Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first dealer oil change. Noticed on the paperwork they put 5W30 synthetic blend in. I went back in to the service advisor and asked about it and they said that's what Hyundai provides for them to put in the vehicle.

The manual states 0W30 full synthetic. It does have an asterisk that says lower grades can be used and switch to the severe maintenance schedule. The service advisor did say come back at 3500 miles if I want since it's not full synthetic. I did not contest the viscosity with her at that point.

Is this oil going to screw something up? This is my first turbo and I've dropped a fair bit of coin so I want it to be right and I want it to last. Do I need to just go ahead and change the oil ASAP for the right stuff? Will Hyundai ding me on warranty if I don't want them changing my oil with worse oil than I would put in it? Am I being too picky?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I just got my first dealer oil change. Noticed on the paperwork they put 5W30 synthetic blend in. I went back in to the service advisor and asked about it and they said that's what Hyundai provides for them to put in the vehicle.

The manual states 0W30 full synthetic. It does have an asterisk that says lower grades can be used and switch to the severe maintenance schedule. The service advisor did say come back at 3500 miles if I want since it's not full synthetic. I did not contest the viscosity with her at that point.

Is this oil going to screw something up? This is my first turbo and I've dropped a fair bit of coin so I want it to be right and I want it to last. Do I need to just go ahead and change the oil ASAP for the right stuff? Will Hyundai ding me on warranty if I don't want them changing my oil with worse oil than I would put in it? Am I being too picky?
Personally, for turbos - I always use full synthetic.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally, for turbos - I always use full synthetic.
Right. So do I need to go ahead and dump this and replace with Mobil 1 0W30 ASAP?

I guess I have two main questions: since it's not winter anymore, does the 5W30 vs 0W30 matter? And will running the synthetic blend for 3500 miles as the dealer states pose a risk?

If they had stayed on 7500 mile service interval I would be changing it myself at about that 3500 interval anyway. I'd do it all myself but I don't want Hyundai to say I didn't use their maintenance if there are any warranty issues. If the dealer is going to insist on using synthetic blend I may forego their maintenance anyway, no sense in having them do an oil change if I just need to go right behind them and change it again.

·
Registered
2022 SEL Premium
86 Posts
I called multiple dealerships about this as well and I got the same answer as you got (5w-30 blend). I have the factory 'hard duty' oil package so I get a change every 3500 miles for 3 years. They said I have the option to pay `$30 extra per service to get full synthetic.

I won't be putting anything but royal purple full synthetic in mine so the factory oil changes are a moot point for me.

However, there is nothing wrong with synthetic blend 5w-30 for your car. It's just not as good as full synthetic.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
However, there is nothing wrong with synthetic blend 5w-30 for your car. It's just not as good as full synthetic.
Thank you. This makes me feel a little better. They probably won't be changing my oil down the line.

I will probably be a bit of a pain in Hyundai's ass over this and inquire to them in writing. Why you would spec something in the manual and then do something different at the dealership doesn't make sense to me.

·
Premium Member
2022 Sage Limited
572 Posts
If it’s only $30 to upgrade to synthetic, that would be worth the money.
You won’t be able to buy a filter and six quarts of quality synthetic for that price.
As far as the semi-syn 5w-30, it will do a fine job as long as you don’t try to stretch much beyond the 3000-3500 range unless you tow or enjoy spirited driving, then I’d definitely keep a close eye on it after 2000 miles or so.

5w-30 Valvoline synthetic is what I’m running in my wife’s K5 GT since it is SN+ and I will run the 0w-30 in the winter months to make sure there aren’t any cold start oiling issues.

I picked up a three pack of five quart jugs of Castrol edge 5w-30 SN+ for summer use and they only cost me $24 a piece, since I set up a subscription on Amazon. That means I can do oil changes in my SC and my wife’s K5 (same 2.5T/DCT) for around $40 after buying the $12 filter from my local Kia dealer. That’s a heck of deal in my opinion.

·
Registered
1 Posts

One thing about "Blended" oils- how much is actually syn oil ?? 5%? 10%? I only use 100%syn all the way.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it’s only $30 to upgrade to synthetic, that would be worth the money.
You won’t be able to buy a filter and six quarts of quality synthetic for that price.
True enough. I wasn't given a choice at all. When I go back this will all be handled up front. If there's no option to upgrade to synthetic, they can rotate my tires and do their inspection and sell me a filter and I'll be on my way, I've got Mobil 1 0W30 at the house already.

I guess I shouldn't have assumed the dealer service dept would be the experts.

·
Registered
22 SEL Premium AWD Blue Stone
50 Posts
12V...... since your SC is NEW, ALWAYS use a FULL SYN motor oil. If you live in an area that gets snow & the temps go below freezing, 0W-30 will help on cold starts to make sure the oil gets moved around easily & protects your engine. If you live in an area that never goes below freezing & the temps are on the upper end, 5W-30 is the best bet. Doing Oil / filter changes @ 5k is a very cheap way to guarantee that your engine will run for 200k miles. Engines w/ TURBO's or SUPERCHARGER's create a LOT of HEAT. 5W-30 oil protects against the high heat that these engines produce. If you are getting on the turbo of your Santa Cruz a lot, maybe even drop the oil changes down to 2500 miles. I change the oil in my 599 HP Supercharged LS3 Corvette every 1000 miles because of the extreme temps the engine throws off. HEAT is the biggest ENEMY of an engine's motor oil. On our new cars I do a baseline oil report from Blackstone Laboratories after 10,000 miles. Then another report at 25K & then at 50k miles to compare. There are lots of companies that test oil, I just chose this one a long time ago & have stayed w/ them. Here are a couple of articles for some extra oil info.
Font Parallel Pattern Number Rectangle

Font Parallel Pattern Rectangle Number

Rectangle Handwriting Font Circle Number

Font Material property Rectangle Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
True enough. I wasn't given a choice at all. When I go back this will all be handled up front. If there's no option to upgrade to synthetic, they can rotate my tires and do their inspection and sell me a filter and I'll be on my way, I've got Mobil 1 0W30 at the house already.
Some service depts. will let you bring in your own oil for them to use when they refill it. Just watch that they don't accidentally charge you for it!

Well... yes. The newest, least-trained tech has to start out by doing something to earn his keep, right?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Techs tend do whatever is easiest for them and makes the dealership the most money. The idea that have some special knowledge is false. They tend to be more familiar with a certain makes or models (usually the more popular ones just from experience), but that doesn't mean they know anymore about your particular vehicle then you can learn from this forum or from the owner's manual.

Reactions: 12V

·
Registered
139 Posts
Would one of the more knowledgeable guys have better information, and hopefully can comment...
I was told a long time ago that dino oil will swell gaskets over time. Eventually, the swelled version becomes their nominal size. If you then change to full syn, the dino comes out of the gaskets and they shrink, which causes them not to seal well and things leak.
Is this true?
And would one oil change interval with dino in it be enough to cause this to happen?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Would one of the more knowledgeable guys have better information, and hopefully can comment...
I was told a long time ago that dino oil will swell gaskets over time. Eventually, the swelled version becomes their nominal size. If you then change to full syn, the dino comes out of the gaskets and they shrink, which causes them not to seal well and things leak.
Is this true?
And would one oil change interval with dino in it be enough to cause this to happen?
You have it exactly backwards...AND it's ancient history. The early (70's and early 80's) ester-based synthetics would swell seals & gaskets that could later shrink back when conventional oils were used, causing leaks. This is no longer the case with any common oils in today's market. This is primarily because today's seals have been improved in all modern vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2022 Sage Limited
572 Posts
You have it exactly backwards...AND it's ancient history. The early (70's and early 80's) ester-based synthetics would swell seals & gaskets that could later shrink back when conventional oils were used, causing leaks. This is no longer the case with any common oils in today's market. This is primarily because today's seals have been improved in all modern vehicles.
I have heard (but not seen myself) that using a high mileage oil can swell gaskets slightly. Then going back to a normal additive package, can cause leaks.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hyundai wrote me back when I inquired to their customer service.
Based upon the information you provided, the service department at your local Hyundai dealership would be in the best position to provide you with the correct and appropriate information for you and your vehicle.
Hyundai employs dozens, maybe even hundreds of engineers. As far as I know, my local dealership employs zero engineers. But this is Hyundai's official stance to me. The dealer knows best. The dealer who isn't incentivized to use the expensive oil on the free oil changes. The dealer who is incentivized to have me need service on the thing. They can trump the manual written by the manufacturer and tell me that I need to run frac sand as an oil additive, I guess. Lol.

Edit: That sounds more distrustful than it should. I'm not that negative about it. But I do think it's funny that Hyundai says the dealer knows best when asked a pointed technical question (essentially who is right: the dealer or the owner's manual).

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The dealer and the manufacturer are married. You're just a neighbor.

Reactions: 12V

·
Registered
Santa Cruz limited
25 Posts
Maybe I missed it but what brand 5-30 synthetic blend are the dealers using for the 2.5 turbo? I will likely pay extra for full synthetic 0-30 or just do the oil change myself

·
Registered
377 Posts
Is this true?

I've heard that for years but as a shop owner I've never seen it. People buy used cars and start using synthetic all the time. Sometimes with 100k,150k. I wouldn't recommend it but ive never seen any issue from it. Ive seen seals and gaskets leak on 100k dollar cars with 20k miles that only ran synthetic. Ive seen seals and gaskets leak on cars that ran conventional.

I despise synthetic blend. Paying more for a conventional oil with an unnamed percent of synthetic when a real synthetic is barely more money.

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Limited
258 Posts
Hyundai does not include synthetic oil as part of their standard 3yr maintenance according to the maintenance brochure the dealer is to use conventional oil. I have the Maintenance Wrap (middle tier) so I'm not sure if the dealer will ask for a fee to upgrade to full synth or it they will charge it to the maintenance plan since synthetic is marked as optional. My first maintenance probably won't be due till late Summer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts