Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
What after market accessories are you hoping to put on your Santa Cruz?

Lots of people that will be buying this vehicle will be adding things to their SAV like a bed rack, roof top tent, bike & kayak racks, etc... List what you hope gets made and actual addons as they hit the market.

I'm hoping Ursa Minor will take an interest in the Santa Cruz. I believe he got his start making pop top campers for the Honda Element. Now he makes them for some Ford and Jeep models too.

Something like this Jeep camper that is super light weight, sits on the bed sides not in the bed and a sleeping platform that can be slide forward for the back half would be great. Matching the HSC body line design would be key to the aesthetics.

View attachment 736

Here's his site: Ursa Minor Vehicles

Id like to see a front wheel bike rack mount up on the rear cab rails that lets you lock the un-removed front wheel in with the rear wheel sitting in the closed bed.
Lift kit would be sweet but CV Axles are probable too short to allow for the increased angle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My dealer said they've added an accessory called "Launch package," but doesn't know what it is. I've inquired with a HMNA source to see if I can find the deets on it.

·
Registered
TBD
13 Posts
My dealer said they've added an accessory called "Launch package," but doesn't know what it is. I've inquired with a HMNA source to see if I can find the deets on it.
Oh this is very interesting. I work for another OEM and we recently launched a new model with "Launch Packages" too. Ours included a few accessories, but also a few special factory options that could not otherwise be ordered (like a panoramic sunroof on a lower trim, certain leather color, 2 tone roof, etc).

I'm really curious what Hyundai will offer. Just speculating, but I think they include the rollup tonneau as standard on the Launch Package. I'm excited to see what they come up with. I'm hoping it's something unique other than just an accessory package.

·
Registered
"I want my SAV!"
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Wish more auto makers did online sales like MINI and let you build your car online exactly like you want, then they build it for you and keep you in the loop the entire time on progress, completion, shipping and arrival. Pricing is clear and up front too. Manufacturer incentives can be used as well. I like that concept and it'd be nice if others offered something similar for online buyers, taking the dealership out or the purchase process and putting them in the handover process.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Wish more auto makers did online sales like MINI and let you build your car online exactly like you want, then they build it for you and keep you in the loop the entire time on progress, completion, shipping and arrival.
All OEMs offer this in some form or another... however when your done with the online configuration many require that you take "your order" to a dealer where they try to fill it using current inventory. If they can't find one in stock they should have the factory build it for you. I ordered my Dakota this way when it became obvious my dealer could not locate one that meet all my requirements. But I had to stick to my guns and reject any substitutes, then wait about 5 weeks for my truck to arrive.

Mini did pioneer the concept of making tons of configurable options online where stuff like the mirrors, roof, etc could be customized in multiple ways. It was really cool that they offered so many choices :cool:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wish more auto makers did online sales like MINI and let you build your car online exactly like you want, then they build it for you and keep you in the loop the entire time on progress, completion, shipping and arrival.
For a while Mercedes and I think BMW not only let you custom order, but would fly you out to Germany with room and board, give you a factory tour, and you could end up exporting it to the US as a "used" vehicle after driving it for a mile for cheaper than you could buy it new in the states, and they took care of everything.

The real innovation IMO is to completely abolish dealership business model entirely, in favor of manufacturer direct-to-customer sales just like Dell did for computers. Financing online takes minutes, COVID has proven that people can buy vehicles shipped to their door all done remotely, and all that massive overhead from the dealership would be gone and savings passed on to the customer. A change in government laws to allow a 3-month grace period before or after an old vehicle sale for the difference to apply to taxes on replacement would incentivize private-party sales (which are easier than ever with the internet) or to Carmax/Carvana type dealers that specialize in used vehicles of all makes. For the sake of test-drives, manufacturers could have one "show store" in each major city where you can test drive or even rent a vehicle.

Pricing should also then be fixed instead of fake inflated MSRPs, removing the stress of haggling where two different people end up paying two different prices for the same vehicle. That would make it more like an Amazon buying experience.

·
Registered
"I want my SAV!"
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Porsche has offered the fly & buy package before, although I'm not one to buy Porsches new, as you can usually buy them at a 50% discount from sticker with super low mileage in like new condition. My family has owned 5 Porsches in our lives and every one was sold after years of driving for more than we paid for them.

Interestingly enough, I used the "no haggle price" like the corporate used car sales companies have been of late to sell my MINI. I just copied their presentation, photo spreads and priced it just like they do. It sold in less than a week over full retail.

Not sure I want the Scamazon purchasing model for any of my car purchases. Their free shipping and next day delivery is built in to their higher prices; especially if you are a PRIME member (that's the locked in crowd they abuse the most by feeding their searches with higher prices). PRIME members are "paying" for quick convenience. You can almost always bet their prices going direct elsewhere or even eBay with their sales fees for sellers. I know it sounds crazy, but IME it's been true for all but a few items.

Unfortunately we all know companies will find ways to get the most money out of you they can, be it online or in a showroom. Buyer beware!

·
Registered
147 Posts
For sure, they will charge what the market will bare, but as it is right now there are a lot of costs and money going to a middle-man that simply isn't needed anymore.

Removing overhead and middle-man for direct customer sales is bound to mean more money in your pocket, as the manufacturers still compete with one another for your $.

The reason that manufacturers aren't doing this is because the dealerships have formed powerful unions that lobby the government to stop it and put in regulations that benefit and protect them. Tesla has learned this the hard way.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It sold in less than a week over full retail.
The current used market is crazy. Cars are selling for 10-30% MORE then average across the board, some models are doing even better. For example I could easily sell my C7 today for more then I bought it 2.5 years ago even with double the mileage. Its nuts! Lack of production due to shutdowns and supply chain disruptions plus people sitting on extra cash (no vacations, no dinning, limited travel last year) has flipped the entire market upside down.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The current used market is crazy. Cars are selling for 10-30% MORE then average across the board, some models are doing even better. For example I could easily sell my C7 today for more then I bought it 2.5 years ago even with double the mileage. Its nuts! Lack of production due to shutdowns and supply chain disruptions plus people sitting on extra cash (no vacations, no dinning, limited travel last year) has flipped the entire market upside down.
Def not the time to be buying used!

·
Registered
66 Posts
A few more years like the last one and America could look like the pictures from Cuba -- all 1950's cars, some still gleaming like new on the outside, but all duct tape and baling wire underneath.)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts