Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an SEL with the NON-Bose stereo. I'm looking to add a small powered sub under the passenger seat. I'm debating between an Alpine, Kenwood or Kicker if I'm able to install it myself. Has anyone added one yet? I'm wondering if there are rca inputs available on the stereo. Thirty years ago I installed subs/amps in my vehicles all the time. I'm not sure how much may have changed, but don't want to risk damaging anything with all of the tech these days.
If I end up having it professionally installed, I would likely go with Phoenix Gold.

I'd appreciate any feedback y'all may have.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 Frontier
60 Posts
Crutchfield reference:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crutchfield reference:
Thanks I had seen that, but it doesn't help much. It basically tells me the dimensions of replacing the existing speakers. I appreciate the thought.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have an SEL with the NON-Bose stereo. I'm looking to add a small powered sub under the passenger seat. I'm debating between an Alpine, Kenwood or Kicker if I'm able to install it myself. Has anyone added one yet? I'm wondering if there are rca inputs available on the stereo. Thirty years ago I installed subs/amps in my vehicles all the time. I'm not sure how much may have changed, but don't want to risk damaging anything with all of the tech these days.
If I end up having it professionally installed, I would likely go with Phoenix Gold.

I'd appreciate any feedback y'all may have.
Thanks!
On a Facebook post , the person to the SC to a professional place and installed a kicker under the driver seat. If I can find the audio wires for the rear speakers, I can hookup the subwoofer myself

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Bumper Vehicle

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
113 Posts
Thirty years ago I installed subs/amps in my vehicles all the time. I'm not sure how much may have changed, but don't want to risk damaging anything with all of the tech these days.
A LOT has changed, I'm right there with you on doing it back in the day. Now head units do half the stuff for the car and canbus is on everything so it's not the same ballgame.

That said crutchfield has probably solidified its usefulness by becoming a universal source for harnesses, trim kits, and knowledge. You may have to wait for a harness to be developed but a lot should carry over from the Tucson. And powered subs with high level inputs or using high level to preamp converters still works.

Another user here has installed a kicker hideaway sub in the stock limited sub location, standing up behind the driver side back seat. The 8 and 10 each fit in there.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Another user here has installed a kicker hideaway sub in the stock limited sub location, standing up behind the driver side back seat. The 8 and 10 each fit in there.
The Limited with the Bose has the factory sub, the other models don’t and will prove more challenging since you don’t have easy access to a dedicated sub speaker wire.

I too would for wait for an in dash harness vs cutting into things like we all did back in the day.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It has also been a long time for me since installing car audio but not much seems to have changed besides the improvement in factory head units.

I'm looking at adding a hideaway unit like the kicker myself either behind the rear seats like factory or under one of the front seats. Most of the hideaway units have speaker level inputs so you can just tape into the +/- for each of the main front speakers. Even without a harness really shouldn't be that hard from what I see.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has anyone just tried upgrading the door speakers?

The whole stereo in the base model is lacking just that, bass. I just want something to balance out the lack of low-end.

So the factory sub goes where?

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
113 Posts
Here is a post with a photo of the stock sub location for the Bose system. Further on in the thread are photos of a replacement sub installed there.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I don't see it mentioned, but I wonder if there is wiring there in the base model?
The non-Bose systems are driven using an amp built into the radio itself. The Bose system on the other hand use a seperate digital amp under the drivers seat to drive all the speakers including the tiny woofer behind the rear seat. Thus the wiring is different between the two models (confirmed above).

The Bose system in the Limited has dedicated outputs for each speaker including the center channel, tweeters and the sub, while the standard system just has leads for the door speakers. Someone posted an image showing the speaker wiring colors but its gone now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just need something to introduce a little bit of low-end, I don't mean window shaking bass, just being able to hear stuff below 400Hz. I listen to a lot of music, and a lot of it sounds **** weird in the Santa Cruz with it's complete lack of low-end. I don't know what the weak point in the system is, the stereo itself, or the speakers, or what.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I don't know what the weak point in the system is, the stereo itself, or the speakers, or what.
Its a little bit of everything - small speakers, weak amp, no EQ, etc... all the same reasons almost every stock audio system ever made tends to be weak. Without a subwoofer the low end is going to be lacking. The SC only has 6 1/2" door speakers so those are never going to produce much low frequency bass.

Adding a powered sub behind the rear seats is the answer, but you'll need to tap the audio signal from the rear door speakers if you don't have the Bose system with its dedicated subwoofer wires.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Its a little bit of everything - small speakers, weak amp, no EQ, etc... all the same reasons almost every stock audio system ever made tends to be weak. Without a subwoofer the low end is going to be lacking. The SC only has 6 1/2" door speakers so those are never going to produce much low frequency bass.

Adding a powered sub behind the rear seats is the answer, but you'll need to tap the audio signal from the rear door speakers if you don't have the Bose system with its dedicated subwoofer wires.
According to Hyundai the base audio system has a external amp located under the Passenger front seat. Could you access the speaker wires there or do you have to tap into the door speakers for a base system?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
According to Hyundai the base audio system has a external amp located under the Passenger front seat.
Service manual says no, the base radio has all connections at the back of the in dash unit. I don't have the full eletrical diagram but the pictures above show an AWD control unit under the passenger seat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just finished my install of the 10 inch hideaway. It was pretty easy once you know where to connect. Taking things apart was pretty simple for anyone who does basic mechanical work. Local audio shop helped me with finding the rear speaker cables to tap into for my new sub. (Non Bose version). Also replaced my door speakers with kicker cs series. Gutted the factory speakers to reuse the bracket and plugs. Still have to do my fronts but it’s much better with the new bass.
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

1 - 20 of 103 Posts