Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
SEL 2.5 Non-Turbo AWD with Activity package
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had temporary glitches with my SC, such as the scary loss of power when trying to accelerate, but no out-and-out failure - until now (4500 miles). Temps dropped and I got the expected TPMS low pressure warnings. Topped off and found the TPMS sensor would not re-adjust the pressure readings. Three tries - no go. The main sensor unit seems to have failed. So now I have to clear the annoying warning screen every time I start up. I hadn't planned a return to the dealership (changing my own oil), but it looks like I'll still need to go now. Getting panel announcements about service due in a few days so I guess I'll go in. Anyone else had this failure?

· Registered
2022 Stone Blue SEL AWD
103 Posts
Had a different problem yesterday, low air alarm in one tire. Air up all tires and still had light on dash, and I'm not smart enough to figure how to reset anything. Thanks to looking in the forum a few minutes I found out that I didn't put enough air in the tires, so after I put at least 36 psi in all the tires it did reset itself. Was not very happy for a while.

· Registered
2022 SEL Sage Gray (non turbo)
375 Posts
Low air light for all 4 tires came on mine as well, my magic number for the light to go off was 34psi. It took about 5 minutes of driving for the light to go off.
The 5 - 15 minute drive time is normal for a lot of manufacturers. Just need to make sure to give it some time.

On my Honda Ridgeline took for a 15 min drive. Got home still now update? Waited 1/2 hour went back and started the truck all was normal.

Gusto!

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
35 on all wheels didn't re-set mine, evenafter a 30 minute drive. And I used two different gauges to make sure. Even with all at 35 the individual readings on panel stayed at 31-32

· Registered
497 Posts
I own a shop, install tires by the hundreds. I've not seen any vehicle in the last 15-20 years that took 5 minutes to update tpms. They may say that in the manual as a cya deal. But if it's taking 30 minutes to update then your leaking tire on the interstate may get you killed before you get a light. Defeats the safety purpose of even having tpms. Most don't require driving at all. They will update just sitting on the lift as you add air. When you turn your key on, the vehicle triggers the sensors. Change to rims with no sensors and you get chimes within 10 seconds of startup.... because the vehicle trigger the sensors.

The older units did take an annoying amount of time. And did have to be moving. And rotating tires was a pia because you had to trigger the sensors to tell the vehicle which tire was where. (Especially GM) I haven't seen any of that in many years.

Honda I don't know about. I don't deal with many of those. Not many people upgrading wheels or having me mount snow tires on them. Subaru, Toyota, GM, Ford and Mopar I see daily

All of that said, any tire shop can trigger the sensor manually and see what the sensor is telling the car that it has. Battery life, temp, and psi. Takes 10 seconds. Will tell you what the car is receiving.

I'm pretty sure I've been told the Cruz doesn't have tpms in the spare. Verify that too. Many newer cars do. They all should

· Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE NA-FWD In Idaho
1,291 Posts
I've had temporary glitches with my SC, such as the scary loss of power when trying to accelerate, but no out-and-out failure - until now (4500 miles). Temps dropped and I got the expected TPMS low pressure warnings. Topped off and found the TPMS sensor would not re-adjust the pressure readings. Three tries - no go. The main sensor unit seems to have failed. So now I have to clear the annoying warning screen every time I start up. I hadn't planned a return to the dealership (changing my own oil), but it looks like I'll still need to go now. Getting panel announcements about service due in a few days so I guess I'll go in. Anyone else had this failure?
I get the hesitation..Daily! you never know when
So I've got used to giving it a little gas to know if I can jump out into Traffic...it also seems to clear up the hesitation..before making my commitment to either die or get lucky....
No other troubles tho...7600mi

· Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
1,963 Posts
I get the hesitation..Daily! you never know when
So I've got used to giving it a little gas to know if I can jump out into Traffic...it also seems to clear up the hesitation..before making my commitment to either die or get lucky....
No other troubles tho...7600mi
I've only had a very short hesitation a few times when I have braked and the transmission has downshifting, then hit the gas hard. In those cases it appears to be the gear shifting direction change that requires a very slight hesitation, which is somewhat common. Never have I had it hesitate or loss of power and not go, creating a danger.

I only drive in Normal and Sport Mode, and haven't even played with Smart mode. I find my SEL AWD Non-Turbo does best when you use a steady increasing gas peddle, rather than a to the floor mash. Mashing the gas peddle can also cause an initial short hesitation as it downshifts to lower gears and increases the RPM's to redline.

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE: Problem solved. I was told by a service tech where I bought the SC to fill the tires up to 40 lbs. to reset the TPMS sensor. It worked! Going up to about 37 psi didn't do it. Then I had to turn the vehicle on and drive a short distance for the sensors to actually update. Now I have to consider if I should bring that pressure back down a bit, as it will go up as I drive and the tires heat up. What's a safe upper limit for these tires? Unfortunately, after the sensor updated, the low pressure errors showing on the display disappeared, but now no pressures are displayed, so there's no way to test how much the pressure rises after a drive, except to get out and measure them manually at each tire. Maybe after I do a longer drive the pressures will return to the display? I live at 7,000' MSL and people always talk about how the pressure up here is lower, and that effects pressure readings, But as a pilot I'm well aware of that, and 40 psi is 40 psi, no matter where you are when you get that reading, it just takes a longer time to reach that pressure when filling at my elevation, as there are fewer air molecules per volume than at sea level. So what part of this system is suffering from inaccuracies? It must be something in the main sensor, and not the individual wheel units. I will probably back the pressures off to around 38 and see if I get errors again. I don't want to prematurely wear out the tire crowns with excessive inflation. Will report back if I discover anything useful.

PS> I told the dealer my panel was informing me that I was just days away from needing service. Told them I was at about 4500 miles, but I wouldn't be needing an oil change, as I do my own, and in fact I had already done a change at 1500 mi., when I also changed to full-synth. They gave me the big sales talk about how I should let them do it because the first 3 were free, and I got whoopie extras like a free wiper fluid refill. I'm telling you - these people go all out to p[lease! I was inspired.

I told them that, other than the TPMS sensor issue the only other problem I had was that I had triggered the AC bed circuit breaker right after I bought the truck, and could they reset it for me. The tech said he would have to consult with somebody to find out how to do that. ???? I was further inspired. I added these incentives to the warm feelings I experienced when they gouged me $3K over sticker at purchase and turned me into a devoted customer.

· Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE NA-FWD In Idaho
1,291 Posts
I've only had a very short hesitation a few times when I have braked and the transmission has downshifting, then hit the gas hard. In those cases it appears to be the gear shifting direction change that requires a very slight hesitation, which is somewhat common. Never have I had it hesitate or loss of power and not go, creating a danger.

I only drive in Normal and Sport Mode, and haven't even played with Smart mode. I find my SEL AWD Non-Turbo does best when you use a steady increasing gas peddle, rather than a to the floor mash. Mashing the gas peddle can also cause an initial short hesitation as it downshifts to lower gears and increases the RPM's to redline.
I guess what I'm doing to get past the hesitation is loading it up(power braking a little) to make sure the power is there before I commit to entering oncoming traffic. Mine does it on take-off also..Is it downshifting from a standstill?? I would think it's already in 1st.

· Registered
497 Posts
What's a safe upper limit for these tires?
The upper limit is stamped on every tire. I own a shop and install tires. Some people want you to go by the tires stated max. Some people want to go by the door stated psi.

Assuming the car is remotely stock and the tires are close to stock size and load range, tech school will tell you to go by the door placard.

Of course if you add 200 lb of tire and wheel, 38x12.50s, a 1k lb dump bed and 500lb brush guard and winch, then you should add some psi to the tires.

· Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
1,963 Posts
I guess what I'm doing to get past the hesitation is loading it up(power braking a little) to make sure the power is there before I commit to entering oncoming traffic. Mine does it on take-off also..Is it downshifting from a standstill?? I would think it's already in 1st.
I have none this hesitation you speak of. Might be time to take it in and demonstrate your issue to the dealer.

· Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Limitied (black/black)
148 Posts
My sensors went off last week, just after it was at the dealer for an oil change. I think perhaps they goofed and reset them all to 32psi and then the cold weather dropped them to 27. I had no problems at all last winter. So I filled them to the required 35psi all around and the warning went off by itself immediately.

· Registered
76 Posts
UPDATE: Problem solved. I was told by a service tech where I bought the SC to fill the tires up to 40 lbs. to reset the TPMS sensor. It worked! Going up to about 37 psi didn't do it. Then I had to turn the vehicle on and drive a short distance for the sensors to actually update. Now I have to consider if I should bring that pressure back down a bit, as it will go up as I drive and the tires heat up. What's a safe upper limit for these tires? Unfortunately, after the sensor updated, the low pressure errors showing on the display disappeared, but now no pressures are displayed, so there's no way to test how much the pressure rises after a drive, except to get out and measure them manually at each tire. Maybe after I do a longer drive the pressures will return to the display? I live at 7,000' MSL and people always talk about how the pressure up here is lower, and that effects pressure readings, But as a pilot I'm well aware of that, and 40 psi is 40 psi, no matter where you are when you get that reading, it just takes a longer time to reach that pressure when filling at my elevation, as there are fewer air molecules per volume than at sea level. So what part of this system is suffering from inaccuracies? It must be something in the main sensor, and not the individual wheel units. I will probably back the pressures off to around 38 and see if I get errors again. I don't want to prematurely wear out the tire crowns with excessive inflation. Will report back if I discover anything useful.

PS> I told the dealer my panel was informing me that I was just days away from needing service. Told them I was at about 4500 miles, but I wouldn't be needing an oil change, as I do my own, and in fact I had already done a change at 1500 mi., when I also changed to full-synth. They gave me the big sales talk about how I should let them do it because the first 3 were free, and I got whoopie extras like a free wiper fluid refill. I'm telling you - these people go all out to p[lease! I was inspired.

I told them that, other than the TPMS sensor issue the only other problem I had was that I had triggered the AC bed circuit breaker right after I bought the truck, and could they reset it for me. The tech said he would have to consult with somebody to find out how to do that. ???? I was further inspired. I added these incentives to the warm feelings I experienced when they gouged me $3K over sticker at purchase and turned me into a devoted customer.
Interesting. Mine were low last week (and the light went on), but the light went off when I reset to about 33 psi (the computer says the tires are 31-32).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts