new vehicle will be cared for 3 years. They only cover the standard/normal maintenance schedule and since I'll be towing I require more frequent service thus the value is somewhat lower.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Oil change: the manual says 12 months or 8,000 miles under normal conditions. The frequency goes up to 6 months or 5,000 miles under severe use. Once over 10 years and 100,000 miles it says to switch over to the severe use schedule. The manual doesn't show any differences in the turbo vs NA in terms of mileage or time.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts