Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually put my phantom black sel premium to the test by taking on a massive supply run. A little background info: I'm an art teacher who needs the versatility a vehicle like the Santa Cruz can offer. The run consisted of myself and 2 other art teachers, a 3 foot spool of chicken wire, 8 - 10 foot lengths of 1" pvc resting in the back window opening, 6 cans of spray paint, 5 gallons of house paint, 8 five gallon buckets with 8 joints for the pvc and lids in the floor of my cabin, 1 8'x12' tarp and 6 sheets of 4' by 8' plywood. The last part got a bit tricky. While hyundai does say the bed can handle plywood sheets, there are a couple of things to keep in mind; if you have the bed extender (bed fence?) The small attachment points near the opening of the bed will hinder you from laying the sheets flat. We were, however, able to close the tailgate and stack the plywood under the tonneau at an angle and rest the weight on the lip of the tailgate. It made me nervous, but it rode beautifully. Hopefully my little adventure will be of use to someone with intentions of loading plywood in the near future. The aforementioned hardware for the bed fence can be taken off with an Allen wrench...Happy Cruzin' y'all!

·
Registered
24 Posts
The cables on the end gate are supposed to cinch up short so the top edge of the tailgate is level with the top of the wheel wells. There are slots in the sides of the bed. Use 1 x 4 stretchers between these slots to support the plywood. The SEL we have on order has not arrived, so I have not been able to try it, but this is what I have read about hauling plywood.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're right, the tailgate can be adjusted to support a load of wood, but if you have the attachments for the bed fence,they will inhibit more than one sheet of plywood laying flat because the space between is too narrow for standard 4'x8' sheets. Granted, the wood we picked up may have been a bit wider than 4 feet. It's a small problem that can handily be fixed with an allen wrench.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thank you to both of you for the responses. Assuming the SEL with the cargo package we have on-order comes one day, I have throught about making a support from square tubing that fits into the trailer hitch mount. It would both support the end of a sheet of plywood and keep it from sliding backward. It could be put in place when I want to bring home a sheet or two of plywood. I have a welder.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Not plywood but I'm grateful to be rolling with the SC; church member had a load of firewood sitting in his driveway. On the way to help stack it I happened to be driving down an industrial road. A few stones and these giveaways were nice for keeping the stacks off the ground.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts