Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

Was just wondering what type of fuel do you guys plan to run in your SC? should I be running 91 on the break in? or should I just stick to 87 in my terrain I had to run 91 when I was towing my trailer should I be doing the same with the SC? couldn't find anything in the manual saying what type of fuel to use or I'm just blind and missed it

·
Registered
1,025 Posts

The manual says 87.

I wouldn't bother with 91 unless it starts pinging. My old Ranger would ping while towing with the AC on in the FL heat, but never had that problem with my newer (still 20 year old) Dakota. That 4.0l V6 Ranger was seriously under-powered having only 160HP yet still somehow rated to tow 5,700lbs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it makes 281HP on 87? i know my terrain said it only makes its max Horsepower and TQ with 91 or higher

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Limited, Sage Gray
41 Posts
Compare it to the Ford Rangers engine, 2.3L engine that makes 270 horsepower and 310 lb-ft of torque on 87 octane to the Santa Cruz's 281 horsepower and 311 lb-ft of torque.

All things considered for it's displacement it's likely got a fair amount of overhead in terms of pinging.

The Ranger has an OEM tune available on 93 octane that raises the engine up 45 horsepower and 60 lb-ft.

Either way, run the fuel your car is designed and tuned for, otherwise you're wasting money fighting detonation that more than likely is not occurring.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The manual (1-5):
“Your new vehicle is designed to perform optimally using unleaded fuel having an octane number ((R+M)/2) of 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher.”

Sales guy told me just plain ole 87. We can ignore “Research Octane Number 91” yes?

·
Registered
Phantom Black Limited AWD
128 Posts
Octane rating formulas could vary from country to country.
In the U.S. & Canada, we use the (R+M)/2. Research Octane Number (RON) is usually used in Europe and Latin America.
So using what we know as 87 (which is equivalent to 91 RON) is perfectly optimized for our SCs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts