Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE NA-FWD
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It doesn't happen all the time but it seems to happen at the worst times.. a couple times I thought I might not make it into the lane in time...because of the the SC just does nothing...
It's what we call a flat spot or dead spot...when giving gas and nothing happens...
I test drove a Brand New Tucson turbo in 2017 that did the same thing.. And thats on reason I didn't buy it..
In the past the Hyundai's were known for the jumpy throttle and now it's a flat spot in acceleration that could cause an accident.

Anyone else?
And Yes I've tried all driving modes...Normal-Smart-Sport

·
Registered
SEL Premium Hampton Grey
132 Posts
I wonder if using the paddle shifters to down shift a gear would help. I am guessing that the transmission is hunting for the correct gear and that is what is causing the dead spot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It doesn't happen all the time but it seems to happen at the worst times.. a couple times I thought I might not make it into the lane in time...because of the the SC just does nothing...
It's what we call a flat spot or dead spot...when giving gas and nothing happens...
I test drove a Brand New Tucson turbo in 2017 that did the same thing.. And thats on reason I didn't buy it..
In the past the Hyundai's were known for the jumpy throttle and now it's a flat spot in acceleration that could cause an accident.

Anyone else?
yes mine lags in smart mode

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the turbo and it sputters when it takes off - more often than not. Wife refers to it as feeling like a horse pawing the ground when taking off. All in all it's not enjoyable and it does it in Normal, Sport and Smart.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine is doing it more and more...if I pump my foot a little it helps.. For me this is dangerous, If I'm to get into moving traffic and this thing falls on its face before taking off, I could be a casualty of the road and this isn't acceptable, I'm going to have to take it in.
But with the track record of the dealerships fixing any bugs, I might be stuck with it

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not that this will help...
But 87 octane for an engine with 13 to 1 compression ratio???
Most likely they have the 2.5 NA detuned so much that this could be the problem'
So I'm going to try 91 octane for the next few tanks but without some way for the engine to know I'm running higher octane I doubt this will help much.. but we will see.
When some kind of tuner comes out I might try that.

·
Registered
184 Posts
@CASD has a conventional automatic and this is the first time that I have heard about strange behavior from that drivetrain. It might be a safety issue and you should make sure that your dealer knows about this. Maybe there is a fix.

Some other owner's odd acceleration experiences are due to Hyundai's DCT issues. That transmission is known for jerky operation and delayed engagement, particularly at slow speeds.

It sounds like Hyundai has a way to go to equal the performance of most modern drivetrains, which is very disappointing to me as a potential buyer. If I didn't have a loud exhaust on my current truck it would be difficult to even tell when it shifts and there are absolutely no acceleration delays.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@CASD has a conventional automatic and this is the first time that I have heard about strange behavior from that drivetrain. It might be a safety issue and you should make sure that your dealer knows about this. Maybe there is a fix.

Some other owner's odd acceleration experiences are due to Hyundai's DCT issues. That transmission is known for jerky operation and delayed engagement, particularly at slow speeds.

It sounds like Hyundai has a way to go to equal the performance of most modern drivetrains, which is very disappointing to me as a potential buyer. If I didn't have a loud exhaust on my current truck it would be difficult to even tell when it shifts and there are absolutely no acceleration delays.
Hopefully, the change in fuel will help..but I doubt it, but I'm willing to try as my faith in a Hyundai dealership finding the problem is near "0"
If not fixed this will make me question my choice of small trucks... and limit this one's time with me...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hopefully, the change in fuel will help..but I doubt it, but I'm willing to try as my faith in a Hyundai dealership finding the problem is near "0"
If not fixed this will make me question my choice of small trucks... and limit this one's time with me...
Yeah - I also doubt that a dealership would have much chance of figuring this one out.

That isn't something that I would be able to accept in one of my vehicles. Maybe there will be a Raptor version of the Maverick or I will like the next gen Tacoma. There are a several basic quality lapses in that beautiful SC that makes me question whether it is for me or not.

I would be amazed if the higher octane fuel helps, but I guess you never know.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
This is a first I’m hearing lag issue with a standard transmission, as @SantaCruzFan noted, a bit of lag at crawl speed is not unheard of with the DCT.
doesn’t hurt to see what happens with 91, but I thinks it’s a transmission issue.
I’ve had lagging issue with my Veloster DCT at 60,000km Hyundai did replace it with a new one under warranty. Day after I dropped it off, they called and said Hyundai Canada will be replacing it. Didn’t have to fight for it at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Anyone else?
The most often-cited reason that drivers of automatic cars should still use one foot is the idea that, if you use both feet and accidentally step on both pedals at once, you can do serious damage to your car — specifically, putting strain on the torque converter

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The most often-cited reason that drivers of automatic cars should still use one foot is the idea that, if you use both feet and accidentally step on both pedals at once, you can do serious damage to your car — specifically, putting strain on the torque converter
I've been driving with two feet almost 50 years,,, I think I'm a little more Cordinated than that LOL

·
Registered
2022 SC Limited, Black
141 Posts
I have noticed that when I tried to double-foot the turbo, it falls flat. I realized that the DCT doesn't have a torque converter, it has a clutch. So it won't let the car pull against the clutch, and kills the throttle command.
The car comes off the line much quicker with just stabbing the gas than trying to "launch" it.

·
Read Only
161 Posts
I have noticed that when I tried to double-foot the turbo, it falls flat. I realized that the DCT doesn't have a torque converter, it has a clutch. So it won't let the car pull against the clutch, and kills the throttle command.
The car comes off the line much quicker with just stabbing the gas than trying to "launch" it.
same, I tried to footbrake it and get the turbo to spool up a bit and launch hard and the DCT wont let it happen. other cars with DCT can do it but that's due to their advanced launch control and turbo control electronics. it could be added to the SC but i'm sure it wouldn't be cheap.

·
Registered
2022 SC Limited, Black
141 Posts
other cars with DCT can do it but that's due to their advanced launch control
In the vast majority of cars the 'launch control' is a gimmick that has no application in the real world. Stop, hit some buttons, shift a certain way, etc etc. It's not something you can use when waiting to turn right at a stop sign.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts