Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I will absolutely answer that but does anyone know what size or pipe is because I'm looking to buy something?

So the guy that I got it from didn't really say much in the form of words lol. He said that he did one Resonated delete and it sounded awesome honestly it was a nice little purr. But I wanted some growl because this is my 1st truck and I'm like f it I'll just I'll just figure it out and put it back, Is the 1st new vehicle I bought, I'm going to play around with it.

So I paid him another 100 bucks to take off what he said was the 2nd one no I don't know exactly what that dude means it's but maybe there's 2 resonators.

How does it sound it actually sounds pretty cool. It's a little bit droney it's little bit drony but not high pitched and I really like it when I let the throttle off after being high rmps And it has this like deep dog Is grumble mixed with like a water bubbles up lol. Pretty good illustration if I say so myself lol.

So for a 100 bucks I think it's totally worth it for 200 bucks I wish I would have only paid the 100 bucks.

I actually went in there to get the dudes advice on an exhaust system but I guess he can just make quick money and he said just check this out 1st.

I'm about to order an exhaust system right when I find the right size and I will keep you updated on how it sounds

·
Registered
'22 SC Limited Hampton Gray
683 Posts
@Pmoney23 so did he take off the rearmost one first? You know, the one you see from the back of the vehicle?

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm curious if a company like Gibson or Flowmaster or Borla will make and dyno an exhaust system for the SC. If it makes some gains I'd go with one, if it only makes dBs I'll pass.

I've played with exhaust quite a bit on vehicles that had aftermarket kits or through exhaust shops, but only when they increased horsepower. If I wanted loud for no purpose I'd go back to a Toyota.

·
Registered
Phantom Black Limited
224 Posts
People will say no, but there was an addendum you signed at sales that specified you will not make any modifications to the vehicles factory exhaust system. Not sure what that was for but it was just another one of those useless disclaimers you have to sign and initial

·
Registered
522 Posts
People will say no, but there was an addendum you signed at sales that specified you will not make any modifications to the vehicles factory exhaust system. Not sure what that was for but its was just another one of those useless disclaimers you have to sign and initial
That may be state specific. Some states (like California) have strict emissions requirements. Even changing an air intake will come with a sticker that it is C.A.R.B. approved for inspections. While cutting out a muffler shouldn't change emissions, it is a state that has required "caution this product contains wood dust" printed on lumber, so I'm guessing it's for them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
@Pmoney23 so did he take off the rearmost one first? You know, the one you see from the back of the vehicle?
My bad for being off on here for a hot minute.

So he actually took the one off on the back and it sounded pretty solid but he also took one off the front he said there was two and it was a little bit too much of a drone.

Since then I have an 11 inch magnaflow... It's pretty solid. Just enough to sound good. But let me see if I can find the video, I think I'm going to go with a flowmaster super 40 I like the whistle and deep growl. It's hard to find something that has the torque of our truck, and a 4-cylinder but I found this Ford that I think might sound similar and personally I like the deeper crowd of the flowmaster.

I will say I did notice more even pick up and I think even better gas mileage when I put the MagnaFlow on. So there's something to be said that if you're going to be taking off the resonated delete that it's a good idea to get a decent muffler. I'm not 100% on this but I'm pretty sure it's a two and a half inch by the way.

Last thing... You know after watching that YouTube video I kind of like the way my MagnaFlow sounds. The muffler guy said he could put all the way up to an 18 inch but it would be super quiet so the 11 inch is the lowest that it could go and it sounds good. By the way, I ended up bringing it to a different muffler shop. Some of those guys I think just make quick money off the muffler delete and can even scrap that s***. This dude seem pretty cool and told me to come back in a couple days if I didn't like it. Now it's like do I spend another 200 bucks when the MagnaFlow is pretty solid.

I think it's just one of those kind of things kind of like my subwoofers. With what compact kind of truck we have it's just a space issue with the subs. I got two 8-in jl's shallows in a box and it's pretty bumping but I miss my tens. There's just nowhere to put them. I think it's similar to the engine that at the end of the day even though that bad boy is freaking awesome it's still a 4 cylinder lol. But it does purr pretty well right now.

Straight up just this morning can't make this up, saw my ex come to the gym this morning for a yoga class. Awkward AF... But she did park right next to my new Santa Cruz and didn't know it was mine...we left the yoga class and it did sound pretty sexy when I started it up. She was sitting in her car parked right next to mine. P-Money for the win 💰

Side note my bad about forgetting to post a sound clip it's always just late whenever I get on here so if I try and remember I'll catch one of the magnaflow. Stay posted!

·
Registered
101 Posts
That may be state specific. Some states (like California) have strict emissions requirements. Even changing an air intake will come with a sticker that it is C.A.R.B. approved for inspections. While cutting out a muffler shouldn't change emissions, it is a state that has required "caution this product contains wood dust" printed on lumber, so I'm guessing it's for them.
Changing muffler or deleting resonator does nothing to emissions.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Changing muffler or deleting resonator does nothing to emissions.
Practically it shouldn't, that doesn't stop super liberal environmental laws from requiring no changes or certified parts only. In theory it changes back pressure which could affect catalytic converter efficiency or engine performance which could change emissions.

If a cat-back system on V8s provides more horsepower as the manufacturers' sharpie squiggles indicate, they are definitely changing something in the way the engine is using fuel, which means emissions have changed.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Practically it shouldn't, that doesn't stop super liberal environmental laws from requiring no changes or certified parts only. In theory it changes back pressure which could affect catalytic converter efficiency or engine performance which could change emissions.

If a cat-back system on V8s provides more horsepower as the manufacturers' sharpie squiggles indicate, they are definitely changing something in the way the engine is using fuel, which means emissions have changed.
Except for noise laws, it will pass smog with no muffler at all just cat.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts