Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am looking for advice on whether to buy as soon as I can or wait.

I've been looking at a Limited in Sage Grey and was close to getting one but it was bought off the truck out from under me at the dealer I was working with. I also cancelled my reservation because the 5 dealers I have tried to work with all will not accept the reservation. It is also looking like the Sage Grey Limited models are pretty rare up here (Massachusetts). Here is my conundrum,

I could wait a few months for more models to come in and it will be easier for me to get exactly what I want. However, I would be trading my current vehicle. It is a 2017 Civic Hatch with just under 80k. Right now it could fetch about 15kish trade. I drive 80 miles a day for a commute so I am worried that if I waited months to get the right one, my car would take a massive depreciation hit and make the Santa Cruz technically more expensive for me.

I test drove a black one that has been sitting on the dealers lot for a couple weeks for some reason. They are asking 6k over MSRP but I know someone who works at one of their dealers and could maybe help me get MSRP. Either way I refuse to pay a dollar over MSRP.

Thoughts on the best time for me to buy? Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
262 Posts
Hi everyone,

I've been looking at a Limited in Sage Grey and was close to getting one but it was bought off the truck out from under me at the dealer I was working with. I also cancelled my reservation because the 5 dealers I have tried to work with all will not accept the reservation. It is also looking like the Sage Grey Limited models are pretty rare up here (Massachusetts). Here is my conundrum,

I could wait a few months for more models to come in and it will be easier for me to get exactly what I want. However, I would be trading my current vehicle. It is a 2017 Civic Hatch with just under 80k. Right now it could fetch about 15kish trade. I drive 80 miles a day for a commute so I am worried that if I waited months to get the right one, my car would take a massive depreciation hit and make the Santa Cruz technically more expensive for me.

I test drove a black one that has been sitting on the dealers lot for a couple weeks for some reason. They are asking 6k over MSRP but I know someone who works at one of their dealers and could maybe help me get MSRP. Either way I refuse to pay a dollar over MSRP.

The best time to buy is when the right opportunity presents itself...if an SC is there for MSRP, meets your criteria with regard to features, color, etc. and you're ready you should go for it.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
204 Posts
Used cars are at a peak right now, bringing top dollar. It's not just hype. But there's no way I would pay more than MSRP.

If you have to wait, just wait, but paying over MSRP is going to negate any price benefit you'd get from today's inflated used car prices. Check around, though - not all dealers are raping buyers.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Looking to trade the exact same car in though with only 53k miles.

I don’t think there is a reliable way to predict value several months from now. But I too believe we are at peak trade in value.

So I have decided personally it could be worth going 1k over msrp and anything beyond that it’s better to wait.

So like others have said I am waiting for the right deal and if it doesn’t come I wait.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
482 Posts
I will be waiting for MSRP or lower, but my Ridgeline seems more than capable with its superior AWD system and larger interior and bed space.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@Portentous2, I had to give up my Sage Gray Limited in Manchester, NH if you're interested. It became available on Friday night, so not sure if it's still available or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,

I recently had to make a similar choice — I had a ‘13 Crosstrek and it was clear the value on it was never going to be higher. Local dealer listed the SEL Premium for $6k over MSRP. I talked them down to $1k over MSRP (still not ideal, obviously). Taking into consideration that the used car market seems likely to cool in the near future and that I was only adding more miles to my depreciating asset, I was able to rationalize it in my head and went ahead with the trade-in. Good luck!

·
Registered
79 Posts
AutoFair in Manchester, informed me that they are marking them up $5k. They've been trying to get me in to test drive and they will only talk numbers if you are in the dealership. the only reason why i know this is my brother is looking to buy a GV70 and we stopped in to talk to them. That was about a month ago. i stopped at Grappone in Concord, NH and they are placing orders with Hyundai and they have fulfilled three so far what they told me. We haven't started talking numbers but from what they told me they are selling at MSRP (includes what ever comes from factory) and then only the add ons I request and doc, title fees. Soon as they get VIN we will start talking numbers.
And they are marking it sold in my name as soon as it is given so it doesn't get sold to anyone else. I will put down a deposit but it is 100% refundable. Only thing that sucked is the new arrival date got pushed back from late october to 11/12. But i am not in a need situation so i will wait.

·
Registered
103 Posts
AutoFair in Manchester, informed me that they are marking them up $5k. They've been trying to get me in to test drive and they will only talk numbers if you are in the dealership.

But i am not in a need situation so i will wait.
I am in the same situation. Most nearby dealers have already sold the SCs they have in transit, and the few prices I could find show a lot of add-ons and price markups. Most of them will not talk about price at all unless I come in and drive one, and I think we all know what that means.

I don't see that changing anytime soon, so I am getting my Tundra some new tires and a new battery while I wait this part out. Someday they will just be another car for sale and then I will snag one for myself, although I expect that will take a while.

People who got a SC early and for MSRP are lucky, but I did not jump in nearly quick enough to get mine anytime soon.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
204 Posts
I'm a big free market guy, and I completely understand supply and demand, etc. BUT sitting back with a big evil grin and gouging the public like some dealers are doing is just wrong.

And I can only hope people don't pay those bloated prices, and that the buying public long remembers those dealers' greedy and unbusinesslike practices.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here is my buy scenario: Detailed a few things about playing things a little aloof, but also being decisive and committing firmly upfront to buying a vehicle I had not seen or driven. Trusting that full buy-in is always part up the process until the last min

So started things by walking in to a local dealer knowing they didn't have any on the lot atm. First words were 'I want to buy an SC limited or premium'

Rep was very no nonsense and I took it as a que to be more aloof than he was. He gave me the spec sheet for a premium Hampton Grey that was due in. He asked if I had test driven one. Said no, But he pointed out a Tuscon I could sit in. I did and left. I called him about 20 mins to say I'd put a deposit (500) down on that one he had a sheet for. He was busy but said he'd get back.

No reservation. No price talk. I didnt have him tied up with what ifs that kept him from working with other people.

No one , even three weeks ago had ever seen an SC here. The whole state had exactly 1 before the one I bought.

Rep didn't get back to take the deposit in the hour he mentioned. Gave it two. took the opportunity to write short email saying I appreciated the no nonsense approach, would appreciate being able to commit to the vehicle he pointed out. Let him know I'd take the no nonsense approach and to throw in the promotion for the military discount to firewall any market adjustments on the ask.

He called two weeks early on a Thursday and let me know it was in.

I rolled him soonest I'd be there was Friday afternoon to grab it and to figure 30-40 mins for the test drive

Said I would finance with the dealer.

I didn't blink at the iterest rate. 3.5%
They could have done better but I didn't argue. Just blinked at it and said.. hmm ok.

They asked who I had as a bank. Told them who but didn't offer my rate. They fished wanting to compare their 3.5 to my bank, guessing incorrectly that it was around 2.9 it was lower. But I just said ok.

All the while they claimed not being able to get better than 3.5 ( they could have) but it didn't matter to the numbers I needed that day. I was just at price and incentives and... trade. They were distracted by the 4 box thing.

At the end I said. would you take my old vehicle? They said what about it...

Didn't argue with that ethier. Said it wasn't worth anything and knew it was going to wholesale. Any price was better than I had a right to expect.. didn't get emotional about the offer for the trade ethier. Just another ok

Their finance person was busy. So I took off in the vehicle I just packaged in the deal to go grab my son. I camped him out in the back of the SC as everything closed. Kinda a placeholder and also unload the items from the old car.

Finance person got unbusy.

In the end got about $1499 in incentives on an SEL premium. So I asked what the extra 499 or so dollars was and was told it was just because he was able to work it in... Great!

After all the paperwork was done I had a thought that the deposit wasn't even factored into the sales invoice, but it wasn't relevant to nailing down the deal. Knew it was protected and I didn't want to start moving numbers around.

dIdn't even think about it again.

Also didn't ask about the trade again. Just got walked through the sales process.

Sure enough, nothing about the paperwork tracked the deposit but mum. I verified the incentives the trade and agreed price and said it be nice to get on the road with my son

When I did it get home I changed my pre-approval loan to a new car refinance under 2%. then a few days later followed up with the dealer about the deposit. 'hey could you have finance check...'

so by keeping it apart it's due to be put back on the CC.

Maybe this helps someone to get into an SC

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I am waiting. There is no reason to overpay for a vehicle. Depreciation is 20-30% in the first year. And never compromise on something you plan on owning long term. If the color or options are wrong just wait. This supply shortage will not last forever. In the end you have to decide between needs and wants along with what is a reasonable amount of time stuck in a holding pattern.

Regarding your trade: you could always plug in the estimated mileage into any of the various online appraisal tools to see how much of hit the extra miles will be, you might be surprised that it doesn't effect things that much.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Late info for this discussion but visited my dealer day before yesterday to see the gray interior on the limited I reserved but the owner is getting. During conversation my sales rep dropped that they are lowering prices on their used inventory because they have new inventory on the way and that Hyundai is back at full production. So at least in my area (the south) we may be past peak trade value.

·
Registered
Santa Cruz - Searching...
94 Posts
...visited my dealer day before yesterday to see the gray interior...
Thoughts after seeing the interior? As with the exterior colors, you can't depend on the photos/videos for an accurate representation. Some look gray, some look green. My wife and I have been inclined to think that is what we want, but never seen in person.

·
Registered
Santa Cruz - Searching...
94 Posts
Difficult decision, but for now, I am WAITING. Due to availability of all cars, the used car market is crazy. As of yesterday, I sold my 2020 GMC Canyon Denali to Carmax for $5,000 more than I paid for it. Over the years, I have made money on flipping motorcycles, but that was a first on car/truck!

As any rate, the market conditions that made that possible are the very same conditions that make the idea of purchasing right now a bad choice. 9 months to a year from how, hopefully chip shortages (and SC shortages) are a thing of the past. The 2023 SC will be available, first model year bugs worked out, etc. If, at that time, I am still passionate about the buy, then hopefully the discussion will be all about how much the deal is below MSRP rather than just feeling fortunate to buy at MSRP. To me, I see great wisdom in cooling the jets and waiting.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I watch business shows every weekday, sometimes all day long, and the word is that the chip shortage is going to last all the way through 2023 and possibly into 2024 as well.

Did you know that the average new car has a thousand chips?!? 😯 And the electric vehicles have even more. Those car manufacturers, including Hyundai, are competing with phone companies, computer companies, gaming systems, etc. And those folks have customers who buy stuff much more frequently than once every 3 to 7 years!

I can't help but think that the shortage is also contributing to the lack of features on new cars. If the manufacturers have to "stretch" their chips, they have to cut something somewhere.

Just an FYI. :geek:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thoughts after seeing the interior? As with the exterior colors, you can't depend on the photos/videos for an accurate representation. Some look gray, some look green. My wife and I have beeb inclined to think that is what we want, but never seen in person.
It is a darkish gray, like 70% dark. The pics my sales rep sent me were lighter but that was because they were in the sun.

The Canadian configurator actually calls it dark green.

IMO way preferable to black, even though it is by no means light.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts