Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Look at the rubber seal around the vehicle doors, then look at the tailgate, big difference. The tailgate is not sealed. No truck bed is water tight. The brunk has a seal, so if want to be sure something doesn't get wet then put it in there instead. The bed cover is made of interlocking metal pieces like a tiny, roll up garage / warehouse door that slides along a rail or slot, thus it too will never be water tight.

Another bed liner choice might be outdoor or marine carpeting. Or apply standard truck bed liner to it. If the plastic surface is prepped correctly the bedliner should stick. Now it might be worth keeping an old blanket or similar in the brunk for transporting some objects to avoid scratches in the soft plastic liner.

For reference just this year I finally put a coat of bed liner on my Dakota... in the previous 19 years it only got minor scratches and dents. Honestly I only coated it because I'm selling it and wanted the bed to look nice. I assume the plastic bed in the SC will survive just fine based on the stuff I haul.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I pick mine up this week and am wondering the same thing. Not really very fond of the Hyundai bed mat and would like to find a removable rubber one instead. For now I'll probably use moving blankets under anything that might scratch. The first scratch, ding, chip, or dent is always sooooo painful.
You should be able to buy one online and carve it out the way you want Bed Dimensions are 43" x 52" : Amazon.com : 4x6 rubber mat

·
Registered
24 Posts
My tacoma had the composite bed, It was great no dents, only scratches.
The tacoma must have been a spray in bed liner then correct? That is a bit different than a composite bed but the effect is similar. I've had 2 Ridgelines before and they both had composite beds. Same thing only scratches and they are light.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The tacoma must have been a spray in bed liner then correct? That is a bit different than a composite bed but the effect is similar. I've had 2 Ridgelines before and they both had composite beds. Same thing only scratches and they are light.
Tanya the tank was an '06 with a real composite bed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can't decide if I should line the bed or just start scratching it up now and get it over with. What is everyone thinking?
I'm waiting for Bedrug to make one. Had a Bedrug in my Taco and really liked it. They already have one for the Maverick, so it shouldn't be long.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm waiting for Bedrug to make one. Had a Bedrug in my Taco and really liked it. They already have one for the Maverick, so it shouldn't be long.
I bet one could get a piece of short pile indoor/outdoor carpet that would work. Just make a cardboard or construction paper template of the bed.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
10 Posts
I pick mine up this week and am wondering the same thing. Not really very fond of the Hyundai bed mat and would like to find a removable rubber one instead. For now I'll probably use moving blankets under anything that might scratch. The first scratch, ding, chip, or dent is always sooooo painful.
In my case, the seal doesn't even really seal against the tailgate. If I put a light in the bed and close everything up I can see a sliver of light between the tailgate and the seal. Across most of the seal. I am going to adjust the tailgate so it closes just a little further when latched. It should seal better and the sheet metal of the tailgate will match the bedsides better.

Although I think that will help my situation a lot, I still doubt this setup will ever be completely sealed up. Just something people need to keep in mind when they have stuff in the back.
I have mine and love it and it’s already proven very useful for me and kept the bed completely protected and went on a picnic and was great to remove it and placed it on the beach to hold all the food and stuff and opened the access to the cooler full of drinks. Great day and everyone was in awe of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same issue. The tailgate leaks, water in the bed, mainly in the back but also front, from the “not waterproof” tonneau. Overall, I like the bed liner & the OEM tonneau cover. However, I carry a tarp if Im carrying luggage.
JG

·
Registered
341 Posts
I actually bought one off of Amazon that was for a larger pickup (can't remember which one now) and just trimmed it down to fit. Got one of their Warehouse deals and it was about $35. I just have it laying in there not secured but I always keep the cover closed and if it is open, there's a load in there so I'm not worried about it coming out. One of these days I'll probably secure it somehow...

I posted pictures of it in another thread

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,002 Posts
Oops! You can delete... (I see the pictures I was looking for on the first page)

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Limitied (black/black)
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I actually bought one off of Amazon that was for a larger pickup (can't remember which one now) and just trimmed it down to fit. Got one of their Warehouse deals and it was about $35. I just have it laying in there not secured but I always keep the cover closed and if it is open, there's a load in there so I'm not worried about it coming out. One of these days I'll probably secure it somehow...

I posted pictures of it in another thread
I decided to go the same route. I have this incoming. People but liked it excepting the strong rubber smell, but it will be in the bed so I think it should be fine. It is 53.7" wide (bed is 53.9") and 43.2" long (bed is 48.4" long) and is designed to be easily trimmed to fit the wheel wells. It is rubber, which I was looking for. I wanted something non-skid and that would protect the bed. Worst case it was only $35.60 so no big loss.

·
Registered
14 Posts
After getting into the bed on my knees, the first thought was that I needed something to soften the pain. For $190, the dealer bed mat is nice but the price is too steep. I settled on some gym floor tiles from Home Depot for $20. It is a pack of 6 tiles and you only need 4 of them. Just cut it to size the bed rails.

Here's the link:

View attachment 3313
Great idea and I'm going to try that today. Thanks

21 - 40 of 48 Posts