Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Limitied (black/black)
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't decide if I should line the bed or just start scratching it up now and get it over with. What is everyone thinking?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I pick mine up this week and am wondering the same thing. Not really very fond of the Hyundai bed mat and would like to find a removable rubber one instead. For now I'll probably use moving blankets under anything that might scratch. The first scratch, ding, chip, or dent is always sooooo painful.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have the bed mat. Fits well and doesn't hinder the brunk opening. I just attach the clips near front of SC and not rear ones since it is too much hassle to keep unclipping to access the brunk. Very light plasticy material. It gives me piece of mind in not damaging the bed.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have the bed mat. Fits well and doesn't hinder the brunk opening. I just attach the clips near front of SC and not rear ones since it is too much hassle to keep unclipping to access the brunk. Very light plasticy material. It gives me piece of mind in not damaging the bed.
Seems like its not anti-slip though from what I heard, just a warning for those expecting a rubbery type of mat. Doesn't look really friendly for the knees either for those expecting cushion. There are universal traditional rubber mats that you could probably DIY, but you'd need to either make a hinge and ensure its not overly heavy, or just relegate the Brunk to emergency supplies storage.

Only problem is that doesn't protect the tailgate.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Seems like its not anti-slip though from what I heard, just a warning for those expecting a rubbery type of mat. Doesn't look really friendly for the knees either for those expecting cushion. There are universal traditional rubber mats that you could probably DIY, but you'd need to either make a hinge and ensure its not overly heavy, or just relegate the Brunk to emergency supplies storage.

Only problem is that doesn't protect the tailgate.
It actually is not bad on the knees and heavy stuff won't slide. Light stuff will slide around. Kind of pricey for what it is, but I am satisfied with it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I hate the bed matt. Highly regret buying it. Things to consider:

1) it is more of a hard plastic and not very soft and thus doesn't work best to prevent things from moving around
2) the bed mat has line/hinge in it to allow the brunk to open. When trying to slide things into the bed they always get hung up on the line/hinge. Really big PITA to get things slid in all the way, especially for heavy items.
3) If putting bikes in the bed (with the front tire hanging over the tailgate) the bed matt takes about an inch between the bed and the tonnuea cover which for me means I can only fit two bikes (because they have to be angled more) vs three bikes without the bed matt

IMO the bed matt is expensive and a PITA for what ever "protection" you get.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You bought a "truck" to carry crap in it that you don't want in the vehicles cabin, treat the bed like a truck. These comments are coming from owning a Subaru Baja with a plastic bed for fifteen years of hauling crap, used car and motorcycle parts and any other piece of junk or scrap metal and the bed was still in very good shape after fifteen years of abuse. The only thing I don't like about my Santa Cruz is the "brunk", hauling any type of dirt or stone will end up leaving small pieces in the brunk seams.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes, it's a "truck", but not a "work truck". And I don't know enough about Hyundai's composite bed to know how well it will hold up. ****, in my Ram 1500 I added a spay-in bed-liner AND a Weathertech Bed Mat in my $65K truck because I wanted it to stay looking like a $65K truck.

Now, as for the Hyundai bed mat? Mine came as part of the Cargo Package, so didn't have a choice, and for what it is, it's fine. It's not rubbery, but heavier items won't move around, and it should protect the floor of the bed just fine. However, they are on the expensive side for what you do get, so it may be worth waiting to see if others will make one for it as long as you don't plan on hauling around a bunch of stuff immediately. Otherwise, lay down some blankets to protect the bed.

At the end of the day, I want to try to keep the bed of my SC looking as nice as the rest of the truck. She's too **** pretty to get all scuffed up!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
The one I think I'm getting (the already worthless reservation site now seems completely broken so my name isn't on it with Hyundai anyway) has the cargo package and bed extender included, so I don't know that I'll have a choice. I was disappointed to hear that it was a hard plastic, as I did want something to keep stuff from sliding around in the bed. I might try to do a rubberized undercoating or bedliner treatment on the bed mat to see if I can make it grippy since I'll have it anyway.

I am surprised to hear it takes up an inch of vertical room. I didn't think it would be that thick.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not exact in terms of fit but for heavy items with metal edges or high psi footprints I grabbed a washer tray someone was tossing out. It is old, quick search didn't turn up any that were made out of the same felt/composite type material, just plastic and metal

·
Registered
153 Posts
The one I think I'm getting (the already worthless reservation site now seems completely broken so my name isn't on it with Hyundai anyway) has the cargo package and bed extender included, so I don't know that I'll have a choice. I was disappointed to hear that it was a hard plastic, as I did want something to keep stuff from sliding around in the bed. I might try to do a rubberized undercoating or bedliner treatment on the bed mat to see if I can make it grippy since I'll have it anyway.

I am surprised to hear it takes up an inch of vertical room. I didn't think it would be that thick.
To clarify a few things. The bed matt is like a hard rubber feeling and there is some texture. I just don't think it is as soft as some had expected. Think some were saying it felt like "hard plastic" but to me you can tell it is rubber it is just a bit firm.

My estimate on 1" thick was a little off. Maybe more like .5 - .75 of an inch.
Sleeve Denim Electric blue Metal Tool

Here is what bugs me the most. When trying to slide things in they get caught up on the edge (because it is not flush with the tailgate):
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Window Automotive design
And the part where the bed matt bends for the brunk:
Truck Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Wood

·
Registered
101 Posts
My last 3 trucks had no bed liner...because every scratch and every dent tells a story...A story that is part of my life history.
My last truck had a bedliner AND a bed matt..... that's the OCD AR story of my life...... 🤷‍♂️ 🤣

·
Registered
27 Posts
I like my bed liner. It keeps dirt and junk from getting into the grooves for the brunk. It also adds some protection when I carry rocks or other hard items. I replaced the terrible plastic clips with some inexpensive carabiners. The only thing I dislike is it doesn’t drain water as well as the unlined bed, even with the cover up water will collect a bit in it.

·
Registered
Limited
162 Posts
My SC finally saw some rain today. It was kind of heavy at one point. The bed had water in many areas. I don't see the water running out of the recessed areas easily.

I actually bought a full size truck rubber mat. I'm going to use this as a template and cut it to fit the SC. Hopefully that will be a better solution than this mat.

White Automotive tire Black Road surface Grey

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Automotive exterior Grey

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can't decide if I should line the bed or just start scratching it up now and get it over with. What is everyone thinking?
After getting into the bed on my knees, the first thought was that I needed something to soften the pain. For $190, the dealer bed mat is nice but the price is too steep. I settled on some gym floor tiles from Home Depot for $20. It is a pack of 6 tiles and you only need 4 of them. Just cut it to size the bed rails.

Here's the link:

Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Window

·
Registered
603 Posts
It sounds like a little water will inevitably come in along the tailgate. If the original designers couldn't provide a 100% solution, it may be awhile before the collective wisdom of the community stumbles on one.

Meanwhile, we need to deal with the drips following each rain.

I'm thinking of cutting a 6-inch wide strip from an old towel or blanket. This would serve to soak up and control that water to prevent it from running all over. Just a quick wring-out, then hang it up to dry. (Hmmmm, maybe I'll make a few 'bed bath mats' while I'm at it!)

·
Registered
Limited
162 Posts
In my case, the seal doesn't even really seal against the tailgate. If I put a light in the bed and close everything up I can see a sliver of light between the tailgate and the seal. Across most of the seal. I am going to adjust the tailgate so it closes just a little further when latched. It should seal better and the sheet metal of the tailgate will match the bedsides better.

Although I think that will help my situation a lot, I still doubt this setup will ever be completely sealed up. Just something people need to keep in mind when they have stuff in the back.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts