Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

An Other Audio Source for Music while Driving

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  drdreamzz 
#1 · (Edited)
CarPlay is not the only in car audio source available for iPhone users. Amazon allows access to music you once purchased. Once that meant the ability to download to a computer the MP3 files of an album you may have given as a gift. That appears to have changed. At present I must get the Amazon Music app. for my phone and download music in my library to the app. After doing that, I got into my SC SEL. The Amazon Music app. now appears on the screen with the other apps. I started my downloaded album playing on my phone. The Infotainment Center connected to it and the music in the app. plays through the Infotainment Center just as in CarPlay.

The album is Messiah by Händel as performed by Eugene Ormandy. More than ten years ago I had purchased copies of that album to give to the preschool teachers at our church one Christmas. When my kids gave me an Alexa I was able hear it myself for the first time. Then the Alexa app. changed and it no longer allowed playing an album from start to finish, but all bands on an album are shuffled together with selections from other music albums. I wanted to hear this album with all selections in their original succession. Now I can.

#2 ·
Thanks, seems like a solution only limited by the capacity of one’s phone. My one pet peeve is that there should be more than one live USB port in the SC. (Not a “charging only port.”) I have a bare bones iPhone and would like to use both CarPlay and a thumb drive with my music files at the same time. Having a second fully functional USB port would have allowed me to keep a drive plugged in at all times on my Limited.

#4 · (Edited)
I have a bare bones iPhone and would like to use both CarPlay and a thumb drive with my music files at the same time. Having a second fully functional USB port would have allowed me to keep a drive plugged in at all times on my Limited.
My SEL is lower on the status pole than your Limited, yet my iPhone X connects to CarPlay wirelessly. That leaves the data USB port available for a thumb drive, and I could do what you wish to do. Your Limited connects to the phone by wire, I believe; and, that takes up real estate in your USB outlets.

As regards capacity on the phone. My phone is going on six years old. When I check unused memory storage I still have about half of the phone available and unused. My phone certainly is not the biggest phone that was available, either.

I suppose an advantage of what I suggested with something like the Amazon Music app. is that it connects without CarPlay. I suppose it uses a Bluetooth connection. That should help when CarPlay decides not to connect. That would not help with the maps, but perhaps Phone Projection would help there.

#3 ·
Ewen Mee, have you tried using a 2 or 3 port usb splitter or USB hub type of device? I would think this might work….at least you may want to try it, unless you are aware of a reason not to? It may not be the most esthetic looking solution….but you might be able to find something that is not too obtrusive.

#6 ·
It was a little difficult to discern all of the details, at least for me. My Infotainment Center has the smaller screen. A menu screen shows available apps. The Amazon Music app. was shown at the end of the second screen. I was able to check the Apple Music app. It was cued up with other music, but not playing. I saw an “Apple CarPlay” header there. I did not see it with the Amazon Music display. I assume it was not using CarPlay, but Bluetooth. The point was that there are other ways when CarPlay does not want to co-operate.

#7 ·
It is the interface of apple carplay with your infotainment that allows the applications to be present on the screen. Otherwise you would be limited to radio (AM, FM, SiriusXM) and usb attached media-be it thumb drive, ipod, etc. a few manufacturers tried proprietary systems with a couple of music apps (eg: i-heart radio, etc) prior to carplay (and android auto) like JEEP/chrysler but with the penetration of the latter it makes no sense.

you can download several music apps for free (Spotify, live to live, etc) in addition to amazon, Apple Music, etc.

#9 ·
For the folks without wireless CarPlay, the Ottocast Wireless CarPlay adapter is on Prime Early Access for $69.95 on Amazon. It still takes up your USB, but it's fast and flawless. My phone stays in my pocket and I have CarPlay every time. It's very small too, and tucks up under the console. Amazon

Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Automotive design Fixture Automotive mirror

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.