Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't think you would want to tie both outputs from you audio system together. That would end up putting the left and right speakers together and you might also blow out the left and right power amplifiers in your audio system. Tying the two speakers leads together would also lead to cancellation of some signals. That would make your left and right speakers sound bad and the subwoofer would also sound bad.
Please disregard my previous post. Tying the two inputs to the subwoofer together is entirely different from tying the two outputs from the audio system together.

Regards
Clint
AZ

·
Registered
Phantom Black Limited
127 Posts
I don't think you would want to tie both outputs from you audio system together. That would end up putting the left and right speakers together and you might also blow out the left and right power amplifiers in your audio system. Tying the two speakers leads together would also lead to cancellation of some signals. That would make your left and right speakers sound bad and the subwoofer would also sound bad.
So just use one of the two inputs on the sub?

·
Registered
Phantom Black Limited
127 Posts
I ended up putting the left and right positives from the sub together to the blue positive from the stock harness, then both left and right negatives together to the red negative from the stock harness. Works fine from what I can tell. If someone knows better please let me know. The kicker is a self powered system that is 180w at 4 ohm single channel, not sure what else to do with the amp's left and right inputs.

Gain is set to about half, crossover freq is between 80-100 from what I can tell and gain it adjusted by the knob wired up in the glove box.

TBH I have no idea what the cross over does but with the gain where its at, it hits clean but not too hard.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
96 Posts
I have no idea what the cross over does
The crossover cuts off frequencies above its setting from going to the sub. Higher setting send more midrange to the sub, lower setting limits it to more sub bass.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I ended up putting the left and right positives from the sub together to the blue positive from the stock harness, then both left and right negatives together to the red negative from the stock harness. Works fine from what I can tell. If someone knows better please let me know. The kicker is a self powered system that is 180w at 4 ohm single channel, not sure what else to do with the amp's left and right inputs.

Gain is set to about half, crossover freq is between 80-100 from what I can tell and gain it adjusted by the knob wired up in the glove box.

TBH I have no idea what the cross over does but with the gain where its at, it hits clean but not too hard.
Where did you pick the speakers wires from? In the B pillar?

·
Registered
80 Posts
So just use one of the two inputs on the sub?
I just talked with Kicker tech support. He said that both inputs to the Hideaway need to be connected. The right side input goes to the right side speaker wires and the left side input goes to the left side speaker wires. The two inputs are combined with some passive components inside the box before they go to the mono-amplifier. That makes sense. Each channel (left and right) has bass signals. If you only connect up one input on the Kicker, then you will miss out on the bass input from the other channel. Not connecting up both inputs could be the reason that some people have reported bad performance on the kicker. So that means one has to find the wiring for the left side speakers and the right side speakers.

Clint
AZ

·
Registered
Phantom Black Limited
127 Posts
I just talked with Kicker tech support. He said that both inputs to the Hideaway need to be connected. The right side input goes to the right side speaker wires and the left side input goes to the left side speaker wires. The two inputs are combined with some passive components inside the box before they go to the mono-amplifier. That makes sense. Each channel (left and right) has bass signals. If you only connect up one input on the Kicker, then you will miss out on the bass input from the other channel. Not connecting up both inputs could be the reason that some people have reported bad performance on the kicker. So that means one has to find the wiring for the left side speakers and the right side speakers.

Clint
AZ
So sounds like combining both left and right positives to the single factory positive, and same for negative would be the correct way then no?

·
Registered
80 Posts
So sounds like combining both left and right positives to the single factory positive, and same for negative would be the correct way then no?
Connect the Kicker left positive/negative to the left speaker wiring. Connect the Kicker right positive/negative to the right speaker wiring. Do not connect the left and right inputs on the Kicker together.

Clint
AZ

·
Registered
80 Posts
Connect the Kicker left positive/negative to the left speaker wiring. Connect the Kicker right positive/negative to the right speaker wiring. Do not connect the left and right inputs on the Kicker together.

Clint
AZ
I suspect that the factory Bose wiring has a single cable from the Bose amp to the Bose subwoofer (a positive and negative wire). If so, then bridging of the left and right stereo channels has been done in the Bose amp. I recommend that you contact Kicker Tech Support and find out how the Kicker should be connected to the Bose cable. My guess is that you can use either the left channel input or the right channel input on the Kicker.

Clint
AZ

·
Registered
Phantom Black Limited
127 Posts

Clint
AZ
Can you send me a private message or post the number you used to call them? I know I could find one online but I'd like to try and reach the same department you spoke with at least. Thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Can you send me a private message or post the number you used to call them? I know I could find one online but I'd like to try and reach the same department you spoke with at least. Thanks!
To contact Kicker Tech Support, call: 405-624-8583 and ask for Tech Support. I was passed through immediately for the two times that I called. I spoke with Anthony each time. He appeared to be knowledgeable about the Kicker Hideaway product.

Clint
AZ

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have an SEL with the NON-Bose stereo. I'm looking to add a small powered sub under the passenger seat. I'm debating between an Alpine, Kenwood or Kicker if I'm able to install it myself. Has anyone added one yet? I'm wondering if there are rca inputs available on the stereo. Thirty years ago I installed subs/amps in my vehicles all the time. I'm not sure how much may have changed, but don't want to risk damaging anything with all of the tech these days.
If I end up having it professionally installed, I would likely go with Phoenix Gold.

I'd appreciate any feedback y'all may have.
Thanks!
I am still reviewing which direction I want to go with a low profile subwoofer in my Santa Cruz. Here is where I am at in my decision process:

I have reviewed the reviews for the Kicker Hideaway 10, the Kicker Hideaway 8, Alpine, Rockville, Kenwood, etc. All reviews have about 5 - 8% bad comments. Each reviewer, for a given model ran down the subwoofer that he/she used and then recommended another model. Example: user ran down on the Kicker but said the Alpine was great. User ran down the Kenwood, but said the Rockville was great, etc. All models had a high percentage of excellent reviews.

I have only used Kicker speakers one time in the past. They appear to be high quality.

All of the 8" and 10" boxes appear to be about the same size. The Kenwood 8" box appears to be the smallest. This model also has the most reviews on Amazon. The Kicker 10" is small and about the same size as the 8". I am leaning toward the Kicker 10", but I am not sure I need the extra power. Amazon appears to have the best price for this unit, but Best Buy is supposed to price match.

Crutchfield has not offering other than speakers to replace the door units. At this time, I do not plan to replace those units. For my ears, they sound OK.

There appears to be no room to mount a Kicker 10" under the front driver's seat or the passenger seat. The air vents would be blocked and there is not enough room to slide the Kicker under the vent.
I could mount the box further toward the rear, but rear passengers would kick the box with their feet. So the best location is vertical behind the driver's side rear seat. I really did not want to use that location because the unit becomes inaccessible once the seats are bolted back in.

I will run the power cable to the battery terminal under the hood.

I will run the remote control wire to under the dash on the driver's side.

The Kicker has two high level inputs - one for left speaker and one for the right speaker. Both inputs have to be connected. So the left side input would not have a long run of wire since the Kicker would be near the wiring for the left door speaker. The right side input will be more difficult. I will need to run the right side input wire to the right side speaker wiring. I am hoping I can fish the right side wire behind the right side rear seat without having to remove the seat.

Does anyone see any issues with my plan?

Clint
AZ

·
Registered
Phantom Black Limited
127 Posts
I am still reviewing which direction I want to go with a low profile subwoofer in my Santa Cruz. Here is where I am at in my decision process:

I have reviewed the reviews for the Kicker Hideaway 10, the Kicker Hideaway 8, Alpine, Rockville, Kenwood, etc. All reviews have about 5 - 8% bad comments. Each reviewer, for a given model ran down the subwoofer that he/she used and then recommended another model. Example: user ran down on the Kicker but said the Alpine was great. User ran down the Kenwood, but said the Rockville was great, etc. All models had a high percentage of excellent reviews.

I have only used Kicker speakers one time in the past. They appear to be high quality.

All of the 8" and 10" boxes appear to be about the same size. The Kenwood 8" box appears to be the smallest. This model also has the most reviews on Amazon. The Kicker 10" is small and about the same size as the 8". I am leaning toward the Kicker 10", but I am not sure I need the extra power. Amazon appears to have the best price for this unit, but Best Buy is supposed to price match.

Crutchfield has not offering other than speakers to replace the door units. At this time, I do not plan to replace those units. For my ears, they sound OK.

There appears to be no room to mount a Kicker 10" under the front driver's seat or the passenger seat. The air vents would be blocked and there is not enough room to slide the Kicker under the vent.
I could mount the box further toward the rear, but rear passengers would kick the box with their feet. So the best location is vertical behind the driver's side rear seat. I really did not want to use that location because the unit becomes inaccessible once the seats are bolted back in.

I will run the power cable to the battery terminal under the hood.

I will run the remote control wire to under the dash on the driver's side.

The Kicker has two high level inputs - one for left speaker and one for the right speaker. Both inputs have to be connected. So the left side input would not have a long run of wire since the Kicker would be near the wiring for the left door speaker. The right side input will be more difficult. I will need to run the right side input wire to the right side speaker wiring. I am hoping I can fish the right side wire behind the right side rear seat without having to remove the seat.

Does anyone see any issues with my plan?

Clint
AZ
You need to remove the entire backseat if you place the sub there. So running speaker wires to either side is equally as easy. I timed it, and from the moment I opened my box to having the seat completely out was only 35 min and that including time spent figuring out what bolts and how. Follow my post with removal steps and photos and you can get the seat out in less than 20 min easy.

·
Registered
Phantom Black Limited
127 Posts
I ran my power up the drivers side and ran the bass boost cable up the passenger side into the glove box

·
Registered
20 Posts
Its a little bit of everything - small speakers, weak amp, no EQ, etc... all the same reasons almost every stock audio system ever made tends to be weak. Without a subwoofer the low end is going to be lacking. The SC only has 6 1/2" door speakers so those are never going to produce much low frequency bass.

Adding a powered sub behind the rear seats is the answer, but you'll need to tap the audio signal from the rear door speakers if you don't have the Bose system with its dedicated subwoofer wires.
Do you get the rear speaker wires from the
B piller You could take the underseat storage out and place it there> Put the jack in the bed storage. Put stuff around it so it does not slide around

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am assuming that I would need to go to both B pillars in order to get the left set and right set of speaker wires. I had thought about using the underseat storage space, but I really need that space for storage. I have a bed extender, so I can only lift the bed storage lid about 8". That makes it difficult to get items in and out, but is OK for items that I seldom use.

Clint
AZ

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Connect the Kicker left positive/negative to the left speaker wiring. Connect the Kicker right positive/negative to the right speaker wiring.
Do NOT combine the + and -

Correct.

The Kicker manual shows how it should be wired:
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Number

Very logical for the non-Limited models.

However in the case of the Limited which only has a mono signal (no left or right) then both right and left Kicker inputs need the same signal. So white and grey (+) are connected to the factory + then white/black and grey/black (-) go to the factory -

I just need to find a wiring diagram with all factory colors to know which is the + and - for each speaker. And yes somewhere in the B pillar will be wiring going to the rear doors for the non-Limited.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Do NOT combine the + and -

Correct.

The Kicker manual shows how it should be wired:
View attachment 5593

Very logical for the non-Limited models.

However in the case of the Limited which only has a mono signal (no left or right) then both right and left Kicker inputs need the same signal. So white and grey (+) are connected to the factory + then white/black and grey/black (-) go to the factory -

I just need to find a wiring diagram with all factory colors to know which is the + and - for each speaker. And yes somewhere in the B pillar will be wiring going to the rear doors for the non-Limited.
If you are using the SC that came with the Bose subwoofer, then I think you only need to hook the Bose subwoofer cable to only one input of the Kicker hideaway. It should not matter which input (left or right) that you use.

Clint
AZ

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
If you are using the SC that came with the Bose subwoofer, then I think you only need to hook the Bose subwoofer cable to only one input of the Kicker hideaway. It should not matter which input (left or right) that you use.
In theory you are correct... however I would connect both R & L anyway just in case your particular audio source has stereo or single channel bass. Modern digitally mixed music should contain mono bass, but older rock or classical music may not. Kicker gives you a L and R input so when in doubt feed it both signals as the manual shows. Kicker made the system assuming your adding onto a factory stereo so the unit expects a stereo (R & L) signal as input.

If the + and - are flipped then all you need to do is toggle the phase switch on the amp to whichever position sounds better. Subwoofer phase is more about listing position and synchronizing with door speakers anyway. However you must NOT combine the + and - from the factory leads you could short out the radio that way.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts