Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was set on buying the SC out of the gate, because I love the entire design and it checks all the boxes. However, with the F-150 Lightning and Gladiator 4xe likely on the horizon, I am hard pressed to drop heavy coin on a limited SC with such ****ty fuel economy. Anyone feel the same and planning to wait and see if Hyundai will add a HEV/PHEV powertrain in the near future?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, I'm definitely thinking about it. Especially after seeing what Ford is able to do with a hybrid option of the Ford Maverick. It signals lots of great less expensive, high mpg options for the future. But likely will take a few years and I'm already tired of waiting, so may enjoy the Santa Cruz for now.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
TBD
41 Posts
That's exactly what I'm going to do. There's just too many other options on the horizon that have the potential to do what I need better than the SC.

Originally, I was sold on the SC for styling, size, technology, and fuel economy. Well the styling doesn't look quite as nice as the concept (still looks very good though), the fuel economy is on par with some full sizes, and pricing isn't going to be too much less than a full size.

Between the Lightning, Maverick, Gladiator 4xe, next gen Tundra, next gen Ranger, electric Silverado, Cybertruck, and possibly Ram if they jump into the midsize segment, there's just too many cool offerings right around the corner. By the time the SC hits dealer lots, I'm sure we'll have more details on some of these other options.

How can Hyundai reel me back in? Either offer a hybrid, or something like this N-line rendering. 2 completely different products, but I would drop an irrational amount of money on this rendering....

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Limited in White
5 Posts
The problem I see with the Maverik is most of the safety features are an option. I was looking at the Rangers and from their base low price it is hard to find anything that isn't $10 to 15 thousand more than their base model and still doesn't have all the safety features the Hyundai will offer. For me the Maverik is also almost as tall as the Ranger. I might wait and see if the Ranger upgrades their interior to something better than my 2010 Chevy Colorado interior. I was a bit disappointed with the live showroom. It didn't tell me any more than the car sites already did really.

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Limited in White
5 Posts
That's exactly what I'm going to do. There's just too many other options on the horizon that have the potential to do what I need better than the SC.

Originally, I was sold on the SC for styling, size, technology, and fuel economy. Well the styling doesn't look quite as nice as the concept (still looks very good though), the fuel economy is on par with some full sizes, and pricing isn't going to be too much less than a full size.

Between the Lightning, Maverick, Gladiator 4xe, next gen Tundra, next gen Ranger, electric Silverado, Cybertruck, and possibly Ram if they jump into the midsize segment, there's just too many cool offerings right around the corner. By the time the SC hits dealer lots, I'm sure we'll have more details on some of these other options.

How can Hyundai reel me back in? Either offer a hybrid, or something like this N-line rendering. 2 completely different products, but I would drop an irrational amount of money on this rendering....

View attachment 834
The 22 Nissan Frontier looks like it could be a good possible alternative also!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I expect a hybrid SC in the future. This vehicle is a big gamble for Hyundai so they are likely dedicating more resources to the Tuscon to reduce risk since they know it will sell.

For me the MPG are what I expected and on par with my second vehicle choice (Ford Ranger). The Maverick's lack of style, cheap interior, smaller engine and weaker tech put it a distance 3rd as a replacement for my Dakota.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The fuel economy is killing me. I currently do my 115 mile cummute in a 2012 car that gets 38 MPG, and cutting that by 25% is difficult to justify in 2021. I don't know what I'm going to do. Need to see pricing a trims before I make a decision. But Hyundai dropped the ball on efficiency.

And the Maverick doesn't really meet my expectations in that regard either, for what it's worth. Sure, the hybrid is great for people who can take advantage of it (especially fleets). But hybrids aren't good for my type of driving, and even if they were I'd have to pass without an AWD option. So both the Mav and the SC have been somewhat of a let-down in the MPG department. It's even got me thinking about an F-150 Lightning, which will be priced fairly closely to these two small trucks as long as you're willing to get a bare-bones version (after the EV tax credit).

Not sure what I'm going to do. I did sell my Frontier in anticipation of getting one of these trucks. And winter is coming, so my hand feels a bit forced. But it's conceivable that I try to get by for a year without a truck, especially if there's some indication of a more efficient model in the pipeline.

·
Banned
GET YOUR ADVENTURE ON!
469 Posts
For those that want a real "truck" there are other options. For those that want a Sport Activity Vehicle with an open trunk and a brunk, there aren't.

If you want AWD, then there doesn't seem to be much of a price or fuel economy difference. The Maverick forces you into a 2.0L Turbo & Slushbox if you want AWD (about $27K in close to equivalent trim), while the Santa Cruz offers you a 2.5L & Slushbox or a 2.5L Turbo & Wet DCT. I suspect any fuel economy difference between the two will be more than made up by the power of the Santa Cruz.

With that said, if Ford offered the Escape Hybrid AWD in the Maverick, the game changes. Likewise, if Hyundai offers a Santa Cruz Hybrid, the game changes again. Strangely enough, both of those configurations are already available in each manufacturers other models.

Therefore, IMHO it all comes down to price and if you want a real "truck" look and function or a Sport Adventure Vehicle with an open trunk and brunk. ;)

·
Banned
GET YOUR ADVENTURE ON!
469 Posts
It's even got me thinking about an F-150 Lightning, which will be priced fairly closely to these two small trucks as long as you're willing to get a bare-bones version (after the EV tax credit).
$39,974 to $90,474! 😱 Even with the $7,500 "potential" federal tax credit, that's a lot of wallet drain. Only $100 due today.*

*Fully refundable. You will be able to place your order beginning fall 2021. First shipment beginning spring 2022. (Sound familiar?)

·
Banned
GET YOUR ADVENTURE ON!
469 Posts
Oddly enough, the two vehicles I'm weighing against each other is the Santa Cruz SE AWD (estimated mid-twenties plus) to a custom ordered 2022 MB Sprinter Cargo 2WD 144 i4 Diesel low or high roof with black steel wheels (starts a little over $40K with that engine). How weird is that?

The Sprinter is a longer term purchase than the Santa Cruz, but at this point I'm thinking about moving that dream forward and calling my vehicle purchases done for life, because I don't want the i4 Diesel option to disappear.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah, I'd love an F150 Lightning, or even more a Rivian R1T, but I'm just not willing to pay or finance that much just for a vehicle. I think truck prices have gotten ridiculous. That's why I'm excited about these compact truck options that are - maybe - actually affordable.

Of course, I've never bought or owned a brand new vehicle, and most I've ever spent was $26k, so I'm sure it just depends where you are in life. Plenty of people seem to have no qualms about carrying $60 to $90k in car debt. Not for me.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (eventually)
324 Posts
I'm holding out on putting my deposit down for two things ... PRICING ... and my wife to get the contract in her hands for a rather large promotion. Right now we don't really need two vehicles to commute to work together (about 100km/60mi each way) - but when she moves to management, that schedule can change and we'll need to drive separately fairly regularly. Thankfully, she's fully on board with my SC plans. :)

Currently, I consider the Maverick my runner up choice. With the options I'd want, I have no choice but the 2.0T until they come out with a hybrid AWD version. But at 39-44k (CAD ... our prices are much higher than the US ... starts around $26k for the stripped down base model here), it still wouldn't have everything I expect the SC will have in the same expected price range. Basically, right now Hyundai would have to come out with pricing at or above Ridgeline prices to guaranteed lose my sale. Too much into the 40's and I'll take a harder look at the Maverick. Ford's advantage for me is I have two 'local' dealers to choose from for sales/service. My nearest Hyundai dealer is an hour and a half drive each way. Much less convenient. I know someone with the Bronco Sport 2.0T and they've been very happy with it. The size will be pretty much identical for the Maverick ... just a bit longer ... and I'm good with that. The looks just don't do anything for me, and I love the SC's integrated tonneau cover and in-bed trunk. (Are we going with brunk on that??)

So, I'm not second guessing yet ... but I'm also not fully committed yet. The second I see pricing I'll have clarity though. They need to announce pricing ... like, a week ago.

·
Banned
GET YOUR ADVENTURE ON!
469 Posts
I expected to be in a 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz in mid-June (the reason I'm somewhat willing to pay sticker - 6 months of free driving has value), but I guess that was just high hopes on my part. The biggest issues with a Sprinter is roof height (can't garage), fast food drive-thru height issues, elderly parent ingress/egress (but can use a ramp if a wheelchair ever comes into play), and size for a DD around town currently. Five or ten years down the line, those things won't matter to me as much...

So although I have been keeping my options open, I'm still committed to the base model AWD Santa Cruz if it's priced similar to the Tucson, I like the looks inside and out in person; and it drives as good as the 2007 Honda CR-V I'm driving now. This little CR-V is surprisingly peppy! I can't imagine it being less enjoyable.

·
Banned
GET YOUR ADVENTURE ON!
469 Posts
So, I'm not second guessing yet ... but I'm also not fully committed yet. The second I see pricing I'll have clarity though. They need to announce pricing ... like, a week ago.
You have the same high prices issue that my old childhood friend now living in Australia has. Everything is priced higher there. Sometimes the prices he states simply blow my mind, even after currency conversion.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (eventually)
324 Posts
You have the same high prices issue that my old childhood friend now living in Australia has. Everything is priced higher there. Sometimes the prices he states simply blow my mind, even after currency conversion.
Yeah, conversion doesn't account for the gouging we normally see. Extra taxes are the main culprit. Like our gas ... currently around $5.66 a gallon where I am. On the other hand, we also won't even have most of the trim options that you'll have in the US. SC will ONLY be 2.5T/AWD in Canada. And, honestly, I'm cool with that. AWD is incredibly valuable here in the winter. Yes, I've driven through horrifying conditions with just FWD ... doesn't mean I enjoyed it. (See the blizzard that hit Duluth, MN in 2019 -Nearly 2 feet of snow fell in Duluth blizzard; new daily records set | KSTP.com - ... I was right in the thick of it, taking my daughter to catch a plane in Minneapolis the next morning. There were parts of I35 that I was doing 15mph and didn't know if I was still on the road or not. White knuckle is an understatement!)

I'm quite set on the middle trim (Preferred with Trend Package). The top trim Ultimate doesn't offer anything extra that I want, outside of the ventilated seats. But I've lived this long without them ... heated is far more important!

·
Banned
GET YOUR ADVENTURE ON!
469 Posts
While we wait-wait-wait... for pricing, I think everyone is now cross shopping other vehicles. Hyundai needs to get moving on their pricing!

Just watched a FM vs. HSC comparison that stated the Santa Cruz will be offered in an off-road tired model and the bed with brunk cover is standard (dating and accuracy of these videos are sketchy at best). But if true, does a standard cover turn the truck bed with brunk into a standard trunk with a brunk? Could this be a way of declassifying this little SAV as "not being a truck" thus allowing an even lower pricing point? Who knows, because Hyundai is strangely silent on pricing.

Found this in my cross shopping (which I wouldn't be doing if the pricing was out), that appears to be the most efficient Sport Adventure Vehicle (SAV) coming to the sunny states.

Watch: Aptera’s Solar-Powered ‘Sol’ EV Cruises the California Coast – Robb Report

1,000 mile range and what appears to be a covered truck bed thingy that you can sleep in! 😱

·
Registered
45 Posts
Been watching development of the Aptera pretty closely, and it's a candidate to replace my wife's Ford Fiesta someday. I still need something with a bed, but the Aptera would absolutely be be on the table if I didn't.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The 22 Nissan Frontier looks like it could be a good possible alternative also!
Funny you say that, I was just reading about the 2022 Frontier and then visited Nissan's website. Yes, the longer we're in the dark about the Cruz the more I look at alternate vehicles. They've had deposit money for close to 2 months and not one update.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I almost bought a Santa Fe Calligraphy this weekend and am likely still going to do so next week. I really like the interior of that car over the piano black truck interior.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I almost bought a Santa Fe Calligraphy this weekend and am likely still going to do so next week. I really like the interior of that car over the piano black truck interior.
My wife HATES black interiors, so if we get the Santa Cruz, it will be a me-only vehicle, or more likely, we may just get custom leather done. We did that with her Optima, and were able to wrap the cost into the vehicle loan since we had it done through the dealer. It was only about $1200 and continues to bring us joy every time we drive that car. It doesn't change the dash and all, but I think it turned out well.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts