Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason, sun/moonroofs have become standard on the higher trims of many cars/trucks. I would be happy if I could opt out.

A sunroof adds a lot of weight up high, shifting the center of gravity so much that, in some vehicles, it can only be used with the counter-weight of a 4/all-wheel drivetrain.

Sunroofs, when they are options, are expensive.

The first time I had a car with a sunroof, it seemed like a pretty snazzy item -- I could look up and see the clouds (or the moon and stars.) As you can imagine, the 'new' wore off of that pretty quick!

I have only found one real use for a sunroof: to vent the hot air out of the cabin -- the very same hot air which was created by the 'solar heater' in the ceiling. Depending on how far north you live, this feature might be a bonus for some part of the year.

In my Element, the sunroof has no inside sliding cover. It is above the rear seat area and passengers always complain about the sun shining directly down onto them. I added dark tint but that simply made the glass itself as hot as a pancake griddle -- they weren't any happier having that hotplate a couple of inches above their heads! Many do have inside slides to block the light, but what is the point of it if you need to keep it closed. The one positive point it had -- the view -- is then gone.

I suspect that the real purpose of sunroofs is only for car dealers: to brighten the interior of otherwise gloomy passenger cabins while potential buyers are shopping.

So, whadaya think? Other than sightseeing on a trip to a national park with neck-craning views like Arches, Bryce, or the Redwoods, what redeeming points do sunroofs have?

Reactions: JASmith and JMII

·
Registered
150 Posts
You nailed it - a sunroof seems like a nice feature but in the end you pretty much never use it. I've had several vehicles with sunroofs, including the wife's current car... its just a novelty that quickly wears off. And this is coming from someone in FL where the weather means you could use it about 4 months a year. I've never needed to see what is above me while driving. As you mentioned venting out hot air and brightening up the interior are the only advantages. I pretty much just used mine to increase air flow in the cabin without putting the windows down which gets noisy. Similar to leather seats the sunroof become a "luxury" item apparently added to vehicles purely for the up-sell. They can break and leak so long term (if you can) opt-out, you will not be missing much.

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Equinox LT AWD 1.5T, 2012 Dodge Journey CVP, 1997 GMC C1500 5.0L 2WD
23 Posts
I have always hated on sunroofs, for many reasons. Reduced headroom is one. Eventually, they ALL leak and cause issues. Any time I'm driving a vehicle with a sunroof, I close the cover, if there is one, because I hate having sun blasting the back of my glasses through it. And the number of times I've heard of people forgetting them open and coming out to a really soaked interior after a rain storm ... yeah, not a fan. But the only way around it in Canada is the base model. Which wouldn't be so bad, but there are a few options in the Trend package I really want - like the digital dash and adaptive cruise ... but that also comes with a sunroof and leather seats. I'm not big on leather seats either. I've rarely sat in a set that I found more comfortable than the cloth options in the same vehicle.

I wish the old days of being able to factory order just the options you wanted were still here. I hate getting saddled with "features" I don't want just to get the ones I do.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I wish the old days of being able to factory order just the options you wanted were still here. I hate getting saddled with "features" I don't want just to get the ones I do.
The economies of scale have made customizing certain options just too pricey. However on the Maverick the sunroof is a separate option that isn't bundled so apparently Ford's market research pointed them in the right direction. In another post some of us noted that the Asia automakers (Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, etc) tend to do these trim packages with locked in choices where the US manufactures have traditionally been more flexible in what can be added or removed. So this is clearly a corporate mind set on how best to configure, sell and build vehicles for the masses.

A sunroof is a pretty big production change, its not like bolting down a different seat on the assembly line, so having it as a stand alone option must be challenging.

·
Registered
23 Posts
A sunroof is a pretty big production change, its not like bolting down a different seat on the assembly line, so having it as a stand alone option must be challenging.
Agreed. Then there are the things that make no sense, because from a production standpoint, they don't make a big difference. IE: a couple of years ago I was looking at compact cars. Accent/Rio/Micra sized stuff. Using those three specifically as examples, I wanted a couple of basic "must haves" - manual transmission, cruise, and air conditioning. Of them, the Rio was the only I could get AC and cruise on with a manual transmission. The Micra required the CVT to get air conditioning. The Accent, same story. Automatic to get AC. To the Hyundai dealer's credit, they DID suggest I could have the AC dealer-installed before delivery and covered by factory warranty. In every case though, the motor is identical between the manual and auto transmission options ... sooooooooooooooooooooooooo why can't you get a manual with air conditioning?? Makes zero sense - especially when the dealer is able to install the factory parts to get the job done. (In case you haven't guessed, I'm saddened by the death of manual transmissions ... even if today's automatics are more efficient. They're just less fun. Especially in small cars with small engines. I'm hoping that wet DCT responds well to the flappy paddle shifters!)

·
Registered
"I want my SAV!"
141 Posts
Enjoyed convertibles and sunroofs when I was younger and used them as intended often. Now that I'm up there in years, the heat from the sun isn't something I enjoy as much. I can recall leaks and wind noise issues form aging sunroofs, as well as electrical and cable failures that where a real PITA to fix yourself. Also it's very expensive to have the dealer do sunroof repairs. Going with a non-sunroof model myself for all the reasons mentioned here and above.

Reactions: Walking Black Bear

·
Registered
147 Posts
The economies of scale have made customizing certain options just too pricey. However on the Maverick the sunroof is a separate option that isn't bundled so apparently Ford's market research pointed them in the right direction. In another post some of us noted that the Asia automakers (Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, etc) tend to do these trim packages with locked in choices where the US manufactures have traditionally been more flexible in what can be added or removed. So this is clearly a corporate mind set on how best to configure, sell and build vehicles for the masses.

I disagree, as they are making non sunroof bodies one way or another, so it really is about bolting in different interior bits that differentiate trims. If they can offer top trims of a Kia Seltoa with and without sunrood cheaply, they could do the same with the SC.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh boy! In that "Tucson Limited Detailed Interior Review" video, it looks like the sunroof is a picture window taking up about half of the ceiling.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Y’all need to stop buying garbage cars. After a decade without one, a sunroof is absolutely on my spec list. Biggest mistake we made to save money. I will not buy another car without one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Y’all need to stop buying garbage cars. After a decade without one, a sunroof is absolutely on my spec list. Biggest mistake we made to save money. I will not buy another car without one.
And if you like them, that's great. I just hate having a feature forced on me that I don't like or appreciate in any meaningful way. Sorry, but there are plenty of "garbage cars" out there WITH sunroofs. One has absolutely zero bearing on the other.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts