Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Great to hear about the tires. I'm just about sold on the Open Country. I also remember you say that you only painted the chrome surface of the wheels, not the entire wheel. I started to tape off the wheels but both painters tape and masking tape wouldn't stick at all on the black part of the wheel. What did you use to tape off the wheels?
Sounds like the wheels still have some kind of coating from factory/dealer. It's probably on the shiny metallic surfaces, too. You'll have to remove it before painting. You could try Dawn dish washing liquid first, then maybe naptha, acetone, or lacquer thinner,

·
Registered
316 Posts
I always thought you folks in the Northern climes used crappy old steel wheels with your snow tires because they would get so beat up over the winter. I guess that notion is wrong...?
I always get steelies with my winters, I think majority of drives here does as well… always down side the rims an inch or two from OEM - if I can, narrower winters as well…

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,230 Posts
So far, granted it's only dry pavement and wet pavement tested so far, I'm very much liking the Goodyear WinterCommand Ultras. They are very quiet - every bit as quiet as the factory Michelins - track nicely, smooth with the extra sidewall going with 18s from the factory 20s, and driving through storms for a couple of hours tonight (including a tornado watch ... very odd for this area at this time of year!) they are pretty awesome in wet conditions. Even hitting some decent strips of water at highway speed, no hydroplaning or hard pulling on the steering. Now I just need to see how they are in ice and snow, but I'm willing to wait as long as nature allows for that. :)

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,188 Posts
Has anyone tried any Method rims yet? The 502 Rally comes in a 17x8.0" 5x114.3mm +38mm/6.10" and 67.1mm center bore, 24.6lbs., 1850lb Max Load.
https://www.methodracewheels.com/co...products/mr502-rally-bronze?variant=960922109
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim

They come in: Gold, Matte Black, Method Bronze and Titanium.

Looking through their offerings I don't see any 18x8.0-9.0" 5x114.3mm(4.5")

I'm always weighing style against ease of cleaning, because I hate cleaning wheels.

ADDED: I see America's Tire now lists this rim in 18x8" 5x144.3 at 28.7lbs and 1850lb load capacity, but only in black.
Discount Tire | Tires and Wheels for Sale | Online & In-Person

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Black Rhino Arches is nice too.
Arches Truck Rims by Black Rhino
Wheel Automotive tire Hubcap Rim Automotive design

Comes in 18x8" 5x114.3mm 30mm Offset 5.680 Back Spacing 76.1mm Center Bore Load 2000lb Weight 29lbs.

ADDED: These beauties might be The Bomb with the mystery fender flares that Hyundai has teased us with, but not delivered even a picture of yet. Waiting...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I'm not up to date on what is considered light weight for truck 18 x 8" wheels.

What do the stock 18 inchers weigh in at and what is their load capacity?

I'm a looooooong way off from replacing my stock 18x7" 51mm offset 5x114.3mm(4.5") 67.1mm center bore wheels, but would really like to know the weight and load capacity as well.

I see the Black Rhino Boxers are now offered in 18x8" 5x114.3 weighing in at 25.5lbs with a load capacity of 1250lbs.
Discount Tire | Tires and Wheels for Sale | Online & In-Person
Rim Auto part Spoke Circle Font

Offered in Gunblack and Gloss Gold. Too bad they aren't offered in Bronze.

·
Registered
808 Posts
OMG, are wheel prices also this high now?!?

So I was curious what my own wheels weighed that I got from Tirerack for the Ram, as I recall they were the heaviest I had ever considered, and I couldn't even install them myself it was such a beast.

Went to my order history, and pre-pandemic 2019 I paid $183 per wheel for 20x9 Moto Metals, now the exact same wheel they have for sale for $311. 170% price increase. :eek:

Anyway, in 18x9 size they are also 29lbs. Perhaps like you say for load rating they have to be heavier. The ones for our fiat in 16" were 13.8lbs and the Vette were 21lbs for 18x9.5.

They do have a lot of lighter wheels for the Santa Fe under 20lbs for example (don't have Santa Cruz or Tucson yet):

·
Registered
316 Posts
Black Rhino Arches is nice too.
Arches Truck Rims by Black Rhino

Comes in 18x8" 5x114.3mm 30mm Offset 5.680 Back Spacing 76.1mm Center Bore Load 2000lb Weight 29lbs.

ADDED: These beauties might be The Bomb with the mystery fender flares that Hyundai has teased us with, but not delivered even a picture of yet. Waiting...
29lb is with in the ball park. I’m going to guess that the OEM 20” is heavier, I was surprised how heavy they were when I first picked them up. The winter rims I picked up were 25lb I believe.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The old Light/Strong/Cheap rule seems to apply once again. Pick 2 out of the 3!

Light & Strong, NOT Cheap
Cheap & Strong, NOT Light
Light & Cheap, NOT Strong

These are crazy expensive, but super light weight. Don't know their load rating.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

I'm leaning towards Bronze or Bronze & Black on a Blue Stone SC with AT's down the road. The Gold seems a little too bright for me.

I like these new Rough Country Centerline 850BZ RT5 wheels look, but they don't make them in 18x8 5x4.5, although these may be heavy.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hubcap Tread

Liking the Black with Bronze ring better than the Bronze with Black ring that is more common.

ADDED: Might have to email Rough Country/Centerline, Method and Black Rhino; and tell them about the new 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz...

·
Registered
808 Posts
The old Light/Strong/Cheap rule seems to apply once again. Pick 2 out of the 3!

Light & Strong, NOT Cheap
Cheap & Strong, NOT Light
Light & Cheap, NOT Strong

These are crazy expensive, but super light weight. Don't know their load rating.
View attachment 4213
I'm leaning towards Bronze or Bronze & Black on a Blue Stone SC with AT's down the road. The Gold seems a little too bright for me.

I like these new Rough Country Centerline 850BZ RT5 wheels look, but they don't make them in 18x8 5x4.5, although these may be heavy.
View attachment 4214
Liking the Black with Bronze ring better than the Bronze with Black ring that is more common.
Sometimes I think you pay for the name too, and knockoffs can be decent enough. Like these are clearly less expensive clones of the ones you posted and not that heavy:
Automotive tire Font Wheel Rim Screenshot

If I had a Hampton Gray SC, I'd probably go with these, as it has the triangle motif within the design, is only 21lbs, color would match well, and a set of four for $670 isn't bad with a lot of positive reviews:
Automotive tire Font Wheel Rim Circle

61 - 80 of 106 Posts